Frying Pans Aka Skillets.

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by Bilby, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

The other day a woman told me that she paid $300 for a heavy aluminium base Teflon coated frying pan. I would not give $3 for one. I once bought a cast iron frying pan ay a garage sale for $2, The wood section of the handle was missing, so I cut a section of broom handle and drilled holes in both ends and it was as good as new.

2. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

teflon, yuck and aluminum, yuck for cooking...i use either copper bottomed stainless steel or iron.....

3. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

300 dollars? lol did you tell her shes a dumbass?

1 person likes this.
  4. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I worry about all of that Teflon and other chemicals rubbing off in the food I cook. I try to get non-toxic cookware. Who knows it it is really non-toxic...

1 person likes this.
  5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Cast iron or stainless steel... Depending on what I'm doing.

All the Teflon stuff went to the ex... [​IMG]

6. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't know too much about the dangers of Teflon but as for the cost, whatever floats her boat. I just dropped an insane amount of money on something that I really wanted, no regrets! I made the money, I might as well enjoy it.

7. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Teflon has been known to be toxic for like half a century.

To what degree, and what degree it causes harm in humans, we don't seem to really know, but we do know that it degrades in normal use, that normal cooking practices exceed it's "safe" thresholds, and that pretty low temperatures put off gases that kill birds, because their lungs are quicker and give less protection than ours (you know, with the oxygen requirements of flight and all). I don't take this to mean it's no biggie or that we shouldn't worry, personally.

I was horrified to learn this, threw all my teflon shit in the dumpster from whence it came that very night.

If it was really some amazing revolutionizing thing, that would be one thing, but it's not, teflon is no fun to cook on, it's not really very nonstick and the surface goes bad (you know, as you eat all the poisons in it), and even before then you can't use normal utensils and when you unavoidably forget (or have shit burning and have to grab something to flip it) any remaining advantage to the teflon is destroyed and totally unfixable.

Basically it's another big "trust us, you really need this poisonous shit" scheme from dupont, and in a very insidious place. Cast iron lasts for ever, is a joy to cook on and handle, and has a nonstick surface comparable to teflon (better, because it holds oil that actively cooks off whatever's on top, in a way that teflon can't) that you can repair any old time it gets scratched or worn or sticky.

And if you want a snooty nonstick pan, I believe very high end resturant quality aluminium, like omlet pans, are teflon free aluminium, with a very light seasoning (still very delicate and scratch-prone, but not poisonous) - could be wrong on that one, just what I've been told.

The marketing strategy is to make pans throwaway, like everything else, because you don't make as much money selling pans that last centuries. People buy new pans every time they move into or out of dorms, apartments, rentals, etc, and justify it each time because their teflon pans are nasty and ruined and rough and scratched, and the dollar store or walmart only has the same crap, my generation doesn't even know a better option exists, they don't go to the hardware store to buy pans....

I don't regularly use anything but cast iron.

8. Bilby

Good for you.

The smell of Teflon heating is my pet hate in the kitchen.

1 person likes this.
  9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

[​IMG]

I love the smell of teflon in the morning!

2 people like this.
  10. happynewyears

happynewyears Members

nice, i just microwave everything, but i got pots and skillets and whatnot sitting around so when guests come over i look like i cook home meals all the time

11. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I'm not in the market, but what is known about the ceramic non sticks?

I'm happy with cast iron, enameled CI and using some oil in stainless.
    But a clad aluminum would be fine with me. I tend to use acidic ingredients, and that allows aluminum degradation. To, cladded cookware isolates the aluminum to the core.

12. Bilby

^^^^^^You mean what is sold here at least as "Stoneware". It may be ok but I am quite conservative when it comes to food.

13. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I have heard that using iron cooking ware...you get added good iron in your food. I have also heard that if you use aluminum...you get that in your system, too, which is no good.

14. Bilby

It is a case of buyer beware when it comes to buying kitchen equipment. There are many items for sale that are big on style but not very durable. If you pick up a catering ice cream scoop you will notice it is more clunky and durable than the cheapest domestic version. There is nothing stop ordinary members of the public buying kitchen equipment from a catering equipment shop, Having said that you can sometimes find good kitchen equipment at some cheap import shops and occasionally at garage sale.