What Would You Have Done?

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by RainyDayHype, Dec 22, 2014.

1. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I think that there was no 'injustice' done, so I don't understand your need to 'right an injustice' because to me I see this situation as simply a situation like many others where two or more rude people happen to be rude to one another. It's not like you were standing up to bullying, violence, etc. You simply were in a bad mood because these teenagers were loud and you were asked to do something you didn't want to do, which was give them the basketball back. While he simply was in a bad mood because he didn't get what he wanted in the manner he wanted it. Big whoop! Two people not being nice, not having common decency, and not having basic respect for one another is something that conveys the negativity of the human condition, but it's not injustice, at least not to me.

Also, just because you happen to be rude to one person in one situation doesn't make you a rude person. Same goes for the teenager and his friends. You both are allowed to make mistakes and even allowed to not think something you have done or said was a mistake in the first place. You're both allowed to think you're not being rude... ill mannered in any way as well. It's not the end of the world. It is what it is. Shit happens. But, if you really feel like you could have done better, just do better next time. Plain and simple. But, if you don't... you're still a great mother and I'm sure he went home and kissed his mother because he actually respects her. You two are still decent people that won't kick a puppy, throw acid in someone's face, go to prison... as you mentioned, and whatnot. Sure, from this situation I assume neither of you are better than yourselves, but I know for a fact you're both decent, which is more than enough. Not a lot of people are better than themselves, because it's hard to do that.

2. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I think people don't respond well to destructive criticism, like the one you displayed for this teenager. Unless it's within a controlled environment, like the military or something. But, for every day, uncensored, uncontrolled, natural life... acting like you did... that will only result in one of two kinds of people. People who hurt themselves or hurt others, particularly the person that acted that way to them.

I just don't understand people's mentality in thinking that if they act like a douchebag to someone that the person will realize how much of a douchebag they're acting like. What is the logic in that? I think that's just an excuse, giving self-righteous justification to act like a douchebag.

3. NurseSteve

NurseSteve Member

Too many crazies out there. I think that the safe thing to do would have been to ignore his comment. You don't want a group of thugs to intimidate you around your kids. Since you did not know these "little angels" just letting it go for once might have been the safest thing for you and your kids.

4. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Am I being detained?

That is threatening. Threatening children.

If these idiots want to involve random bystanders with their sport they must realize that people don't understand the aspects of the sport or it's equipment. They should be tazered. The fact(?) that they target nice people with their douche-bag antics pisses me off even more. Pick on a gang leader if you have something to prove.

5. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

The easiest thing is to just have tossed him the ball and not kick it, that is insinuating your disgust at the mere fact of a simple request. End of situation. It is not like he said, "bitch, hand me the ball". You got called "bitch" in retaliation on his part.

IMO you started the escalation when all you had to do was just grab the ball and toss it back. Unless your hatred of sports and as you say you're "clumsy" then maybe you flew off too quickly because of insecurity and didn't want to show your lack of "skills".

Again, just toss the ball back. Police? That is just wasting their time for a comment and won't do anything but make them remember you next time and "accidentally" miss the hoop and land on you.

Reverse the situation, you kids ball rolls onto the court, you ask if they can toss it back, they deliberately kick it hard and past you, your reaction?

6. I'd have fearfully handed him the basketball and then tried to look cool while I walked away.

7. bamalamaboo

bamalamaboo Members

I know this post is way old but i think the OP totally overreacted and agree with xenan (and btw I am female). No matter how uncoordinated a person is it should still be possible to pick up a basketball and toss it in their general direction (this just seemed like a weak excuse to me). And it seems hilariously hypocritical that the op complains about the prevalence of "fowl" language ruining her park when she responded to this kid's remark (in front of her own kids) with her own profanity. Makes her argument against profanity in the park a bit weak, no? And calling the police on a kid bc he made a nasty comment is insane! It's also just a pointless petty gesture that wastes everybody's time (the OPs included).

I also don't understand why it is assumed that all these kids playing basketball in the park are future convicts? Why? Because they're playing basketball in a park instead of getting drunk or high or sitting at home playing video games and watching videos online all day? I'm sorry but this makes no sense--in fact, I'm pretty sure studies have shown the opposite is true; when teenagers have somewhere in the community to gather and be active they're less likely to become juvenile delinquents. Most of the juvenile delinquents btw, are sitting around getting drunk or high or out trying to steal stuff in the effort to get drunk or high. The park is a PUBLIC PLACE. This means it has to be SHARED by EVERYONE, not just people with little kids. If you want a private park go to a gated community.

8. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

jesus christ

9. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

old thread is old

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a94jraWNG-g

11. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I blame you entirely for escalating the situation.

What any normal human being would have done was to show some common courtesy and decency by handing him the ball. If you had done that I’ll bet his response would have been “Thank You”

Hotwater