Clothes Lines

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by Karen_J, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Little kids today don't know how much fun it can be to hide inside a sheet hanging on the line.

2 people like this.
  2. expanse

expanse Supporters HipForums Supporter

Walking between the sheets was like walking through a maze when I was a child.

3. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

People used to ask my Mom how she got such a good tan. She told them it was from hanging out the laundry. I don't remember when they finally bought a dryer. I was already an adult and living on my own.

1 person likes this.
  4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

they don't have clothes lines where you are anymore? get out of the city once in a while; clothes lines are everywhere out in the country.

5. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

We had a hills hoist growing up and used to swing around on it all the time. For a while there was and old lounge suite out the back (I don't know why) we used to run along it to get momentum going to swing from the clothesline. There might have been a few injures.

Just like this.
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

always had those when i was living with my parents and they were renting or buying a whole house. i don't think my mom ever did have a dryer. the last place she lived indipendently had one in the laundry room of course, but even then i remember she would hang something on the back porch and some on the shower curtain bar.

every place i've lived on my own had a dryer, and when i was married also. and where i am now, if a hung anything out there to dry, i'm pretty sure the dogs would pull it down and destroy it.

but when i was growing up, i don't think anyone had dryers yet. at least until i was in high school anyway.

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

And back before global warming it used to take forever for the clothes to dry

1 person likes this.
  8. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My lady friend that recently passed, used a set of clotheslines and she still used a Maytag from the 40s with the wringer on it.

1 person likes this.
  9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

we had one of those on the back porch when we had our own house in colfax. because the house used a septic tank, because there was no sewer system outside of that small of a town we lived near, we had to drain the washing machine into a seperate dry well, which is why it was on the back porch. well that and there wasn't any place it would fit inside of the little cabin of a house. i don't know if it was a maytag. more probably whatever the sears brand was on their appliances, although we didn't buy it new either.

this was in 1960, so it was at least 20 years old when we bought it. it had the wringer on a kind of swing out of the way arrangement and the whole machine was kind of tub shaped. that stood up on four legs to make room to attach the drain to the bottom which we hooked up to run out to the rock filled ditch we dug to drain out to the dry well, just a rock filled hole to get rid of the grey water into.

1 person likes this.
  10. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

been a clothesline on this house ssince it was built....i should go take it don for the season

11. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I made my own clothesline in college when they jacked up the cost of using the clothes dryer. That was my way of sticking it to the man.

2 people like this.
  12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I just have a straight one on the back of my garage. We had the twirlies when I lived in Australia. We always bent them though and got yelled at by the folks. >.>

13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i remember, there's a song, possibly john prine? about "hangin out the laundry on a bright sunny day".

the song was some time in the 70s or possibly 80s.

i don't think my parents ever did own their own cloths drier. nor a dishwasher nor a trash compactor.
    driers in laundry rooms and laundromats. before i went up north in 77, i'm pretty sure they almost always had a cloths line of some kind.

and we always used the kind of wooden cloths pins with the metal springs in them. and there were all kinds of neat things you could make out of them too.

14. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Is summertime a bed-sheet is dry in less than 20 minutes. I rarely use a tumble-drier.

15. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Always Had "Straight Clotheslines" Till I Moved Here 16 Months Ago And Ever Since Then I Have Tried In Vain To

Tame The Rotary "Hills Hoist" Clothesline.

Easy To Take Clothes Off, Just Wait Till It Moves Around To The Next Peg........BUT.... When It Comes To Hanging Out

Clothes On Some Infernal Contraption That Moves Away From You With Every Breeze......I Say Bring Back

The 50ft Length Of Wire......Grrrrrrrrrr..... :wall:

Cheers Glen.

16. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

most of the older houses around here have a small door specifically for using the clothesline from the porch without having to go outside

some of the extra old ones have a double door drop off box for the milk too

17. My parents were too poor to buy a tent, so they showed me how to make a tent using a clothesline and a sheet of plastic. I remember one morning, six or seven years old, waking up in a big puddle of rain. The clothesline tents weren't as good at keeping rain out.

18. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Bet They Also Had A Big Porch So You Could Store Firewood Dry Like Many Old English Homes Did...... :)

Cheers Glen.

19. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

no..just small ones to keep the weather away from the main doors

wood wasnt big here...some of the old houses have coal chutes

my great grandmothers house had an open porch/veranda all around the house it was neat...it was high on a hill right near the center of town..its still there but the porch had been closed in

20. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

My New House Has A Bullnosed Veranda Which Runs All Around The House.......My Pets And I Love It When Storms Hit...... :)

Cheers Glen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.