$Hidden Messages In Bitcoin Blockchain

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by AceK, Sep 16, 2014.

1. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

2. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I read one analyst today who is saying there could be a link between the IPO of alibaba (the biggest IPO ever launched) which is happening today in the US,and the current downward trend of the BTC price. Investors dumping their Bitcoin and switching to alibaba shares. I think that may be one factor.
    But if you have the nerve, or just the confidence, now would be a very good time to buy in anticipation of the price taking off again in late 2014 early 2015.

Meantime, the withdrawal of services provided by CTS to digital currency businesses in the Isle of Mann, which CTS say has come about through pressure from the finance industry, and despite the IoM govt being strongly in support of crypto. Companies such as Netagio, an exchange that facilitates trading BTC, gold and ££, say they are in talks with other financial service providers to fill the gap.
    So the Island's goal to become a key player in the crypto space is probably not going to be seriously derailed.

3. AceK

if it dumps epicly again, like it did last year when it went down to 20USD/BTC i'll probably throw the biggest chunk of money at it that i can. i really regret not doing so then, i would have made out pretty good. i guess i got scared, and didn't really know what to expect.

4. BlackBillBlake

He he...yes it can seem scary at times, even if you don't have a huge amount at stake. Certainly at the moment it's a bumpy patch we're going through.
    I guess all you can do is try to be as aware as possible of all the different stories and factors that play into the whole Bitcoin phenomenon. At present I see both positive signs and a few potential problems.

On the whole though I am still very optimistic about the future prospects, I think it would help if we had some clear signal from the Fed over there or the Treasury here about their intentions.

IMO with any investment it's never a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket. If I had a big chunk to invest right now I'd probably go something like 40/30/30 on crypto, precious metals and other securities.
    But I don't and my BTC holdings are relatively modest. Still, I'm hoping to see a nice return given time, and I will be buying more soon whilst it's at a low.

5. AceK

still seems to be overall downward trend. 480 was just a bubble. it will probably go much lower still before the real pump

6. lode

lode Banned

XSS is an

XSS isn't a bitcoin vulnerability. It's a vulnerability in websites that allow users to input arbitrary code. Forums are a big one.

If a user has an unencrypted bitcoin wallet they're trying to use from acess from a web app that allows users to execute arbitrary code, then yes, it's as insecure a a bad online pizza submission form.

1 person likes this.
  7. AceK

^...i'm thinking that's probably the exact reason that "BBcode" aka forum code was invented.

why use that, when we can have our forms just parse html tags right into the page ??? ;) <script></script> .. ;)

8. lode

lode Banned

That is the reason for the BB code. However, now that we're using HTML5, all of the same sort of client side XSS are possible as with javascript. It means no script isn't a sure thing anymore.

Interestingly, it also means that as your clients are running code from your browser, you can require them to do cryptography for you. It seems to me that a better model for web applications is to just have javascript workers crunch bitcoin for you, rather than selling all their personal information to third parties. Which is the way the web works now.

9. AceK

sounds a lot like a botnet, that doesn't sound legit at all! it does sound more legit than selling the personal information though .. it's almost like stealing, making money off other people's things. if anyone should make money from it, it should be that person.

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

so; government of the dollar, by the dollar, and for the dollar, doesn't like the idea of competing currencies, even imaginary ones, or perhaps especially imaginary ones. surprise surprise???

1 person likes this.
  11. BlackBillBlake

No surprise at all.

But here's something real that's outside their fiat money ponzi scheme game.

12. AceK

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

precisely why they'd be intent on torpedoing it. dollars to doggy nuts, its either the fed, the nsa, or contractors hired by the corporate chamber of commerce doing the hacking. with plants intended to incriminate anyone honest with themselves.

14. AceK

i think everyone should calm down .. if one read everything in this thread they would understand things better...

yes, it's a "hack" .. lot's of things are "hacks", most of the time providing functionality that wasn't implicitly designed for .. the bitcoin protocol is solid.

edit: and no, the government/federal reserverve isn't crazy about it i'm sure, because it threatens their right to exploitation of american citizens .. and they can suck my cock as far as i'm concerned. cuz that's just tough, i dont like everything about this world either.

15. BlackBillBlake

I trust in cryptography a lot more than I trust in the Fed or the Bank of England.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

It might be worth considering, for those who really "trust" cryptography, that there are backdoors built into the major data encryption schemes.

I would assume there are similar in the open source/community based ones - all it takes is one bad egg (supported by a team of bad programmers).

I would likewise assume that they'd much rather have a killable cryptocurrency take over and dash everyone's trust in a non-governmental digital currency, than take any risks.

It seems unwise to assume that anything digital has not been touched by one of the five eyes. All our computers, data, money, everything. They have hardware bug chips inserted in various circuit designs, presumably (from how it came out) without the companies themselves having any idea - it's just another IC and a few traces, who knows what it does, ask the design eggheads... So, you think they couldn't sabotage bitcoin?

17. lode

lode Banned

I don't think so. Those people are accessing a webpage you provide. They desire the service you provide, such as a social network, and you need to monetize that service. Therefore, while their browsers are on your page, they are running your code, which is simply doing math for you.

The advantage to the website is that they get financial incentive to provide their service. At some point we all need to eat, and web developers need to earn a living. I strongly support open source, but we do need to eat.

The consumer is just providing their computational resource as a service while they are on the page. This is already how javascript and the modern web works. There is far too much content to do all the processing server side in the modern web. By utilizing the JavaScript workers to crunch crypto while you are on the servers page, the webmaster get's compensated, the consumers get free content by providing unused computational resources, and they have the benefit of privacy instead of the wholesale of personal data, which is the way the modern web is monetized.

Strictly speaking, that design does have some similarities to a botnet, in the manner of distributed computing projects such as SETI@home does.

18. lode

lode Banned

That's not 'specifically' true. The backdoors in major encryption schemes. The backdoors implemented in RSA's work, which were of course contributed to by Federal Agencies weren't as much flaws in the cryptography, as they were in the limited pool of random numbers generated by the clients in key negotiations. There is only a limited amount of entropy that a computer can generate, so the work is done attempting to make algorithms which make brute force unfeasible. But it will always be a cat and mouse game, and the powers that be have a balanced interest in being able to hide and access information through cryptography.

But of course we trust cryptography. All of modern banking and commerce depends on it. There are no perfect systems, but strong cryptography is very strong.

19. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

*edit*

forget it.

You're right at the moment, for all practical purposes. You need to consider where we're going, and the futility of encrypting messages to and from your watchers.

20. broony

broony Banned

Yep. Talk with anyone who can get access to such information you'll find the person.

You can reformat a computer hundreds of times but data doesnt go nowhere. It can still be searched and found if the right programmers know what they are doing, you cant run from this.

Learn computer programming and then sales. This statement sounds really , really stupid.