36 replies to this topic

#21 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 34,436 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted July 29 2016 - 04:18 AM

The west... is the best. Get here and we'll do the rest!

Posted Image

#22 Ajay0

Ajay0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted July 29 2016 - 04:44 AM

The west... is the best. Get here and we'll do the rest!

The west... is the best in compounding the problem of greenhouse warming, which is now tipping the balance of nature and global temperatures to the danger side, due to their unrestrained and unregulated use of resources. 

Even though just 5 per cent of the world population, the Americans consume around 25 per cent of the world's oil. 

When the robot mind is mastered, undisciplined thinking ceases and is replaced by awareness. Awareness can know love. You can only experience the new when you are aware, when you are without thought. -- Barry Long

Evil is an extreme manifestation of human unconsciousness. -- Eckhart Tolle

#23 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 34,436 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted July 29 2016 - 04:49 AM

Sometimes I think the sooner the world runs out of oil the better. Still seems a shitload of it though (not all of it is easy to get to). 

Posted Image

#24 Meliai

Meliai

• PipPipPip
  • 11,998 posts

Posted July 29 2016 - 08:43 AM

This thread brings me back to the innocent days of 2014 when visiting Damascus still seemed like a reality, however distant.

Not sure what will be left it it ever becomes safe to travel there at all

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens ~Tolkien

#25 Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationAnother Universe

Posted July 29 2016 - 09:41 AM

Civilized culture is an oxymoron.

#26 BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake

Hip Forums Supporter

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted July 29 2016 - 09:47 AM

Sometimes I think the sooner the world runs out of oil the better. Still seems a shitload of it though (not all of it is easy to get to). 

Somehow I doubt that the transition to an oil free world is going to go off peacefully.

• DarkSideOfTheMoon94 likes this

#27 Yggdrazil

Yggdrazil

Shadow Warrior

• PipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted July 29 2016 - 10:37 AM

I measure superiority of a culture by its production, sustainability and expandability. Western culture might have been superior at one point, but it isn't anymore. Overgrown corporate culture, consumerist mainstream mentality, and die-hard capitalists have sold out their nations. Populations are on the decline and strong family units are disappearing more and more due to domestic issues, mainly the fault of gynocentrism and anti-marriage. Big businesses are completely out of control. Private business should NOT run the lives of citizens.

Edited by StellarCoon, July 29 2016 - 11:24 AM.

• DarkSideOfTheMoon94 and OldDude2 like this

#28 DarkSideOfTheMoon94

DarkSideOfTheMoon94

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted October 24 2016 - 10:54 AM

It has it's ups and downs. Big Business has done a number on it, which in turn has exploited a lot of countries that make our culture appear much better than the rest of the worlds cultures.

All cultures have something to learn from and a uniqueness that deserves a voice, but there are no superior cultures by any means, and if anything our consumerism and "american dream" chasing has led to our decline and has severely damaged our planet.

What defines superior culture in the 21st Century has been determined by how many nukes you have and how high your military spending budget is since 1945.

Both eastern and western cultures aren't perfect, but I think they both have some qualities that if brought together, could form a decent society/culture. (Excluding the middle east on the eastern cultures though, no room for fundamentalism in todays world)  

Edited by DarkSideOfTheMoon94, October 24 2016 - 10:57 AM.

:sunny: If you're reading this, I hope you have an awesome day!  :sunny: 

"Will we leave this place an empty stone,
Or that shinning ball of blue we can call our home?"

#29 NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas

Old Fart

• PipPipPip
  • 7,447 posts
  • LocationIn the bowels of all mankind

Posted October 24 2016 - 04:44 PM

the OP stated "culture" when in reality I'm pretty sure he meant "society" or maybe "civilization".

I can understand America and Europe under the same "society" or "civ" umbrella, but definitely not the same "culture" umbrella.

SOCIETY:

1.an organized group of persons associated together for religious, benevolent, cultural, scientific, political, patriotic, or other purposes.
2.a body of individuals living as members of a community; community.
3.the body of human beings generally, associated or viewed as members of a community:
the evolution of human society.
4.a highly structured system of human organization for large-scale community living that normally furnishes protection, continuity, security, and a national identity for its members:
American society.
5.such a system characterized by its dominant economic class or form:
middle-class society; industrial society

CULTURE:
1.the quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc.
2.that which is excellent in the arts, manners, etc.
3.a particular form or stage of civilization, as that of a certain nation or period:
Greek culture.
4.development or improvement of the mind by education or training.
5.the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group:
the youth culture; the drug culture.
6.Anthropology. the sum total of ways of living built up by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another.

Society is the canvas and frame, culture is the picture painted on it.

Most responses focused on culture rather than society, and as such most are correct that "superior" when talking culture is purely subjective, but when discussing society, it is not nearly as subjective.

the only one who seemed to pick-up on the OP's intention was MeAgain as he discusses societal differences rather than cultural, except when he goes off about special interest groups.

Western culture is more advanced in the areas of human rights, technology, science, and rational thought. There are bumps along the way, but generally we are advancing in all those areas and in broad terms we are ahead of most of the other parts of the world.

It is having problems with morals at a local level in some segments, but at a national awareness level it is improving year by year. The local problems are the result of one segment of the culture advancing faster than others and of certain special interest groups retaining too much power. Also our educational system, due to poor funding and and leadership at the policy level, is not keeping up with the moral changes we are encountering.

What I see is the coalescing of ideas over the course of history, coinciding with expansion/exploration geographically. In that sense we can see both humans and human society evolve as we migrated from the Eastern hemisphere of the planet to the Western hemisphere.

In a very literal sense the North American continent represents a culmination of that movement/evolution of human society and it is superior in that it has been built on the framework of and borrows from almost every other society on Earth, geographically and historically.

Granted there have been and are outstanding "singular" societies, but the real "superiority" is achieved by utilizing the best features of each society/culture into one, which is what a lot of modern Western society/civilization is an attempt to achieve ;)

Edited by NoxiousGas, October 24 2016 - 04:45 PM.

"Do the walls close in and suffocate ya,
you ain't got no friends and all the others they hate ya,
does the life you been leading gotta go?"

"get your shoes and socks on people,
it's right around the corner"

"the poodle bi-i-ites,
the poodle chews it"

#30 OldDude2

OldDude2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 776 posts
  • LocationSouth East Asia

Posted October 24 2016 - 04:58 PM

I was just wondering. Is western culture superior to others (by "western", I am including the USA, Canada, and Europe)?

Islamic culture particularly comes to mind. Did you know in Saudi Arabia (one of our [allegedly] closest allies), they'll chop of your hand for stealing a loaf of bread?

IMHO western culture is vastly inferior to Islamic culture (for men and children).
Islam wins hands down (or should that be hand off) for stable family units, almost no divorce and no adultery ..... the kids always have a mom and dad looking after them.
For men, you don't lose your house, kids or assets in a divorce (if it were to happen), it all belongs to you. Your wife can't restrict or control you through your access to sex, she has no right of consent, they are your property.
My pals in Oman are allowed 3 wives, none of them are divorced, when they have problems with one, they just add to their collection. Strange thing is, the Omani women seem far happier restricted under Islam than most western women with all their choices.
In the western world, a woman only needs to cry rape and point her finger, and the poor guy is arrested and questioned, no evidence needed. In the Islamic world, the woman would be arrested and probably flogged/jailed for lewd behaviour. (now just think about this a bit, Islamic women aren't allowed out of the house alone, so the only reason they could be in this sort of danger was if they pre-planned the event)

So OK, if you're a thief it's not so convenient, but I'd like people who steal my stuff to suffer a bit!

I moved out of the West 9 years ago, to live in the East, and I'm far happier without all the control government and women (I dated/slept with) had over me.
The only people that think West is best, are those that haven't lived anywhere else, and believe all the jingoistic (anti-everywhere else) propaganda their governments feed them

Americans are the only race which passed directly from barbarism to decadence without knowing civilization - Unknown French writer.

Edited by OldDude2, October 24 2016 - 05:19 PM.

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

Click to shop at Royal Queen Seeds