Where In The United States Should We Move?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by aaden5823, Mar 27, 2015.

1. aaden5823

aaden5823 Members

Hi friends! I'm Angela. I'm a 32 year old pagan mother of 2. I've lived in the Chicagoland area most of my life, but I never felt like I fit. As an adult, I'm ready to find a home for my girls and I, but I need to find somewhere very different. I'm looking for space so eventually I can start an animal rescue. I want a quiet, peaceful area. I need to be sure that the area we go to allows off grid/natural living. Open minded, friendly people. Good schools without a lot of judgemental or bully children. Reasonable cost of living. I want to regularly be able to roam around nature, not man made places. And no more Chicago weather! I'm a hippie at heart and there's too much hate, anger, and straight up negativity in this area. Where in the United States do YOU think my daughter's and I should move? Any and all recommendations will be researched. Thank you for your time!

2. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

South Central LA

1 person likes this.
  3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Eugene------

2 people like this.
  4. Pieceofmyheart

Pieceofmyheart Grumpy old bitch HipForums Supporter

West Virginia

3 people like this.
  5. aaden5823

aaden5823 Members

Wow! Good start! Thanks folks! I'm going to start looking now! Eugene though... 2nd time I've heard that today. That's assuring. I've also read about Utah and Colorado being very open to people like me. Have you heard anything about these places?

6. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Eugene--extremely active music scene, hippies galore, mountains all around , ocean an hour away, decent weather, (most of the time-she do rain), a newspaper that reminds me of the old Berkely Barb--LA Free Press, deer, turkeys and other wild life in peoples yards, Lane community college, Uof O, remains of Ken Keseys family(music producer--Nancys Yogurt--etc,etc. Good luck with your choice.

2 people like this.
  7. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Mormons.

2 people like this.
  8. aaden5823

aaden5823 Members

Yikes. Good to know.

9. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Boulder, CO or anywhere in Oregon. Or maybe Charlottesville, VA.

2 people like this.
  10. aaden5823

aaden5823 Members

Colorado is another place I've been considering. Virginia though. Hmmm. More research! I'm so excited to have some more leads! Thanks all!

11. Pieceofmyheart

Virginia is the Commonwealth...not the greatest for free thinkers and such. Also expensive place to live.

12. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

That's true of the northern and eastern parts only.

13. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

I've never been, but I always associate Utah with Mormons.
    I haven't met many, and those that I did meet were very nice people...but still.
    I think I'd always want to live near similar-minded people, in a community I feel most comfortable.

14. Pieceofmyheart

I don't know...Roanoke, Lynchburg.....they are all expensive compared to many other states I have lived in. Of course, closer to the beach or DC is higher, but IMO...it is all very expensive. And...uptight.

15. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

That's like the rightwinger fundamentalist nut job capital of America. One cool restaurant and one hiking trail, and the rest is fundamentalist redneck bullshit.

People assume that college towns are liberal, but make sure the founder of the college isn't Jerry Falwell. ;)

Charlottesville and the towns along I-81 are better.

2 people like this.
  16. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Asheville, NC yet. I have a few personal issues with it, but it has a great national reputation for being what the OP is looking for. A lot of people call it the San Francisco of the East.

17. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I was going to mention Asheville but I've never been there so have no personal experience.

18. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

I was joking when i said south central los angeles. I think somewhere like northern cali or oregon would be good. Or maybe colorado

19. aaden5823

aaden5823 Members

You are all wonderful! Thank you all! The LA comment, I'm laughing because knowing Los Angeles, I didn't think you were referring to there. I just assumed Louisiana...

20. broony

broony Banned

Move where weed and guns are most legal.

mountain_seed likes this.