To Sew Or Not To Sew ...

Discussion in 'Clothes' started by slartibartfas0815, Mar 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

Yesterday at a party my favorite (so throwing them away is no option) pair of jeans ripped more in the back and at the side:

[​IMG]

What do you think: sew the rip or just leave it as it is?

2. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

I guess it depends on whether you want people to be able to see your ass ..

3. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

:rofl:

Is this for real?

You would wear something like that? lol That would just continue ripping until you were standing there with that whole left ass cheek hanging out. If you would be comfortable like that, just leave it be.

Me, I'd be pinning and sewing. :)

4. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

would you wear pants like that in prison?

5. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

Normally I wear boxer shorts or boxer briefs (don't know it that's the right word). So there wouldn't be skin showing like yesterday.

Okay ...

No. Guess not. I never was in prison and I hope I'll never have to make use of that kind of accommodation. ;)

6. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

No option (throwing them away) would really be the best option.
    It's just a pair of jeans.

7. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Definitely don't wear them like that, you'll look worse than a hobo.
    If you must, sew the rip, but only wear the jeans around the house.

8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Get out the duct tape my friend!

1 person likes this.
  9. Pieceofmyheart

Pieceofmyheart Grumpy old bitch HipForums Supporter

Well...they aren't "pining for the fjords"...those jeans are dead. Bury them.

10. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

oops...you may be a male, so i am sorry if I thought you were female from your shoes photos...I think those kinds of sneakers are cool on males....but those jeans don't even look soft.....:(

11. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

Yes, I'm a male. No need to be sorry. ;)

No, the fabric is not very soft, that's true. They are very cheap jeans, got them on sale for 5€ instead of 10€ about a year ago ... they are a bit too small for me ... but they were cheap. ;)

I have another pair but I don't like the fabric so much (too much polyester in it) that are ripped too and then a pair that is quite decent (only one rip at the right knee) but way too large. Got that for free though.

I'm quite anti-consumption and freegan since a few months, so buying some new trousers is not something I'd like to do. Especially when I had to shop at those cheap clothing stores. The next clothes I'll buy will definitely be second hand. But there aren't many thrift stores around here.

12. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

lol ...

No way. :D

13. nox_lumen

nox_lumen Member

If your determined to keep them, you may want to get some fusible interfacing or stitch witchery to reinforce the cloth before you start with proper sewing of a patch. Don't slack and think you can use the stitch witchery alone to hold the patch on because it will eventually wash off while the thread from real stitches will hold up to laundering.

And since you are trying to reduce consumption, try going Japanese style on the next pair with sashiko. http://www.embroiderersguildwa.org.au/Types%20of%20Embroidery/Sashiko.htm

This basic running stitch in decorative patterns was used to strengthen working class kimono by weaving in stronger thread, extending wear while being decorative. If you want to keep it understated, match the reinforcement thread to the pants for a bit of texture without too much flash.

14. slartibartfas0815

slartibartfas0815 Member

Thanks for the tips, but they are gone. I wore them to shreds literally and had to ditch them. My current pair (have only one) is ripped at the knees but that's it (up to now).

15. MochaMood

MochaMood Member

You should sew around the entire perimeter of the tear so that it doesn't fray further. Then, either put in a patch, or sew it closed.

EDITED TO ADD: Ooops. I missed your update.

16. Bluejeansguy

Bluejeansguy Member

Hey my bluejeans are nothing like this picture on the left. Thats jeans picture was taken in August 2009. Now I choped and cut the oldest pair of jeans that looked totally.............after being wore so much, and may thanks to a strong glue from 'poundland' I have two really cool looking pairs of 501s bluejeans . Don't ditch 501s blue, patch em! then do what ya wanna do in them!

17. Iscott55

Iscott55 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I just learned how to sew on a machine about a week ago, i have to say that its actually pretty easy and fun. i had to make 2 pillows for my kids for school.

18. I repaiur eveyrthing I can but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and get rid of item. Put them in recycling bin though because clothing not suitable for wear is often turned into felt or other things.

Iscott55 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.