• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Jimbee68

Jimbee68

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted October 03 2014 - 08:26 PM

I was just wondering. Is western culture superior to others (by "western", I am including the USA, Canada, and Europe)?

Islamic culture particularly comes to mind. Did you know in Saudi Arabia (one of our [allegedly] closest allies), they'll chop of your hand for stealing a loaf of bread?

I am somewhat hesitant to say it, because I fear the ire of my fellow liberals. But I want to start the discussion, by saying emphatically "YES".

What do the rest of you think?

:toilet:

• poffeeste likes this

#2 Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla

Go Ape

• PipPipPip
  • 13,852 posts
  • LocationDown Under

Posted October 03 2014 - 09:19 PM

Im not all that interested in Europe, and whats Canadian culture? Snow and trees ;)

Americans make great movies, but I wouldnt want to live there, its almost impossible to get a decent cup of coffee, and I dont want to get shot at.

Im most interested in Japanese culture, when I retire being an expat in tokyo might warrant serious consideration
  • poffeeste and OldDude2 like this

#3 Annwyn'Bri

Annwyn'Bri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 701 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted October 03 2014 - 09:21 PM

Your question is pretty subjective... you need to narrow it down to something more specific. 

As far as superior... again that's an opinion and viewpoint... what is meant by superior? 

I would agree in some areas the west, as you define it, is more advanced in some areas. But superior as in better? No, not really....

I am a liberal by the way, but that doesn't mean I think Americans are better just because we are American.

Namaste, Annwyn'Bri

#4 Meliai

Meliai

• PipPipPip
  • 13,285 posts

Posted October 04 2014 - 06:02 AM

American culture sucks.

it doesn't seem like you're even considering Asian culture which is pretty fascinating. I also find middle eastern culture beautiful once you look past the warfare and extremism. There are thousands of years of history there. Damascus in Syria is the oldest city in the world - I would love to travel there if its ever safe again.

I love history so I'm pretty fascinated by European, middle eastern, and Asian culture. America, Canada, and Australia mostly bore me.

i

• Piaf and OldDude2 like this

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens ~Tolkien

#5 Eztimers

Eztimers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted October 04 2014 - 06:54 AM

As an American, I find we are drunk on our own propagandized information. Freedom and Justice for all, now we wrote that as a slaver nation.

Freedom and Liberty and Justice for all, H'mmm lets see, once the founding fathers set up the nation, within a few years they declared war on the resources from the Applachia Mountains, lumber, coal, minerals, all taken by hook or crook, from folks that did not want thier land, above and below, ripped away from them. 

So more and more LAWs are created for the wealthy to get what they want, and to leave Black Lung, sever poverty and wasted mountain sides, for others to deal with.

Then there is the horror we committed on the indiginous peoples of the Americas that to this day makes me hang my head in shame, as a mighty whitey.

I just recently found out by DNA, my blood has a percentage of indiginous blood in it.

We as a people have got to be more open to understanding other cultures instead of FAKE friendships to get goods and services from from them we can control.

Learn to read words that piss you off, it's the only way to get both sides of an issue, by trying to understand another point of view.

• scratcho, thedope and Annwyn'Bri like this

#6 sheela na gig

sheela na gig

eternity

• PipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationThe Constitution State

Posted October 04 2014 - 02:01 PM

Well, Western does start with WE ..

#7 I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear

voice of sexy

• PipPipPip
  • 39,906 posts

Posted October 04 2014 - 03:40 PM

whats Canadian culture?

US culture plus hockey.

• Tyrsonswood likes this

#8 Moonglow181

Moonglow181

Lifetime Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,054 posts

Posted October 04 2014 - 04:34 PM

I was just wondering. Is western culture superior to others (by "western", I am including the USA, Canada, and Europe)?

Islamic culture particularly comes to mind. Did you know in Saudi Arabia (one of our [allegedly] closest allies), they'll chop of your hand for stealing a loaf of bread?

I am somewhat hesitant to say it, because I fear the ire of my fellow liberals. But I want to start the discussion, by saying emphatically "YES".

What do the rest of you think?

:toilet:

Not in all things...The Asians sure have us beat for natural cures, acupuncture, energy flows etc.....

Edited by Moonglow181, October 04 2014 - 04:38 PM.

#9 Annwyn'Bri

Annwyn'Bri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 701 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted October 04 2014 - 09:16 PM

US culture plus hockey.

Plus Poutine, maple sugar candy, beer and beavers...

Namaste, Annwyn'Bri

#10 Logan 5

Logan 5

Confessed gynephile

• PipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted November 11 2014 - 02:58 AM

Well, I suppose it depends on how you look at it.  You say "western nations" and that leaves a mighty big selection of options to choose from.  Politically we're very diverse.  Financially, the same.  Even the cultures are diverse.

In general I would have to say that yes we are superior.  Look at the region you selected.  How often have there been civil wars?  Pestilence?  Famine?  Yes, yes.  I know.  We have poverty in all of those countries in that region you selected.  However, compare the current situation the Middle East is in to the Western Nations.  Include Africa and Asia.  Western nations versus Africa, Asia, Middle East, and even Oceania.  Why not throw in South America as well?

We're by no means perfect, but I'd say we're in the top 5% of the best place to live on Earth.

“Becoming a dissident is not something that happens overnight.  You do not simply decide to become one.  It is a long chain of steps and acts.  And very often during this process, you do not really reflect upon what is happening...You don’t want to become involved with the dirt that is around you and one day, all of a sudden you wake up and realize that you are a dissident, that you are a human rights activist.” – Vaclav Havel, former Czech President (1993-2003) & activist

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail.  He can be caught.  He can be killed and forgotten.

But four hundred years later an idea can still change the world.

"...You can't build a dream, without a plan...." -- Jefferson Starship ("It's Not Over", "No Protection" Album, 1987)

Click to shop at Sensi Seed Company