Oregon Price Drop

Discussion in 'Cannabis News' started by cookiecache, Nov 12, 2014.

1. cookiecache

cookiecache Member

Another fall, and the price of fine herb has dropped even further in Southern Oregon and Northern California. Have seen very good outdoor going for $800 lb, top shelf outdoor $1000 lb. Some towns have very little other income other than the cannabis trade. Indoor is doing a little better, but not a lot.

2. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Too bad money doesn't always bring satisfaction. Getting high is what I appreciate. Plant a seed, grow a plant no worries.

1 person likes this.
  3. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Being in the pot business is great, but if you were propped up because of artificially high prices caused by prohibition, I'm not bothered by you having to change your business model. I'm not bothered by the lawbreaking, but am interested in just about nothing more than the repair of the law, which will make today's prices seem insane in a few years. Think about how high that price is, considering that it's just a pound of flowers off the top of a common plant.

The trend will only accelerate, now is the time to take advantage of being in a legal state and start or join a real business and not get left behind. If you get left behind in some of the first few states to legalize, well shit, you suck at this weed growing thing...

In fact, removing the profit from criminals is part of the point of legalization.

3 people like this.
  4. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Uh, you might think that's all it is, it sounds like you've never grown your own.

#1. It ain't easy.
    #2. There's a long learning curve (years!).
    #3. You can't control the weather.
    #4. You can't control the cops.
    #5. You have to invest a LOT of money and sweat to produce anything of quality.
    #6. "Common Plant?" You sound like you'd smoke anything green. Big difference among strains, not to mention phenomes.
    #7 Growing Indoors: More investment in equipment, more prone to diseases, etc.
    #8 Rip Offs
    #9 Risk of Imprisonment
    #10 The number of ppl who think they can grow but can't ever produce anything anyone would want to consume.

So think again... Pot will never be cheap unless you grow your own.

2 people like this.
  5. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

The shits cheaper to grow than tobacco. I'd like to see RJ Reynolds and the like begin growing and producing. It would be so cheap it would put all these greedy bastards out of business and make growing at home a hobby like wine-making.

If weed was produced industrially it would be so cheap fast food restaurants (for instance, lol) could afford to give away mid-grade shit for free, like they do packets of mustard and catsup!!

2 people like this.
  6. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Lots of industries require special skills and equipment - it's very light agriculture on a very small scale - much more is possible, at the same qualities we currently have but with much better efficiency.

It's just plant, and it's not a rare plant - lots of plants require careful tending to have good flowers, that doesn't mean they should be worth 800 a pound.

I mean, this thread directly contradicts what you're saying - he's complaining because of price dives.The price is going down, that means somebody's got it figured out and scaled up more effectively. The legalization is still just getting started, so the prices will continue to dive, as more of the country becomes weed-self-sufficient and as it gets safer and more open to be involved in everywhere.

He's complaining because all some areas have for industry is the weed black market and it's artificially inflated prices - well those areas better think about how they're going to transition into legal production and business right now, or they're going to be left behind - nobody is going to buy inferior untested under the table crap from scary gun-wielding backwoods fucks when they can do business with people who want to work an above-ground company, and save huge amounts of money and be much safer and all that.

Of course I think it's good if people grow their own pot, I think everybody should grow pot - and when everybody's growing pot, how on earth could the price be 800 dollars a pound?

I care about the weed and the freedom, not the money - please do make money and start businesses, but we've already had enough bullshit with the grower pushes that killed prop19 originally and humilliated us all and held our movement back - we need to distance ourselves from that kind of trash. This is about freedom, not propping up people who have been getting a free ride on the criminalization of the rest of us.

7. skip

Check this out:
    http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/fsb/0807/gallery.most_expensive_foods.fsb/4.html

Saffron costs $1500 a pound. And it's just flower parts. And it's perfectly legal, without any limitations.

The reason? It's labor intensive, just like cannabis.

Also, as long as it costs >$200 to get someone to hand trim a pound, a pound will always cost $500 or more.

Of course that would mean that our multinational Industrial Cannabis Producers will just send the raw product to China to be trimmed and packaged, then shipped back to us.

Yes, of course! All trimmers and growers and smokers want buds that are processed in China cause they'll be cheaper, right?

8. Gongshaman

They have these things now called automatic bud-trimmers, ever heard of them?

They come in industrial sizes too.

Probably a little costly for a small grower, I'm sure they pay for themselves rather quickly.

BTW, since only the styles and stigmas of the saffron crokus are used, to produce 12 g (0.42 oz) of dried saffron (or 72 g (2.5 oz) moist and freshly harvested), 1 kg (2.2 lb) of flowers are needed (wiki)

9. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Saffron is hardly a fair comparison.

It's used in far smaller quantities - the price of using it daily would be a tiny fraction of the price of being a daily cannabis user.

It's not a matter of needing things sent to china to lower the price, it's a matter of the price currently being due to very inefficient practices that evolved around very small scale production - the price will be demolished by US entroprenuers doing things better - there's no reason to complain about this, unless you're speaking for the bad growers who can't get out of their cartel business model (ie. one where you can have a really sloppy business, because of the huge profit margins).

10. skip

Smoke 'em if you like 'em like that. I don't. and most medical users (and dispensaries) don't want it either.

If you don't examine each bud, who knows what you're gonna get? Let's see, mold, powdery mildew, caterpillars, bugs, etc. Yummy!

Have you EVER smoked large scale commercial crap? It makes Mexican bricks look good (as they are far less likely to have tons of pesticides and other chemicals on it).

There will ALWAYS be a market for the primo, hand grown & trimmed shit among medical users, connoisseurs and the iPeople.

11. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

That key I bought in SF--1970, for 50 bucks looks pretty damn good right now.

I'd like to grow my own. Problem is--it wouldn't last because of the meth heads that ride around here on ( probably stolen) bikes lookin' 'ta steal whatever.

12. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Of course.

But with less penalties and lower risks, the market will not stay the same - the good shit will get cheaper, just like everything else will.

I expect to see it like coffee in my lifetime.

On that note, fuck painting ourselves into the "treat it like alcohol" corner. Treat it like coffee, I say.

13. Gongshaman

That is the future of the small grower, they will have to follow business model of the the boutique west coast winery's where you are selling a product based on the name of a particular valley or region, no matter if the product is any better than another. Promotions like 'Grown in the pristine sunshine and clean mountain air of [insert state here] southern [insert region here] valley' will be common, and though there will no doubt be those that are growing nice stuff
    RJ Reynolds will have a better, more consistent product for less.

I seem to remember smoking lots of shit that came out of southern Mexico back in the '70s... though none of it was very well trimmed, it came as bush, not bricks. It was really nice, properly cured smoke. Very stoney, tasty stuff, even the shake.
    If some tribe in Oaxaca could do such a great job, imagine If we could grow outdoor weed in the tobacco states, as in the world renowned 'Jamaican lambsbreath'
    It would be cheap as fuck and it would bury the small- time boutique growers.

I'm getting a little tired of poorly cured green weed anyway.

Make mine red and gold.

Hell, imagine if it was legal to grow in Hawaii, Jamaica, Panama, Columbia , Africa! Given the proper genetics, no one can compete with that shit.

(this is all pipe-dream stuff anyway, as long as weed remains classified a scheduled 1 narcotic it's gonna remain very illegal through-out the world. )

P.S. ipeople? lol

2 people like this.
  14. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

No, I don't think boutique weed will go away - the market won't stay how it is now, but there will be room for people who care more than that - I would not buy it from any tobacco company or subsidiary or whatever else, ever.

15. Gongshaman

Why not?

16. arthur itis

arthur itis Senior Member

17. Gongshaman

So, what if it was Nabisco or whatever? Or is this about never buying any product from any major corporation... if thats the case, where do you buy shoes? toilet paper?

18. arthur itis

arthur itis Senior Member

Shoes? Toilet Paper?

What are these things?

19. skip

If you were to buy cannabis from a corporation, esp. a tobacco company here's what you're gonna get: Completely adulterated shit.

Do you know how many additives are in tobacco? In fact, it's often the additives that make it even more harmful and addictive.

So you can be sure that in addition to all the pesticides (they don't need that many for tobacco because the plant produces it's own toxic pesticide), chemical fertilizers and fungicides they will use, you'll also get "taste enhancements" to make their crappy weed taste like something you want to smoke.

Plus you'll get weed that's probably been grown and processed a year before (yummy so fresh!)

So perhaps the casual user will go to the 7-11 and pickup a pack of Acapulco Gold and maybe feel something after the 5th joint...

Good luck with that!

I can guarantee one commercial joint won't do shit for you. Why? Cause they'll want you to consume more and more. That's how corporations work. They want you addicted to their product at any cost. So the commercial cannabis they produce will be of such low THC you really won't get high.

And to support their lame ass pot, they'll pay off politicians to pass laws that limit THC content to like 3% or less on all cannabis sold so that people will have to buy the commercial shit, and smoke a ton of it to get high.

If you don't think this will happen, look at the UK soap bar situation. Not sure if it's still happening, but for years the most commercial, cheapest crap available in the UK proabably only had around 3% THC or less. And it was full of adulterants to make it look like hashish. Worst crap I've ever smoked. That's what you can expect!

20. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

There are some structural elements that prevent that from occurring at the moment outside of cartels. One is the absence of interstate commerce on this commodity. Another is the allowance of licensed grower/processor being of a specific square footage and number and an individual cannot have more than one license. So, I have a couple close friends who are commercial growers for the state of washington. I know their concern is to grow as much high quality product as they can because the market is competitive. They suit up to enter grow rooms and processing areas to avoid contamination because the pot is being tested for contaminates and they themselves think it unethical to introduce unknown variables into the producer consumer relationship.