Why Is Art Important?

Discussion in 'Art' started by RichardTheFrog, Nov 16, 2014.

1. AlongTheWatchtower

AlongTheWatchtower Banned

Without art life would be boring and expressionless.

1 person likes this.
  2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

everyone needs a vacation beyond the world they're familiar with.

art made us human, and without being able to glimpse things we wouldn't otherwise see every day, we would all be living under the most absolute forms of tyranny.

3. Art create solid dreams. Enter human psyche every time consider.

1 person likes this.
  4. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Art represents all I feel without using words. And when a painting resonates with me, I wonder what the artist was thinking. Science can be open to interpretation but not like art. :)

5. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Would you rather live in a society with architecture that looks like this:

[​IMG]

Or one that looks like this:

[​IMG]

This is why art is important

6. Andy Cole

Andy Cole Members

This is important because art is a mirror of society, its problems, a pressing issue, all this is very important. People thus express their position in the current situation.

Deidre likes this.
  7. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Art has nothing to do with social issues and pressing problems. Art is not a medium for people to express their position. Art is a way of escaping all this crap. Art is illusion, sensation and delight in shape, form and colour.

8. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Art expresses metaphors, while science expresses distinctions and, without metaphors, life itself would be impossible. Your shadow is a metaphor for what's missing from this picture and metaphors have proven to be more persuasive than distinctions. Calling someone a "terrorist" or a "freedom fighter" makes a difference, even if they are not actually mutually exclusive, because each emphasizes different metaphors. Even the physical world can be considered metaphorical with, for example, someone holding a cup of hot coffee being more likely to have warmer feelings towards someone they are talking to and the brain organizes language itself metaphorically according to the proximity of syntax.

Apparently, the reason for this is that the human mind and brain are fundamentally analog and quantum mechanical and, using metaphors, we can take a wide variety of shortcuts that classical logic does not support. My own belief, is the dreamer and the dream are ultimately indistinguishable, making art a physical necessity as much as anything else. Without faith in our own art, memories, awareness, and personal journey, we can have none of these.

9. TraverGother

TraverGother Members

art is important because it gives smiles to everyone. It makes our life beautiful and it serves are stress reliever.

10. P!erre!

P!erre! Members

Hello all,
    Without having read the 129 replies...
    From the cartoon art of the newspaper to the indecipherable art of Picasso...
    The World is tough...if you don't catch something weaker than you, you don't eat or...worse, something stronger than you eats you. The wheels don't stop even when you are down...
    But...
    With no apparent purpose, art "covers" the ruggedness of the World, provides a curtain to the light of reality. Bread & water is not enough. We are always children and at some point, there is no price for smiling...
    P!erre!

11. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I used to live in that society. That's City Hall in Boston, MA

But I always preferred this building:
    [​IMG]