Drumming Questions

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by hollowman678, Nov 30, 2014.

1. hollowman678

hollowman678 Guest

i just have a few quick questions ive been wondering about for awhile. first question: Is there any specific technique to hitting a crash with an UPSTROKE? I was watching one of my favorite drummers the other day and he hit the cymbal at the end of a fill from underneath instead of crashing down on the top like everyone else. ive been trying to figure out how to do it and get it to sound good but the cymbal just doesnt want to move that way. any suggestions?

Second question: Does anyone do any sort of conditioning for playing hard hitting shows? Im in pretty decent shape. cardio could use a little work haha. But i find when im playing a hard hitting rock show im gassed out pretty quick. I am a big fan of the drummer Ray Luzier and tend to play like him. I just seem to get worn out too quick and i get too excited and start gripping the sticks too tight. Any thoughts on this would really help thank you.

1 person likes this.
  2. deleted

deleted Visitor

free float the cymbal or get a better stand that allows it to go that way.. / Im no drummer / but Ive seen some differences in the stands that make the noise change. but I really dont know.. you should ask the drum guy at the music store..

boxing, pull ups, push ups..

3. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

i think to just trance , and then too , sometimes just hit the air rather than a drum
    that hits you back . there's plenty of energy . no need to display the max since that
    doing that is only theatrics .

4. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Practice more. Playing rock drums is not an Olympic event. Fatigue comes from tension in your technique.

All the best drummers I've played with were skinny, never worked-out or trained in any way other than playing a lot.

1 person likes this.
  5. HebrewsTrouble

HebrewsTrouble Members

I know it sounds dumb but....can you just mount a crash upside down?

6. volunteer_tommy

volunteer_tommy Elongated Member

Not a drummer, so I don't know jack about technique for hitting things and my rhythm sucks, but I can offer advice on form because tension and fatigue is a problem that can strike ANY musician: Learn to play relaxed before you learn to play hard hitting. It's all about control, but loosening up so you can actually put your energy into whatever you're trying to do instead of wasting half the energy in the tension caused by excitement - it becomes a very inefficient system.

7. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hubby said use the butt of the stick i.e. back-sticking.

8. briezie13

briezie13 Members

http://youtu.be/Spzfuo69bns
    Watch and learn...

9. briezie13

briezie13 Members

http://youtu.be/-N8qI8zs6wo

his guy has a great "underhit" technique..

1 person likes this.
  10. briezie13

briezie13 Members

http://youtu.be/RXyCjGtmWT0

1 person likes this.
  11. briezie13

briezie13 Members

Btw, he states that he simply uses the moeller pull-out motion on the cymbal..

1 person likes this.
  12. fiddlepete

fiddlepete Newbie

buy a set of drum sticks