I Dislike 'psytrance'...change My Mind?

Discussion in 'Ambient and Trance' started by GoingHome, Jan 5, 2015.

1. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

I challenge ye to change my mind. :)

Things I dislike about most 'psytrance' I've heard:

1) Monotonous.
    2) Monotonous.
    3) Anxiety producing.
    4) Monotonous.

Please, help me understand the appeal psytrance has for you.
    Yours truly,
    G :mickey:H

2. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Idk why you would wanna force yourself to like something that you dislike, but here is one of the few psytrance artist i enjoy. I'm not even 100% sure if this is "psytrance" but oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRLlkG176Bc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40V0sKpqZLU

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Do more drugs...

4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I like psytrance because it has an energy to it which I find lacking in most psychedelic music. The repetitiveness of the music helps facilitate a trance state of sorts and psytrance seems malleable in a way that alot of music is not. A wide array of samples, effects, and instruments can be used to convey a variety of feelings and sensations. The sound is often layered and the music often has shifts which on the surface may seem subtle but can be quite drastic, particularly while appreciated on psychedelics. Psytrance can range from cutting edge, polished futuristic sounds to organic, tribal sounds.

Infected Mushroom - Bombat: http://youtu.be/DdyCY_4xzAw

Shpongle - The Dorset Perception: http://youtu.be/bQyR-FXJCLk

Michele adamson ft. cpu and dynamic - blood on th…: http://youtu.be/tv14ZUCvMJU

5. IMjustfishin

IMjustfishin Member

what kind of music do you actually like?

psytrance is diffrent from trance and house. if you dont like any kind of electronic music than it might just not be for you. i went through a psytrance phase, then a regular trance phase, then house, now im into alot of deep house and tech house. if you tell me what kind of music or current artists that you like maybe i can recommend something. i have a really wide taste for music, from everthing electronic to hardcore, to bluegrass.

that shpongle song obeve, i woulndt consider psytrance. its more ambient and experimental. still great for tripping, one of my favorite artists.

also, it depends on the drugs and vibe that you are in. for example, on lsd, i like to hear deep heady complex shit like shpongle, or radiohead or psychedelic rock, but if your on uppers or xtc, sometimes deep slow bassy house is cool, or full-on psytrance. the flavors vary widely.

6. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Hallucinogen and Schpongle are the two groups that immediately come to mind with this genre. Overall I find this type of electronic music to be generic, bland and repetitive. It also calls to mind a certain stereotype I don't really have a fond association with.

7. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Ambient? Shpongle has some ambient songs but I'm not sure how that song would be considered ambient.

8. IMjustfishin

IMjustfishin Member

yeah your right, not that specific song. i actually think most of their music is genre defying because its so experimental.

1 person likes this.
  9. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

Well, I can see the appeal to the songs posted but they still don't seem to 'go anywhere' if that makes any sense. I like all kinds of music, too. And Shpongle, although not something I'd go out of my way to really listen to (not counting this thread [​IMG] ), I give them some credit for using such a wide variety of sounds and samples.

When it comes to the EDM that gets closest to 'trance' I'd say I like more stuff like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpdG-9oEr10
    or
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kRBt6K1VMY
    With traditional 'breaks' and such. That's about as close as I can get with this genre.
    Just seems there's a TON SHIT TON of paint by numbers 'trance' out there. Right?

I guess if I was on a lot of uppers, at a doof, I could get into the dancing part.

10. IMjustfishin

IMjustfishin Member

^ heres a question i always ask people who are "not that into" shpongle: have you heard it on LSD?

11. IMjustfishin

IMjustfishin Member

who has heard hallucinogens band Younger Brother? awsome as fuck! they started out as experimental like shpongle, but gradually became more like radiohead but more electronic. highly recommend.

12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Yah i like most Younger Brother, not as consistent as Shpongle imo but the good stuff is up there with any of the psybient/experimental stuff.

I Listened to this track on mescaline during the day, watching plants swell in size and 'dance' to the music. Pretty spectacular.

Younger Brother - Crumblenaut (04): http://youtu.be/0pXEQQLSFNk

13. IMjustfishin

IMjustfishin Member

have you heard their newer stuff with the singer? hes lead vocals in almost all the songs in the newest album.

i wish simon posford would make more music, he says the record label is going through some tough times financially, hes a regular poster on the shpongle forum on the official site. makes alot of sense because the target audience is pretty small and we all download his shit. thats why its so important to support live music, im gonna see shpongle in march in south florida (dj set). just the dj sets are pretty sick, its all remixed live so you never know what your gonna get and it always sounds fresh and new and fucking mind blowing.

14. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Yah I have heard it, some of it is good. The Radiohead comparison is fair in terms of composition, although the tone is quite different. Radiohead often has this sombre, eerie, slightly paranoid vibe in a lot of their music, it's almost like they distrust the instruments they are working with. Lol!

Been a minute since I heard the Younger Brother album but I recall it being more euphoric and accessible.

15. IMjustfishin

IMjustfishin Member

i think radiohead is like the best band alive right now! i kinda compare everything i like to them.

1 person likes this.
  16. IMjustfishin

IMjustfishin Member

1 person likes this.
  17. IMjustfishin

IMjustfishin Member

that shit right there nigga, that shit right there!

still gives me goosbumps, you gotta listen to the whole thing though, no skipping around, its the only way you'll "get it".

18. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

19. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

20. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

I don't get the appeal either....much prefer regular trance.