Clothes Washer Flushes Toilet

Discussion in 'Living on the Earth' started by Aerianne, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I love this!

[​IMG]

"I bet you never pictured this in your bathroom. The WashUP concept puts a washing machine directly on top of your toilet. The idea here is recycling. No one really cares where the water that you use for flushing comes from, after all. When the washing cycle is complete, the water that just cleaned your clothes is stored in a reservoir where it will be used again to flush the toilet. It’s a pretty ingenious way to conserve water and get twice the use out of a given amount.
    One selling point is that the washing machine is higher off the ground, so it’s easier on your back as you load and unload clothing. Plus, this is good for apartment dwellers who don’t have room for a typical washing machine. I assume it can’t back up and filth up your clothes."
    http://www.slipperybrick.com/2008/03/washup-machine-toilet/

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I like the concept but knowing myself I know the design would bug the hell out of me, having to lean over the toilet to do my laundry. Recycling grey water is a great way to conserve water though. My mom has well water and during a severe drought one year she would plug the drain when she took a shower and then use a bucket to fill up her toilet with the bathwater the rest of the day.

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

it depends on how dirty your clothes are when you wash them. i could see getting laundry water so dirty that it stains the toilet bowl in certain circumstances.

also, i would be really annoyed the first time i dropped a sock in the toilet trying to load (or worse, unload) the washing machine.

4. Aerianne

The toilet has a closing lid and the final rinse water is what flushes the toilet.

I still like it.

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

it's not enough to make the man put the seat down so she doesn't fall in, now he has to put the lid down so her sock doesn't fall in too...

1 person likes this.
  6. Aerianne

7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

that is a good idea

doesnt look like it would handle a blanket though...pretty small machine

8. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

handle a blanket? LOL, spaceman...i think of those things, too....:D

It is a clever design, though....some people might like it.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Something about washing clothes near a toilet sounds odd. Poo particles, man...

10. Moonglow181

and i never said I was one of those some people.....:D

11. Moonglow181

It is a perfect design for people who have very little room in their dwellings for a separate laundry area.
    It would not work for me, as I like my bathroom free and clear of everything that I need to use it for. It is my sanctuary....so i was not being rude.

My washing machine and drier are in the 2nd bathroom downstairs here, which is pretty big, and just a toilet and sink in there...so it is basically a guest bathroom or one to pee in when on the 1st floor.

12. Moonglow181

but then I use the oudoors to pee in, too....:)
    so I am really not picky about where I pee.

13. deleted

deleted Visitor

never work in either of my bathrooms when there is a window behind the toilet.

how far of a walk is it to the dryer? ,, I need them side by side, Im funny like that..

14. Aerianne

That's a good question, Orison.

15. deleted

deleted Visitor

I guess it could be an all in one washer/dryer..

16. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

what happens to the shit water, seems we still need to figure out a good use for it too ;)

17. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

As I looked at that design I thought of how heavy and sturdy everything would have to be...how it looked like it was mounted on this heavy tiled/cement wall. mercysakes but I do like it...I think it'd be real cool to have in a motor home somehow too.

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

fnarr fnarr

19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The dryer is attached to the leaf blower, to save on air

20. gingeroot

gingeroot Members

One way or another this seems silly.

Especially since you could just convert what you already have to do the same thing with garden hose, a water barrel, two check valves, and depending where you put the barrel a hand airpump. You could even set it up so that any extra gray water could water plants that you have outside on the other side of the bathroom wall.