I Have Had Mdd For Eight Years, Does Anyone Else Share The Same Terrible Experience With Me?

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Bella Cullen, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Bella Cullen

Bella Cullen Members

I had depression ever since I was 11 and it sucked. I couldnot describe what a terrible experience it was.Luckily I was fine now. I would love to talk to some of you who may also have the same feelings as I do.

1 person likes this.
  2. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

yes, depression sucks. it can be true hell. there are some people who seem to be happy no matter what, and they just can't understand or relate. they think its some kind of easy choice just to be happy. it's a chemical imbalance, not necessarily flawed thinking. the thinking may actually be flawed but it's a matter of perspective. the chemicals affect the consideration you give to certain thoughts, and the thoughts reinforce the chemical activity in the brain.

everyone has these negative and positive thoughts, people with depression subconsciously give negative thoughts more considerations before they become conscious thoughts so that they appear more often in the conscious mind.

1 person likes this.
  3. Indica Eyes

Indica Eyes Members

Hi, Bella.

I was diagnosed with major depression a year and a half ago, but I have experienced some form of depression for pretty much as long as I can remember. I also have social anxiety which, unfortunately, just reinforces my depression.

4. Indica Eyes

Indica Eyes Members

Oops, I hit post before I was ready. Anyway, I take Paxil for my depression (and social anxiety), which helps with my mood but not so much with my motivation, or lack thereof.

5. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

I feel bad for you all. I was clinically depressed for about four years. I'm no longer depressed. There's light at the end of the tunnel. I just finally got on the right meds and got a decent therapist.

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

This chemical imbalance theory is incorrect... MDD is not a chemical imbalance, that is a major advertising scam.

"Dr. Jonathan Rottenberg, argues that the "chemical imbalance" theory of depression is wrong. Yes, biological factors are important to understanding depression but it is a mistake to think that these chemicals are what cause, maintain, or exacerbate suffering. Psychology has advanced quite a bit and we now know that our perceptions, expectations, choices, relationship patterns, and strategies for regulating emotions and thoughts influence our psychological health. Fail to acknowledge this, and you are essentially refusing to examine yourself."

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/curious/201403/what-causes-depression-myths-about-chemical-imbalances

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1nbZCNDgbY

^^^ First part of an 18 part documentary... I haven't watched the whole thing.

There is tons of information about this on the net, I just put together a few quick finds here concerning this chemical imbalance myth.

Most depression is situational, change the effective situation and depression goes away. This is not always easy to do, many people are trapped or can't spot the causual situation. Making the change can be very difficult and can take a lot of mental fortitude but once out of the situation that's causing the depression it's amazing how much better you will feel.... without taking the mind numbing drugs.

If you can start with a good counselor it's much better than popping the latest psyche drugs. They can help spot the situation and give guidelines on getting out of it.

It may mean, basically, starting a new life... But the old one is killing you slowly. Some of those psych drugs can kill you much faster, I know... Cymbalta almost took my life.

1 person likes this.
  7. Laci

Laci Members

Been diagnosed with it for about 4 years, but it started when I was about 6 or 7. It's a VERY tough illness for not only the person with the condition, but their loved ones. I've been speaking to a doctor lately and he's taught me a LOT of coping methods, I'll share a few!

-First, when you're feeling very depressed, you often either TURN UP or TURN DOWN all your senses. When I become depressed, I tend to get lost in my thoughts. The best way to stay present is to engage all of your senses:
    Hearing: listen to music, play an instrument, make noise
    Sight: watch a movie, read a book, look at pictures
    Touch: try to feel as many different textures as you can (a soft bedspread, rubber remote buttons, metal bedstand, run your hands under water), etc
    Taste: suck an ice cube, suck on a mint, eat a good meal, etc
    Smell: one of the best smells for depression is lavendar (spray lavendar perfume on your bed/blankets/clothes), light a candle, make a good meal, sniff herbs you have in the cupboard (or in the stash box)

The goal is to engage all your senses, it helps keep you present. Another trick I've found is that if I'm feeling really bad and listening to my mind too much, I'll identify everything in my surroundings verbally. For example, I'll say, "To my right is a nightstand with a Redbull and some loose change. On the wall is a painting, a window, some pictures, a TV, a rat cage, a closet, the door, ferret cage, dresser, gun, and another night stand. I am in my room, and I'm alive. I'm doing fine right now."

Yet another trick is to reiterate to yourself what you already know (or you would know if you weren't in a funk), such as, "I'm in my bedroom. Right now, I'm going through depression and it's causing me to feel really down, not enjoy the things I normally do, and to isolate myself. I feel depressed right now and that's okay: I just need to wait this out and everything will be fine again!"

Other tricks:
    -Smile at yourself in a mirror
    -Talk to someone (me!)
    -Avoid isolating yourself
    -HALT: Halt before you make any drastic decisions, such as suicide.
    HALT. Am I:
    Hungry?
    Angry?
    Lonely?
    Tired?
    Generally it'll be one of the four. How were you feeling before the depression hit? Try to identify and "fix" that if you can. Before I get depressed, I tend to get angry and hungry. I talk to my boyfriend and find myself a snack
    -Stay positive (I know it's hard)
    -Drink lots of water, eat healthy
    -EXERCISE (it honestly will help!)

Anyone struggling, never hesitate to message me when you need/want someone to talk to. I've been there, and I know how it feels to some degree. Best of luck and hugs to everyone<3

8. Comfortablynumb11

Comfortablynumb11 Member

Yes I also suffer from that though I have certainly had it for longer than 8 years, I've had problems with it at least since I was around 7 if not before and am now 25 and still suffer from it. It really, really sucks at times and while its not always extremely severe it seems like I am never entirely free of it. It also sometimes gets so bad I get to the point of being suicidal, actually did attempt once in the past and thought about it since(but ended up going to the ER instead those last couple times). Thus far it just seems like one of those things I have to try and cope with and manage as best I can...but seems so ongoing and consistent not so sure I could ever be entirely free of it.

I find smoking marijuana helps my mood some when the depression is trying to make me entirely miserable, but that is just me it probably does not help everyone with that....either way I certianly find it more effective than all the various anti-depressants I've tried only to experience unpleasant side effects and no real noticable 'benefit' in how I feel. Smoking marijuana and a good psychedelic trip every once in a while.

9. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

Does the hospital support the use of marijuana? I understand this may be a client-doctor confidentiality thing.

10. Comfortablynumb11

Comfortablynumb11 Member

I do not think so in most cases, not that I agree with that since I think it has potential to help mental health issues or at least provide some relief. Most hospitals and doctors and what not are more in support of pharmaceutical pills and not so open minded to cannabis, though I think that is changing somewhat since there is evidence to suggest cannabis does have medicinal uses even for psychological ailments.

11. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

And that's official under the law. This is going to the revealed essence of instead the Emergency Room one day offering Cannabis as therapy for let's say mood swings. The judgment has it's legal along with medical ramifications.

Tags: