Tooth Remineralization?

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by YouFreeMe, Jan 17, 2015.

1. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Has anyone explored the possibility of tooth remineralization--that is the restoration of enamel and the natural healing of cavities?

I first read about it a few months ago here: http://wellnessmama.com/3650/remineralize-teeth/ This article emphasizes diet changes the prevent cavities and restore tooth enamel, and also contains a remin toothpaste recipe that you can make at home.

I was skeptical and I still am, but I started reading more about it, and it might be possible. I looked at some remineralizing toothpastes on Amazon and found one that had mostly positive reviews, with a substantial amount of reviewers claiming that it reversed their existing cavities, much to the shock of their dentists. (this is the product http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I4C074/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) For 12 bucks, I ordered it. Why not, I don't have much to loose.

Anyone have experience with this?

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I recall a well known toothpaste brand advertising with this (restoring tooth enamel to the point that the cavity is gone) years ago in their commercials. Curious why they leave this amazing fact out these days. It probably didn't work and they were told to quit advertising that lie :p

3. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Yea, I don't watch advertisements, since I don't have a TV. So, I'm left to do the thinking for myself :-(.

So, I take it you've never had luck with remineralizing tooth pastes?

4. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

The problem is, the author of the article doesn't cite the actual study. I'd like to see how large the study group, the control group, things like that.
    Her own experience is purely anecdotal and counts for practically nothing.
    I would be cautious too, about swishing your mouth with magnesium, as the author recommends.
    It's an essential mineral yes, but if you get too much it can build up in your body.
    Serious side effects include irregular heartbeat, low blood pressure, confusion, slowed breathing, coma, and death.

No doubt diet plays a role in dental health but I have serious doubts about the efficacy of any "re-mineralization toothpaste"

5. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

She has a series of articles on this subject, and the original one mainly sites studied from Dr. Weston Price (I don't know much about him, other than his most basic research on the teeth of isolated people). Here is the original article the she wrote

http://wellnessmama.com/1756/reverse-tooth-decay/

6. Gongshaman

Thanks, nothing new there though, as I did go through several of her articles looking for a link to the study. The whole phytic acid thing stinks of anti-grain paleo diet stuff thats currently popular. One thing of particular note that tipped me off that she's less than informed, she states that bread should be natural sourdough, with no lactic acid. Sorry, lactic acid is a yeast by-product... it's gonna be present, to a greater or lesser degree in all sourdough bread, like it or not.

I looked up some stuff on Dr Weston as well. There are a lot of other lifestyle factors to consider than just the diets of these isolated peoples who supposedly have less tooth decay.

7. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Yea, you're right, she isn't a doctor. As I mentioned, this blog was the first time I had heard of tooth remineralization. I'm by no means paleo, and I know the whole sourdough idea stems from the paleo diet. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with tooth restoration.

8. Gongshaman

I would be interested myself, but I would be very critical.

I do love sourdough bread BTW! Especially the kind thats not sour! (Lower in lactic acid)

9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Fluoride hardens tooth enamel! Well, really it doesn't but they's been feeding us that bullshit line for decades, so it must be true.

10. Asmodean

Well, I didn't wanna imply the commercial (or that they don't advertise with remineralisation anymore for years) did the thinking for me :p It seems I have luck with not getting holes in my teeth at all :) But not with remineralisation just by brushing them well... I can imagine though that if a toothpaste is able to do that it would be massively advertised (if they could righteously do that because it works), because it sounds goood :D

11. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

True. I'm in your boat, have never had a cavity. Doesn't mean I don't want stronger enamel.

I can also imagine that the mainstream dental industry makes a lot of money off selling non-organic toothpaste and giving people fillings and root canals. It might be tough for a small, organic herbal toothpaste company to compete with that.

1 person likes this.
  12. Asmodean

I like the idea of stronger enamel or keeping it strong as well of course (i did have some cavities years ago). Well, more now then as a kid. We used to get these bites of stuff at the dentist that were supposed to help it keep strong and you have to sink your teeth in it and keep it like that for awhile. I hated that so much I always started a row and skipped it. Does seem like I have the least cavities in my family so far :D

13. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

That sounds like a fluoride treatment. We had those, too. Kind if madness if you think about it, knowing what we know now about fluoride. Probably better that you skipped it!

14. Gongshaman

Right because everything mainstream is by default and by design counter to good health. Jeez

15. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Not everything, but a lot of things. Watching television, for instance, often involves a lot of sitting and not too much thought. Most foods that have commercials associated with them. A lot of popular cleaning products. It's not that they were necessarily designed to make you unhealthy, but they certainly don't contribute to health at all. These products are crafted to make a profit, and I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that some companies don't want to make less money or no money, due to another company curing the problem they claim to prevent or solve.

1 person likes this.
  16. Gongshaman

I won't debate the details, but I do agree with your basic premise. It's one of the biggest things that suck about living in a capitalist society where large conglomerates can use their might to push aside or eliminate the competition. Most of it rides on the poorly educated publics lack of discernment or even the impetus to try to discern. Commercial advertizing, if it's well designed, capitalizes on this. Good luck selling your product based on it's merits alone, you gotta have some kind of hype and a big blaring advert. Then there's the opposite effect as I've pointed out here, some people have become wary of mainstream, and for good reason. Then in backlash, believing the snake-oil salesmen simply because they are anti-mainstream. Research and critical thinking are extremely lacking in our society, and it scares the crap out of me.

2 people like this.
  17. Asmodean

They're not out to get us, they're just out to get our money :p But its good to keep in mind that if that counts for anything it is for snake-oil salesmen. At least mainstream products and producers are (often) subject to research and critical thinking (there is some left in our societies :D)

2 people like this.
  18. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Totally. I agree for the most part. This thread makes me sound a bit more paranoid then I am. Either way my toothpaste shipped yesterday and I'll update this eventually to let everyone know how it goes.

19. Gongshaman

Naw, you don't sound paranoid.
    You're getting some of Dr. Christophers tooth and gum powder then? It actually sounds good, except for the stevia, yuk! LOL
    Don't mind me, I'm just not fond of the taste of stevia. Too licoricy. It's still better than some other sweeteners I guess.

20. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Yep, getting the tooth and gum powder. Stevia is alright. I think they put it in there to make the paste taste less unpleasant. Most people demand minty freshness in their toothpaste, not herbal clovey-ess.