Clothes Lines

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by Karen_J, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

When I was a kid we always had a dryer but on the few occasions it wasn’t working my mother would have me go up on the ladder and attach a rope to the existing pulley left from the previous residents

Hotwater

2. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I have a type of "dryer" that I came up after some R & D (research and development) which involves hanging wet clothes on hangers on the shower rod with a space heater sitting on the toilet and blowing on them.

Aside from that, my Much Preferred method of drying is the good old clothes line. We have the lines fixed at an L (with the shorter leg about as long as the long leg).

I dearly wish we had the kind of clothes lines that have like 3 or 4 lines straight parallel to each other. You could really dry a lot of stuff then!

I also use 2 very old swing sets as a clothes line/dryer. They are so old that no kind of rust or color comes off onto the wet towels and sheets that find their way to the swing sets.

3. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

We had one of those in the house we lived in in Syracuse New York. I often wonder if the more recent owners still have that or got rid of it.

4. farmout

farmout All who wander arent lost Lifetime Supporter

We use them indoors as well, we have some upstairs for rainy cloudy days when we can't use the ones outdoors.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Every clothes line I think we had growing up was the spider web type that would raise up and down with a handle in the middle. And every one of our clothes lines looked like the leaning tower of pizza, and our father would get very upset. :D

6. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think those old Maytags were where the saying - 'tit in a wringer' came from.

7. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I know what a bullnosed verandah is but most people here would not.

8. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

One bullnose verandah at your service ..................

[​IMG]

Hotwater

9. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

........ :D

Cheers Glen.

10. Yogamat

Yogamat Members

I also know what a bullnosed verandah is! :) I can remember in Sth Aust,our first marital home was in the burbs.(Really disliked the burbs).Anyway we decided to move to a small country town.An old guy had previously owned the place.We had an old out house,and when I opened the door to it,I discovered the old guy had left his ancient singer washing machine.You know the kind?Huge bowl,big handle at the side to work the agitator,and a big wringer at the top?I already had an automatic machine,but I asked my husband to hook up the old singer.Wow it worked like a dream!(The old guy didnt want it!)Used to love doing my washing in that old thing!For one you could fit loads of washing inside it.Heaps of fun (And eco friendly)pulling out the washing,dumping it into the old stone sink which was hooked up with rain water.Rinsed the clothes and then threaded them through the wringer part.I didnt care that it took alot longer either.That machine lasted another 5 years until it stopped working one day! :( Never owned a tumble dryer and lived in both Aust and the UK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.