Crushing The Fine-Tuned Argument

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by relaxxx, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't understand those mathematical equations, but I would think infinity exists, or there would be something very wrong with this picture.
    What is nothing?
    Nothing is something.
    Energy does not die.
    It changes.
    What do you think?

And what is wrong with math or logic?

2. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

The equation basically shows how 9.99999... can have an infinite amount of digits and in that limit, it's equal to 1. 9/10 + 9/100 + ... i.e Σ {9/10, 9/100, 9/1000... }. There are of course an infinite number of numbers between 0.9 and 1 (or 9.99999999 and 1 if you prefer). Practically though, you will never get there; you will never reach infinity in the real world. In the much the same way you can repeatedly halve something and just end up with smaller and smaller fractions. My brain has been awake too long and my head is spinning thinking about this, but think about an exponential function f(x) = 1^-x. The horizontal asymptote of (f) would be y = 0. If you put that function into a graphing calculator you will see the line approaches 0 on the Y-axis at negative and positive infinities on the X-axis but never quite touches it (but appears to get as close as possible to the point that it may as well make little difference); you can't really to look and see if it ever really touches it, we can't actually visualize infinity or the infinitesimal.

0 is almost as hard to wrap my mind around as infinity, except 0 is a real number; it has the smallest possible absolute value of any number. Infinity is not a real number, and we have no clue how big it is, infinity + 1 is still infinity, infinity - 1 is infinity in the same way. So if infinity + infinity = infinity (it is) then it follows that infinity - infinity is also still infinity. It's not finite, so you can't do math with infinity the way you can finite numbers, except as a limit.

As far as having a 0 quantity of something, well that doesn't make much sense to me. You can't have nothing of something. Numbers in mathematics aren't quite the same as using them as quantities.

And as far as your question of, "what is wrong with math or logic?" Well nothing at all, mathematics is all we can really be certain about which is why mathematics is so important in science. Pure mathematics as a discipline is about as hardcore (and logical) as you can get; too bad it's probably too hardcore for me. You should know by now that my posts are riddled with cynicism and hyperbole ;)

3. AceK

replace all 9.9... with 0.9... i can't edit now. I was tired. I'm sure the typo is obvious enough, as well as what i meant, but just in case it isn't see the former.

4. Moonglow181

What? What are you talking about?
    I don't ever question your mathematicical equations, as i don't know what they mean anyway. I am better with concepts of things.....

5. Moonglow181

There was a television show on using numerology to predict the future.....It was called Touch. I watched a few minutes of one episode, i think, as the concept made me feel uncomfortable.......If someone can predict every occurance to happen in any life by numbers......then that would suggest that everything is already a set pattern for everyone....I tend to not like that train of thought.

http://www.npr.org/2012/01/25/145832144/a-boys-magical-touch-predicts-the-future

6. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elvOZm0d4H0

1 person likes this.
  7. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

This part is kind of a mis-speak on her part but she means "...continue to expand in a way as to not allow for stars to form."

The rebuttal to the precision of fine-tuning that there are possibly an infinite amount of numbers between 0.999999999999 and 1 is a really weak rebuttal. This tactic seems little more than an attempt to shield us from the precision of the data.

What difference is there between the type of thinking here and the thinking the theist displays, when they lack a rebuttal against some of the harder to defend arguments against a Personal God and they obfuscate God into some ineffable deity that is incomprehensible for us to understand, yet certain to exist?

In both cases, testability and verifiability are unattainable, it seems like a dubious approach for someone making a clarion call for logic and science.

As far as using words like "much smaller" rather than precise figures, keep in mind the science special/series was made for tv. They tend to approach these kind of things in layperson terms as to make it digestible for the viewers.

Because...

When they finally provide figures, you call it "barely scientific". I'm pretty sure the people here discussing these concepts, aside from perhaps the narrator, are much more well versed in the science than you or I.

8. AceK

im fuckin pissed cuz i made mistakes i can't edit !!!! please no one fine them

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

of gods there might be one or many
    no book you read is the work of any

every word you see or hear
    is the word of man, that much is clear

not that men cannot mean well
    just because they invented hell

1 person likes this.
  10. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

I was driving home from the store.
    Trying to get from Point A to Point B.
    But unfortunately math, got in the way.

I left Point A---no problem.
    The problem is Point B----arriving at home.
    Because it will be impossible to arrive at Point B.
    ----no matter how close I get, there is an infinite number of points I must cross.
    I can never get home------which means I will never be able to again post on Hipforums.
    I am still driving----ever closer, ever closer----ever smaller numbers to cross...
    ...but infinity is infinity.

I will never ever reach home,
    So never again will I be able to post on Hipforums...

Still driving, still driving, still driving...

11. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

That's weird. My car works with fractions AND whole numbers.