What Games Are You Playing Right Now?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Terrapin2190, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

I'm more into obscure games and up and coming games being developed or Greenlit on Steam right now. My brother took his PS3, so I've been searching far and wide for interesting PC games lately. Most of which are free. Here's what I'm into at the moment...

Wayward v1.9.2 beta - Roguelike Island Survival. Pretty technical when it comes to gameplay, but it gets more fun the longer you play. There's a wide variety of skills that level up over time which provide you with more crafting recipes and enhance your survival ability. Sort of 16-bit top down exploration. If you like retro, survival type games, check it out!

[​IMG]

Wayward IndieDB Download page
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/wayward/downloads

Transcendence - I find this game amazing and mesmerizing! Can't remember how I stumbled upon it, but it's basically a game about space exploration. You start with a ship of your choosing and travel through various (randomly generated) star systems gathering weapons, armor, and other types of loot; equipping it to your ship to become more powerful and selling whatever you don't need to buy better upgrades. There's an ungodly amount of content in the game and, if you don't mind your score not being recorded, there's also an ungodly amount of user-created mods that further enhance gameplay and add a crazy amount of playable ships, additional weapons armor and other items... even entirely new concepts to the game where you can forge your own weapons from different parts to create weapons that will easily blast through anything the galaxy throws at you! I highly recommend this game! I can't believe it's free! Maybe not for long though, as they're trying to get the Greenlight on Steam, but... we'll see.

http://youtu.be/GOCMW9yUSm0

Transcendence Website
    http://transcendence.kronosaur.com/index.hexm

Transcendence Modding Homepage
    http://www.xelerus.de/index.php?s=mods

Runescape Classic - An older, MORPG game. You have probably heard of the amazing runescape, well this is the most original, oldest version of runescape around. There aren't as many people that play it anymore but it's still fun to experience.

Runescape Classic Website
    http://www.rsclegacy.com

The Oregon Trail Deluxe v1.2 - Yes, the original Oregon Trail game from your childhood. For all you super retro nostalgia fanatics. It's free and works on Windows 7! Not sure if it works on Windows 8 or not, but worth a shot if you're interested. And just so you know, you only need to extract the "Win32" folder from the .zip file in order to run the game. I don't think this game needs any more explaining haha.

Oregon Trail Deluxe v1.2 for Windows
    http://www.myabandonware.com/game/the-oregon-trail-1-2-for-windows-37z

If you have any games you'd like to share, post away! Even if you don't play video games, card games, board games, head games? I'd love to hear what others are playing! I've got plenty more up my sleeve too, if you'd like more recommendations. Android games as well and some nifty card games I've come across.

kinulpture and Happy Art Girl like this.
  2. rocketman88

rocketman88 Supporter HipForums Supporter

I currently play a number from old classics like half-life 2 and a reworked version of half life called black mesa. I play heavily on a mass online game called planetside 2 which is amazing and a recent open world zombie game called dying light. I have also purchased a indie game called stranded deep a island survival game its still in the early stages as they are adding to it.

3. audrey_the_endotherm

audrey_the_endotherm Members

Oh my Spelunky is super addictive, currently I am keeping my distance away from the game, it was consuming too much of my time. Rogue Legacy is a game that had a similar impact on me.

Transcendence looks like something I could get into, I will have to look into that some more.

Currently I am not playing much, just waiting for Bloodborne to be released.

4. Terrapin2190

I'm big into survival games. It seems like the genre's catching on and expanding pretty quickly! Rust has been in development for a long time, or at least I've been hearing about it for a long time, and it looks cool, but there are SO many other great ones coming out. Quite a few on Android even! Survival in Rusted World (Android) is pretty good and has great graphics for a handheld game. Also, "The Forest" looks interesting. I'm excited about this, since I've been hooked on survival games (true survival games) since playing Stranded 2 years ago, which is now free for PC. Graphics are severely outdated, but still a great game.

5. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

I've just been into some Xbox 360 idie games, free trials and $1 games. Old school style shit.

This one just came out and is addictive as hell, called Disastr Blastr, a twin stick shooter.

http://youtu.be/ANhb8qn4d08

Some other great Xbox idie games:
    Decimation X3 - like Space Invaders
    Aqua Kitty - like underwater version of Defender
    Amniotic - another shooter.

6. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I just finished the Order 1886. Lucky for me I Redboxed it because I beat it in under 24 hours and half the game was a cut scene. It was not a bad game but I would not be happy if I had spent $60 on it.

1 person likes this.
  7. 123Souljah123

123Souljah123 Members

Tryin' to play dying light, graphics good but storyline so weak. it's rly make's me sad.

P.S. and this 2 button's fight system totally awfull, i pass game for over 50% and get only bored . Next gen games look's great but taste like shit .

1 person likes this.
  8. rocketman88

I play dying light with mods makes it way funner. I admit the storyline isnt the best bit everything else you can do in the game is good.

9. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

My favorite games are oldschool RPG games, likes zelda and secret of mana.

I thought i might try making a NES legend of zelda style top down RPG ... even as simple as Legend of Zelda for NES seems ... i can tell it's actually a massive amount of work. I think i might try something more doable but i want to do the RPG eventually.

[​IMG]

^ that's what i made so far. i made that yesterday, it doesn't really "do" anything yet, there's no enemies or anything yet. the sprite for link i copied off the internet because my own version looked pretty terrible. the other graphics i made. the red things are supposed to be flames/torches and the yellow things are supposed to be rupies :p link doesn't walk properly, just slides around in the same positin which looks ridiculous, in order for that to work you need pictures of link in all possible positions (back, front, both sides) as well as different feet positions so it looks like he's walking.

the floor tiles are the same picture as my avatar .. i thought it would work okay for floor tiles for a proof of concept since it tesselates well.

2 people like this.
  10. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

Star wars knights of the old republic and morrowind

11. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Your game looks very cool and beautiful, Ace....

1 person likes this.
  12. deleted

deleted Visitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2azO25JtFo

13. AceK

that game looks cool

14. Terrapin2190

I've seen people make some pretty incredible things with RPG Maker. But if you're starting from scratch, you could try checking out The Spriter's Resource.
    I used tons of sprites from there for building things in Terraria. Among other things lol. There's some other website that has a ton of sprites too, but can't think of the name.

Not sure if there's any software for Linux (I think that's you'r main OS if I'm not mistaken). There's all kinds of nifty developing software though and fan-made games. Some, like Super Mario Bros X have built in level creators and things like that.

Looks pretty good where I'm sitting tho! A lot better than I could do with the knowledge I have haha.

The Spriter's Resource
    http://www.spriters-resource.com/

Sprite Database
    http://spritedatabase.net/

RPG Maker Homepage
    http://rpgmaker.net/

1 person likes this.
  15. Terrapin2190

Speaking of Terraria... I never did get around to attempting to build this.

http://www.terrariaonline.com/attachments/head-jpg.51578/

That's too much playin. Literally. An epic creation, none-the-less.

Here's a link to his other creations if anyone wants some pixelated eye candy :D

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/pulses-worm-pit-evolves-into-the-crater-vs-the-valley-wip.59756/

If you have Terraria for PC, he even posted a link for people to download his world. Pretty neat being able to float around a world with that much dedicated art.

16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i loved the original rpg maker. i had rpg maker 2, but it was stolen before i finished my first game, and i never replaced it. i loved the concept, but there just weren't enough options. it was almost impossible to make a believable setting other than the medieval and sci-fi options that were built into the game, and more importantly, i needed to be able to upload my own soundtrack rather than use the extremely limited options offered in the game. i had a bunch of ideas for games, with 4 or 5 of them pretty much fully written in my head, but most of them took place in a modern setting that i could have faked with the available options, but not very well. and in all cases, the whole thing just wouldn't work without the music that i had planned out for it, which was just never an option. which i do understand as far as copyright laws and whatnot, but it's not like people are making games on rpg maker for resale or anything; it's just for personal use and to share with friends.

17. AceK

I'm coding in C and using SDL. i wanna code everything from scratch (except for the low level graphics and event polling and stuff .. that's what the SDL is for). i may even have to write a level editor/ tilemap editor in order to make the levels and stuff. I don't know a lot about SDL, which is why i'm doing it .. right now the tilemap just contains indices into another array that contains pointers to the pixels to blit to that area of the screen. collision detection only works for the screen edges, so i have to figure out how the best way to handle things like that in a clean way. i could put data like that in the tilemap (have the tilemap be an array of structs) or i could make a seperate map for movement. i'm sortof leaning toward putting all the properties of tiles in a struct so that you only need a pointer to the struct to access it but i've read on the internet some people suggest against doing that for some reason. some types of things can't be in the tilemap though, like entities such as the player sprite so for entities like that i think i'll just allocate a struct with all the properties like position and speed for each one like i did for link and keep them all in an array.

the rupees are just tiles, they really should be a different type, maybe an Entity type with properties relevant to rupees. I might need a new type Item, but right now im not sure exactly what or how many differences between entities like enemies and items like rupees there might be. entities and items should both be able to interact with the player by modifying game stats (increase/decrease money, increase/decrease health, enable use of new items, &c) except items don't need to move so it seems like they COULD be the same type and maybe each struct could contain a pointer to a function that could be used to call a function that does whatever is supposed to happen when you touch it. i guess i'm more interested in the coding part than actually making a game anyone would actually want to play. i only started this yesterday and it seems like a lot of progress there's still a lot to do. i doubt i'll ever finish it, i'll probably work on it until i learn what i want to learn from it and never make any more than a few screens worth. i say a few screens because if i did only one screen i wouldn't have to figure out how to scroll the screen.

[​IMG]

this is what it looks like with my own sprite ... he looks like a weird soccer player or something ..

as far as music, i might not ever get around to that part because i can see it ending bad. if i did, it would be one of the last things i did. i expect to spend a lot of my time starting over after realizing better ways to do things, and after i realize that the current design is getting difficult to contend with.

18. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

Actually, I'm pretty sure there are commercial games made with RPG Maker.

I've been playing around with Unity since summer. It's a lot of fun, but incredibly hard. There's a lot of excellent resources out there too, lots of free models, music, sounds, scripts, effects, plugins.. I've made one game that's playable. It's not great - top down shooter/coin collector that just gets harder until you lose - but a dumbass like myself managed to make it in 1 month with my only experience being the skills I gained since summer. With a bit of polish I could put it up somewhere and actually publish it, though I doubt I'd even make a dollar.

Lately I've been playing League of Legends, Dying Light and Titanfall. I regularly fire up classics like Darklands, Fallout 2, Mount & Blade, etc .. But I don't play anywhere near as much as I used to.

1 person likes this.
  19. rocketman88

20. AceK

Legend of Zelda ... second quest.