Has Anyone Ever Been To Bali?

Discussion in 'Travel Talk' started by Ashalicious, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

I am traveling to Bali on December 19th, for my honeymoon. The most adventurous place I have ever traveled up until now is probably Northern Ireland. Has anyone ever traveled to Bali? What shots did you get beforehand? I have a prescription for a Hepatitis A shot, as well as another medication that is suppose to help keep my tummy in line (Aka hopefully I wont get the shits). I am also going to get a Malaria shot.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. Just_a_woman

Just_a_woman Member

I didn't get any special shots before going to Bali, specifically.

I've been there for the first time almost twenty years ago and it was a great trip, though other sights of Indonesia were more interesting than Bali itself. My last trip to Bali was in 2012 and my aim was to dive to see a mola-mola. I was lucky and did see one. Quite a sight. If you're into diving, or snorkeling, go to Nusa Lembongan to see the manta rays. For the mola-mola, I think it's too late, as they're there around the end of August.

I didn't like Bali much in 2012. It's over built, too many people, car traffic, etc. The beaches were very disappointing, comparing to other places I visit in Asia. It's one fishing boat beside the other.

Please, don't be put off by my comments. If you've never been there, as it is your case, of course you will enjoy it a lot. The architecture is particular, the many temples... it's a different place.

What I did like: the dives were good, because of the mola-mola and the manta rays. Then, there I was, getting massages 3 times/day, foot massages included. I also enjoyed watching dancing shows in Ubud.

The rice paddies are a great sight and visiting the temples can also be enjoyable.

If you want to learn to surf, of if you surf already, Kuta beach is good, I just don't know if that's seasonal.

A very impressive sight is Mt Bromo, worth the trip, but it's in Java, not Bali. They organize trips to go to see it. There are easy ferry links between Bali and Java.

If you're a serious diver, skip Bali and fly to Manado (Sulawesi) to dive in Lembeh for the out-wordly, beyond fantastic muck diving (inform about the season, because I've been there in July and I don't know if it's seasonal). I've been told Flores is also great for diving, easily and cheaply reached flying from Bali, but I have not been there yet.

Have a great time!

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Two reasons I've never been to Bali:

1) Too many drunk bogan australian tourists

2) Its in Indonesia

1 person likes this.
  4. Me2

Me2 Moderator Super Moderator

I spent a couple of months there back in the 80s.
    Its very different now... :(

The best thing there is the culture which is so different from any other. The Balinese dancing is fantastic. The Balinese people are so amazing!

You should try to catch a funeral as those are the biggest events, with whole villages partying.

Stay away from kuta beach unless you like drunken Aussies. ubud is the place to hangout and get romantic.

If you end up in one of the fancy resorts in Nusa Dua, don't set stuck there! That's not the real Bali!

Have fun!

1 person likes this.
  5. IntrepidBerkExplorer

IntrepidBerkExplorer Member

Try my video of Bali with this direct link:

http://www.adventurepics.com/IBE/video1.aspx?VF=Gamelan.wmv

If the link fails to work, ask a search engine for "Intrepid Berkeley Explorer".

From my home page you can go to Bali pages that have a link to AdventurePics. From there you look for the Bali video and click on it. A broadband internet connection is required.

6. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Only once on the way to the UK. As we left the airport between different flights we still had to pay a departure tax.This was not included in the ticket. As Bali has warm weather you might to take summer clothing with you.
    When you come to pick up you luggage at the airport there will one of the locals who will snatch it and expect a tip for carrying ot for you.
    On the beach there are these street vendors who can be extremely persistent trying to sell you clothing and Fake Rolex watches. I explained nicely to one of them that I was not rolling in money.

7. Yogamat

Yogamat Members

Old post I know but for what its worth?The touristy places are just like Benidorm! (Ive never been to Benidorm,just know that its full of pissed up brits abroad!)So for anyone that is travelling,do yourself a favour and go where the locals live,go off the beaten track and see the real country,not the disneyland version.

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I want to Beli this last May.

For the first and last time.

Way too many locals in your face trying to scam you.

Taxis never put the meter on, so that's always a fight.

I was right about you many drunken bogan aussie tourists

Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore way better, think I'll stick to those three.

Bali was shit

9. Ashalicious

What part of Bali did you visit??

I had a very different experience than you..........

10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

So did David Taylor and Sara Connor (Google is your friend, although she does have the same name as that chic in Terminator)

They made a bunch of questionable decisions after, but guaranteed it started becuase the cop tried to rob them.

Me: that hotel right above Tanah lot temple, that was cool. There is a resort right near the airport Patra Jasa (sp?) That was a really awesome resort

But Kuta, The people in kuta.....shithole

As far as tropical islands go, can't beat Oahu, love that place, sooooo going back

11. Ashalicious

We went to Gili Air, fucking LOVED it there. We had to force ourselves to leave the island, otherwise our entire three weeks would have been wasted in that tranquil paradise.

Many other travelers we met along the way advised us to stay away from Kuta, so we cut that part from our trip and spent 10 days in Ubud instead. We did go to the outskirts of Kuta to spend the day at Waterbomb Bali, though, and that was an incredible amount of fun. I had no idea two adults could literally spend 9 hours riding waterslides and not get bored.

Kuta, though. Oh man, the horror stories I heard about that place.

All in all, it was a fantastic trip. I'd go back for sure. Although maybe it's changed in the two and a half years since I was there?

We met some cool Aussies while we were Canyon Tubing, and I've kept in touch with them on FB. They go to Bali 2 - 3 times a year.

12. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

13. ChangMitchell

ChangMitchell Members

Never even realized where Bali is. :afro: