Feds Seize Silk Road 2 In Major Dark Web Drug Bust

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by AceK, Nov 6, 2014.

1. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

2. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

....well who could have seen that coming...

(I'm not, of course, complaining about you bringing the news, just commenting on the news itself.)

3. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

Time for 3.0

4. lode

lode Banned

Well yeah, this guy was farming out his web design to FBI agents and buying sports cars with funneled bitcoins.

5. aesthetic

aesthetic Z

They caught the first guy in a coffee shop via !ping

What the fuck you think is gonna happen if you use the exact same design, with the same forum, with the same marketing and the same dealers... You think your security can hold off a floor of the United States Best? Let alone that of nearly every countries top nerds, students, officials and hackers?

.Onion and the TOR network even says that they cooperate to the fullest of ability to censor dismantle and destroy websites that solicit illegal activity. Im all for the free market and the 'underground' but what people are doing now'adays is mental retardation, your never safe, ever. Half these cats on the .Onion could run a tech division for the government and have a high priced, low risk, action filled career or fucking teach Master level degrees... Hey, fuck it; I would rather own a sports-car for a few months. I hate sayin this shit though because I know they are smarter than me, I just got enough brain to know whats clever and whats not.

6. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

what, and become mindless corporate drones relentlessly carrying out the orders of "The Man"?

7. AceK

it got too big .. maybe next time they should change the name, and maybe make it look like it isn't the same thing, run by the same people?

hopefully the FBI won't be able to dump the bitcoins this time. any coins in escrow, in the form of multi-sig transactions won't be able to be spent unless they can obtain all the private keys of all the parties involved.

i bet the people involved facepalmed hard. the SR login component was apparently improperly configured to use TOR and a relatively simple fuzzing technique caused some responses the leaked the server IP address in some of the packet headers, revealing it's location. did they not try this themselves before being so confident? seems like something like that would have been discovered if they had done a security analysis and penetration testing.

apparently also, they did not mix their coins (on first SR) .. i can't imagine why not for something of the nature it was, was it laziness or were they not willing to accept the small overhead to do it? mixing coins won't help you if your busted, but it would help obfuscate things, such as exactly how much money was bein moved.

i wish there was a way to see exactly how the full investigation played out, im sure a lot of it was inside intelligence, and surveillance on certain individuals. of course the FBI had many accounts on SR, and the people involved surely had some chat conversations with some FBI agents without knowing.

i was always a little skeptical, because SR was so big (and known about by so many people), it seemed like something was sure to go wrong because of how big it was.

but seriously, the world needs silk roads. would you rather your drugs be bought and sold this way, or would you rather have violent street thugs that sometimes sell a dangerous product?

8. lode

lode Banned

They caught the first guy buy tracking down a post he made in Reddit asking about setting up a blackmarket on tor, and he registered the Reddit account using his live email. They didn't beat the technology, the FBI caught him through good old fashioned police work.

This guy's situation was also captured through good old fashioned police work. He paid FBI agents to design his site for him. These weren't the united states best computer experts going after these guys. They were law enforcement who caught both through very traditional police work.

Frankly, the US best cyber is in the NSA and military, and are almost completely focused on foreign threats, China and Russia, the latter of which has a much more robust cyber warfare division than we, and are actively focusing it against the US and it's interests in the Ukraine, and NATO.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/trojan-horse-bug-lurking-vital-us-computers-2011/story?id=26737476

http://time.com/3508067/microsoft-windows-hackers-russia/

2 people like this.
  9. AceK

[​IMG]

10. lode

lode Banned

It's pretty classic.

Although very routine for mob busts. This time instead of the mob drug courier being an informant it's a silk road freelance web designer as informant.

I mean it is likely all these big timers will get caught. But so far it's always been human nature and mistakes, rather than any holes in crypto that could be exploited. I do suspect anonymity problems could arise from the full features of HTML5.

http://www.w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml5_geolocation

In this instance you would just be geolocating the tor exit node, so no big deal.

11. lode

lode Banned

The real tragedy is the resources devoted to the drug war, and fighting it's online presence are probably much greater than tracking down pedophiles and crooks on TOR.

A few million lives in Central America, and roaming bands of pedophiles in the dark corners of the internet, are worth it to keep a few people from buying weed, eh Uncle Sam?

Our country doesn't have good priorities.

2 people like this.
  12. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious