What Book Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by butterfly712, Nov 1, 2014.

1. La Ya Ya

La Ya Ya Fueled by Espresso Lifetime Supporter

I know what you mean, but I can't still get lost in the books. I do get impatient with the authors that drag out the stories over book after book with long waits in between.

1 person likes this.
  2. PsyGrunge

PsyGrunge Full Fractal Force

Currently re-reading Stephen King's 'The Dark Tower' series; on book 2 at the moment 'The Drawing Of The Three'.

[​IMG]

May I personally recommend this series to any fantasy/horror/thriller/adventure reader. In fact if you read, full stop, you are bound to find SOMEthing of value here. Imagine Stephen King's take on Lord of the Rings. Well, here it is. Kicking off with the short novel 'The Gunslinger', the series follows Roland The Gunslinger's quest for 'The Dark Tower', of which more is gradually revealed throughout the books. He brings all kinds of elements together and even if you slowly start your way with book one, I recommend you take that step today.. you will not be disappointed and this series may give a whole new meaning to your reading life.

Stephen King - The Dark Tower.

Volume 1 - The Gunslinger > http://amzn.to/2qysD8I

Volume 2 - The Drawing Of The Three > http://amzn.to/2rx1tnw

Volume 3 - The Waste Lands > http://amzn.to/2qrNteK

Volume 4 - Wizard And Glass > http://amzn.to/2rf0yYd

Volume 5 - Wolves Of The Calla > http://amzn.to/2qrBuhd

Volume 6 - Song Of Susannah > http://amzn.to/2qyK3SF

Volume 7 - The Dark Tower > http://amzn.to/2reMk9J

Enjoy.

3. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

Redemption Road.......by John Hart.

4. fundoo

fundoo Members

Finally chipping away at some Roald Dahl. Haha not like it sounds. It is the children's stories, but I'm analyzing them for study. Trying to figure out what makes them appealing and if I can recreate something similar one day.

Currently reading Witches, but also have Danny the Champion. Wasn't Witches a movie?? I seem to recall some scenes in video form.

-----------------------
    this is not the thread I wrote on before. Where was that Stephen King discussion?? hmm

5. La Ya Ya

La Ya Ya Fueled by Espresso Lifetime Supporter

Luckily I found these books after all the books had been written, so no long impatient waits between books. I never read 7 books so fast, I just devoured them! In one of the books Stephen King wrote a comment about a reader that was dieing of cancer and could he please tell her how the story ended because the reader was afraid he/she wouldn't live long enough to read the last book, he/she promised not to tell anyone the outcome. Stephen King wrote a nice letter apologizing to his fan because he had no idea how the story was going to turn out.

6. PsyGrunge

PsyGrunge Full Fractal Force

Yes I remember that story well, very touching so it is. But as he said, it was a journey that would write itself along the way over many years. There was no seeing the conclusion when he himself was in a boat on the edge of a tide, setting sail into a huge unexplored ocean. On another level, the DT series is a cleverly woven linchpin that ties many other of his books together; and I'd go as far as to recommend readers to read a number of his other books before getting into DT. This may be due to the fact he was writing the tower through the writing of these books; so elements came through into the DT story at the time; but either way I find it's really well done, with plenty of 'aha!' moments for those who are already fans of his work.

I enjoy his introductory notes at the beginning of each volume. In one, he recalled a serious car accident he had during the first few books' writing, and a fan wrote to him saying: 'oh no! there's the tower! there it goes! it's falling!'. [​IMG]

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I just ordered this on Amazon. :)

[​IMG]

mysticblu21 likes this.
  8. Michellemarie33

Michellemarie33 Members

Im reading Midnight by Sister Soiljah. Really awesome.

9. Dax

Dax Members

Stormy Weather
    by Carl Hiaasen.

Part of the Skink trilogy set in Florida (where else) during hurrican season. Great read.

riverman18 likes this.
  10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

11. Dax

Dax Members

Haven't read this book but from the look of the cover I think I will.

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

That's like the cardinal sin though lol

13. Eric_R_70

Eric_R_70 Members

The Snowman by Jo Nesbo.

14. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Happy by Derren Brown

15. flippedcanvas

flippedcanvas Members

Insomnia by Stephen King, it's a bit of a long story but given I'm still within the first fifty pages am already supping it in properly!
    P.S. It must be the fact I've been forloughed since mid March that if I put my mind into it will be just fine, I guess that's the same for everyone else!

mysticblu21 likes this.
  16. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I'm finishing up with Spanish 2 and with that turning the last pages I will turn in "Tu Mundo", at least for awhile.

But sometime in May summer session will begin and with it Social Psychology, & Precalculus/Triganometry.

The books for those are digital, and are called "Social Psychology" & "College Algebra and Precalculus".

parua likes this.
  17. Wooster

Wooster Members

Wuthering Heights.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  18. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I'm through with chapter 13 of Social Psychology, and I have to admit I'm glad I read it. Chapter thirteen was on being prosocial (which means being helpful to others) and I just got a really good vibe from the book so far. It addressed some stuff about schemas, talked about prejudice, stereotypes, and different perspectives on biology and culture, as well as evolutionary perspectives, neuroscience, and more cognitive aspects as well as a little bit of philosophy! :) I'm impressed.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  19. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

"Bowl of Heaven" by Larry Niven and Gregory Benford. Reading this is like an extension of the Ring World series. I am enjoying it so far...

[​IMG]