Capitalism Is Pointless

Discussion in 'Communism' started by Moonfox13, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Moonfox13

Moonfox13 Member

The ultimate goal of capitalism: to make money...
    To push workers harder and for less pay,
    To destroy our one and only world for a profit,
    To help other people as long as it pays,
    To have it all , while others starve,
    To turn our resources into trash,
    To turn us against each other,

And for what?
    So we can die knowing that we had the most stuff,
    The most expensive car, the nicest home?

When I tell people there is more to life then just accumulating stuff,
    more novelties you don't need, they reply:

"There is more to life then just surviving!"

I say:

"There is more to life then collecting crap!"

Capitalism will never bring about a better world, a "more perfect union", because
    of the handful of people with to much power don't care about you, or any of us,
    and never will.

4 people like this.
  2. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

the 1% richest have more money than the other 99%

life *is* surviving

3. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

Yes capitalism is pointless.But that's the point.(Or at this point,there's no point...)

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I know this is the commie forum

But seriously, thats just dumb, capitalism is pointless, but what so communism is? pfffft

5. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

the business

- produces and sells good/service
    - acquires a gross profit
    - pays its debts and creditors
    - acquires a net profit (evil.. tut tut)

the individual

- works to produce good or service
    - receives a wage
    - pays their debts and creditors
    - acquires a new profit (not evil.. no tut tut)

its just a case of macro- vs micro

or to put it another way... those who strive and succeed vs those who are lazy bastards and expect

mastrb8tr69 and NoxiousGas like this.
  6. Motion

Motion Senior Member

I think you're over simplifying capitalism.

What brand of capitalism are you referring to? Different countries practice different brands of capitalism based on what type of mixed economy they have. Most developed countries including the U.S have a mixed economy of some type.

7. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

If the ultimate goal of capitalism is to make money then it is not pointless.

mastrb8tr69 likes this.
  8. Comfortablynumb11

Comfortablynumb11 Member

BS that makes it pointless.

9. Comfortablynumb11

Comfortablynumb11 Member

If you honestly think everyone who strives succeeds, and everyone who does not succeed is lazy, than you've got some warped lense you are looking at life through. Also as it stands now a lot of the wealthy had things essentially handed to them via being born in an upper class situation which pretty much already ensures more access to oppurtunities, then at the same time you have people working their asses of for wages that they can barely get by on, let alone support a family/children if they have those and are responsible for it. There is a vast amount of wealth inequality that is only growing...I mean it is rather disgusting when the least amount of people control most of the worlds wealth/resources while the rest are just left scraps to fight over essentially, at least that is what it is coming to.

Also more like the individual
    -works to produce good or service
    -receives a wage
    -can't afford to pay their debts and creditors
    -loses house
    -ends up homeless

or there is always

The individual
    -Goes to college to get a degree to get a 'better' job like their parents and teachers encourage them to do.
    -Get degree
    -Find out there are no jobs availible in that field
    -Try to find entry level work and aren't hired for being over-qualified
    -'hey mom and dad, I'm going to have to move back in with you'
    -then maybe they try to pursue a new degree while accumulating even more debt there is a good chance they may not be able to pay back.

It's the pigs sitting on the majority of the worlds wealth who expect, they expect that they can just continue their extravagant lifestyle, enjoying the fruits of the labor of the rest of humanity. There are lots of people struggling to scrape by who certainly are not lazy, it's a myth that ones wealth reflects the amount of effort one applies.

10. Individual

Individual Senior Member

Capitalism is an economic system which provides us a simple means of trading goods and services with one another. Our great disparity of wealth is a result of our fiat money system. There are many reasons some people struggle to get by besides laziness, and I don't think anyone would claim that wealth is acquired simply as a result of effort, as that too can be the result of many different things. Although I don't think we could ever return to the gold standard, would there be as great a wealth disparity if we never created paper money along with the fractional reserve banking system?

Regardless of the source, or various wordings, of the quote most often attributed to Mayer Amschel Rothschild, "Permit me to issue and control the money of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws!", it appears to have been proven to be a fact.

1 person likes this.
  11. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

BS?, the word goal and the word point have synonymous meaning in this instance.

12. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

What it is coming to???

where have you been since the beginning of time?
    It has ALWAYS been like that ever since the first group of proto-humans chose an "alpha" male to lead the pack. He then got first choice of mates, shelter and food and guess what, ANIMALS DO THE EXACT SAME THING!!!
    doesn't have a fucking thing to do with capitalism or any political or religious ideology, it's simply natural instinct because humans are a social, pack animal.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

Capitalism is interesting at heart. It takes the nature of human's greed and turns it into something good... If only for awhile. In theory, people's greed is what becomes the motivation for doing more, working harder, and learning more to give and get back. In some essence, capitalism still works, but some people cheat the system. What makes me dislike the model, is when we impede human progress for coin. Many countless inventions going closed source is what is evil. The meaning of capitalism is not pointless in any definition. There are so many purposes of it, whether or not you like the meaning is irrelevant.

Being that humans are innately imperfect variables, there won't be any one system that works... What do you suggest as an alternative?

1 person likes this.
  14. Comfortablynumb11

Comfortablynumb11 Member

Well I'd think humans would be able to move on from basic animal instinct, but guess humans are so stuck on it they need a pseudo-survival of the fittest social Darwinist system/society even though its proving more and more ineffective every day, just so some can feel better about themselves at the expense of others.

15. Comfortablynumb11

Comfortablynumb11 Member

I suppose you are right to say its not pointless, me hating it doesn't make it that way...as much as I might like it to.

It is however very flawed and leaves too much room for people to screw each other over, hence why even in the U.S where we have a largely capitalist system there are still government regulations for job safety, product safety and of course the existence of welfare/social safety networks which isn't a concept that came out of capitalism. So it seems for capitalism to be most effective it has to be mixed with other things to tone it down. I myself am still trying to think about the specifics of what a better alternative to the current system would look like that removes capitalism from the picture.

16. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Animals can be communists too. Bees and Ants come to mind. The whole swarm's (proletarians's) existence is to service their queen (or their governing party). Bees and Ants lack individualism, they have no unique personalities that separate them from the rest of their colony. They have no personal interests or motives. Which is why this type of communism can work within their colonies.

Humans are competitive by nature, unlike bees and ants. And there's no political ism that will change that.

17. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Corporations become dangerous when they get too big.

Think about your favorite corner restaurant, pizza dive, or neighborhood bar. Do you want a communist government bureaucrat deciding what they can serve, and what the prices have to be? In a free market, the customers are in the driver's seat. Business owners have to constantly guess what we want, and what we consider to be a fair price. If they guess correctly, they are rewarded with profits. For small businesses, the concept works very well. Small businesses also provide nearly half the nongovernment jobs in America.

I don't hear about anybody wanting to move to Russia for its high quality of life. It's known for long lines, high prices, and limited availability of goods and services. They also have a lot of environmental issues, so I don't see anything superior about their system.

18. Comfortablynumb11

Comfortablynumb11 Member

Perhaps humans are competitive by nature to an extent, and society heavily encourages this trait as well which leads to a lot of greed and economic inequality there is almost an obsession with having to be better than someone, then makes it necessary to ensure there are people on the 'bottom' to be 'better' than. Of course no political 'ism' will change that many humans are competitive by nature however that doesn't mean its necessary to have a system that encourages that particular trait so much. Also I don't see why a lack of individuality would be needed for a more community based society. Perhaps if society encouraged some of other traits moreso than the competitiveness.

Also your example of bees and ants isn't really communism, communism would imply a classless society in what you describe the 'queen' is seen as more important than the other members of the 'society' and those 'under' her serve her, that more resembles what has become of some attempts at communism that failed.

That said I do not see anything wrong with healthy competition but we have a society that is obsessed with it.

19. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

Yeah, accumulating a bunch of stuff just to give it away when you die doesn't make any sense to me. I don't think changing the system will work. Just live differently.

1 person likes this.
  20. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

The struggle between "human nature" and our conception of morality derives from humans unique ability for self reflection and empathy.
    The dichotomy between instinctual behaviors and moralistic self control has it's basis in the different functions of our lower brain structures and our more recent higher brain/frontal cortex. We see a very clear correlation between the size of the higher brain structures and societal, community based and even altruistic behaviors. Such behaviors have been exhibited by all mammals to one degree or another with the most complex interpretation of those instincts existing in human civilizations, religions and governments.
    It is merely that we have slathered on layer upon layer of codified responses and defenses to instinctual behaviors and cues that it is often very difficult to suss out the core instincts at play.

Insects such as bees and ants have a communal/societal system that is much more akin to the Hindu caste system than any other type because a worker bee is born a worker, will always be a worker bee and can never be anything but a worker bee.

1 person likes this.