How To Find The Right Group/guru?

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by beyondtheastral, Nov 3, 2014.

1. beyondtheastral

beyondtheastral Member

I have been meditating for 25 years and for the first 5 years been misled by most groups and teachers. I had been given answers like “When the time is right” , “If you have to ask you are not ready”, “In N lifetimes” etc. these clichéd responses are delivered to the student as the teacher guru does not know themselves or cannot deliver the goods.

Here are my opinions on what should be considered

1. What is the objective? – ensure this aligns with what you currently looking for
    2. If the teacher/guru is speaking about Kundalini or Enlightenment – have they attained this state and if so have they managed to guide students to the same state – if they haven’t keep looking!

Note: There are groups that speak about Enlightenment – ask what they mean by this as there is quantum leap in how some groups define it.
    1. Instant Enlightenment (first glimpse of energy) (transient experience)
    2. God consciousness – an infinite state (permanent)

Does anybody have any opinions on conducting a search for an honest group/guru?

1 person likes this.
  2. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

you don't get what you want you get what you are
    the approace is within, and we all die alone

time to act like life matters because too soon it doesn't

3. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Be honest with yourself. You find what you look for providing it is there to be found.

4. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

i know a couple honest gurus - not one single honest group

the honest gurus can be real pieces of shit - you may find they teach you alot more and liberate you even from spirituality itself

be careful what you wish for

you want to feel high asnd mighty
    be a Maum
    be
    a TMer
    a Nirmaladevi twater
    a hugging sanctamoid

give lots of money to charities
    forget to live
    do charity until you're a martyr and then give everyone jesus eyes when they crucify you

or just fucking live and enjoy a good simple meditation like a glass of spring water

people wont give you donations
    you wont be a khenpo
    girls wont dseek out your tantric penis which will droop ever faster as you age

that's my advice
    schmuck

1 person likes this.
  5. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Look in the mirror.

6. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

well - that group changed as sooon as my hair got cut

7. Mr Smith

Mr Smith Newbie

It is very simple to find a guru, you just need one quality, your search must truly be sincere, then you will find.

8. MaxNJackson

MaxNJackson Members

Its not a very difficult task to find an yoga guru. You ca go physically to the workshops and identify it, You can even participate on weekly workshops to find whether its real or not and what else can i say, INTERNET is with you. :bigcry:

9. lovelyfoxes

lovelyfoxes Members

I ve been to a couple different places here ...regular yoga we will call it haha but different instructors and Hot yoga which is on another level haha I def prefer regular yoga to hot yoga thats for sure. So with yoga though the right place and instructor does matter...Ive had a few different instructors and theyre different from one another which is a problem especially if they teach the same class in the same place. Consistency is needed for sure too.
    But I found my little guru in a friend actually, she had traveled out East for yoga and meditation studies and came back a certified yogi instructor haha so she's my go to