Your Favorite Scale And Progression

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Deranged, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

Whats your favorite scale and chord progression?

I like the ionian and mixolydian.

As far as chord progressions i like dominant and grungy sounding ones.

B minor is my favorite chord. For some reason it doesnt sound minor to me

My favorite key: g

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Demented Ninths...

3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I rarely use it for my music but I always enjoy playing a harmonic minor scale.

Em is probably my favorite key to play in, maybe because It's the first I learned.

My favorite chord is probably the "Hendrix chord" E7 #9

4. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

Harmonic minor is pretty neat

5. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I don't really have a specific favorite scale or chord. I guess it just depends on the music but I'd say I like more jazzy stuff the most.

6. Just_a_woman

Just_a_woman Member

Harmonic minor, here, too.

7. jamesblond_007

jamesblond_007 Guest

My money is with the Lydian scale.

Fav chord progression, pretty much any Radiohead song. Jigsaw Falling into Place is a good ex.

1 person likes this.
  8. RestlessRalph

RestlessRalph Members

I like the whole tone scale a lot for it's kind of mystic ambiguity (too lazy to google that one, so maybe i wrote it in a wrong way, bear with me) and it always reminds me of good old mussorgsky. I also like the stacked triads to the two wt-scales, but my favourite is maybe the lament bass or the descending flamenco bass (with the right chords above the bassline of course). The Giant Steps Changes are also very very tasty, but i couldn't care to wrap my head around these composition-wise or intrumentally. Being a drummer i tend to focus on different things as of yet :)

9. aesthetic

aesthetic Z

I absolutely love anything by Tchaikovsky. @ about 2:43 is one of my favorite parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDqCIcsUtPI

I couldn't find the Cello solo I was listening to a few months back, it was by someone quite famous. Yet I can even think of his name; oh well.

10. enhancer13

enhancer13 Senior Member

Ionian, Mixolydian and Lydian or just modes of the Major scale! Same notes just starting in a different position on a different note. My favorite scale to use is which ever one makes the most sense for the progression I am playing over at the time. Don't have a favorite key, because I can play over all of them equally.

11. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Members

Well we recorded this old song by Robby Robertson called "The Night they Drove Ol Dixie Down" last month and someone suggested using an Am/mixolydian to work out some new guitar and base parts. It's simple, basicly just adding the C# and F# from to the Am pentatonic which is already the oposing scale to Cmajor, and the rest of the song just falls into line with that so today I'm still playing with that. And something called a Spanish Minor scale which is the C or third scale position played at the 4th to the 7th fret and worked out from that forward or backward.
    And Fm arpeggio played in the C form, so like a dm played at the 5th fret.
    for today

12. briezie13

briezie13 Members

I like them all.

13. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

i like major and minor blues scales because they sound really natural and satisfying
    i like chord progressions with switched out 9ths for 7ths because they sound softer
    i like doing a lot of stuff in flats and minors because it's more 'gray' and sound more 'real' to me

1 person likes this.
  14. notrick

notrick Members

agree depending on the song

15. deleted

deleted Visitor

mixolydian/..

16. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

it depends on the type and intent of the music ;)

i do wish i understood musical theory more than i do ... i do know what major and minor scales are though, as well as major and minor chords.

17. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

There are 7 modes in Modern Western Music, which if you are familiar with the Major and minor scales of a particular key, you likely can pretty much understand how you play all the modes.

If we have a C Major scale, on the piano, that would consist of all the white keys, so no # (sharp) or b (flat) notes involved. The notes would be C, d, e, F, G, a, b leading to the next octave of C where the notes start over again at a higher pitch.

Standard Modes simply correspond to each one of those notes of the scale as being the starting position.

So the modes are:

Ionain (Major), dorian, phyrigian, Lydian, Mixolydian, aeolian (minor), locrian

I just kind of remembered them but you might come up with an acronym or mneumonic device to commit them to memory.

So if you know the major and minor scales already, you will notice that C Major and the a minor scale have exactly the same notes being played, both being all the white keys, just starting at different positions. The notes continue to correspond with modes so a d dorian mode will have all the white keys played as well, a G Mixolydian the same.

If I introduce # and b , say we do G Ionian (Major): G, a, b ,C, D, e f# .. to now where we are playing black keys..

the same concept holds, so e minor scale(or aeolian mode) will have the same exact notes as G Major scale.

You can really open up your playing and/or understanding of most music this way, hopefully It helps you understand a bit more.

1 person likes this.
  18. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

One of the things I really enjoyed doing when I started getting pretty good at soloing at the guitar and continue to do, is play the chords for a Major Key, so say in C Major play a basic chord progression like C, F, G which are all Major in this key, then I'll play a riff/melody or solo in the a minor scale (a aeolian mode.)

This doesn't violate the key signature at all because you are still using the same notes, however it gives a quality dynamic with the usually Upbeat sound of the Major Chords, contrasted to the Bluesy sound of the minor soloing.

Pretty much endless combinations can be created this way, and quality expressive music. Rules can be made to broken with music though and you can violate key signatures and what not but if you attempt too much of that particularly just learning this stuff, it can be quite counterproductive.

19. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

I'm a big fan of the venerated I-vi-IV-V and I-vi-ii-V progressions. Lately I've been digging on shit like a Csus2/Eb. I've also been working on stuff like playing a C Major Pentatonic scale ove an F Major Chord.

C/S,
    Rev J

20. aikiguy

aikiguy Members

I used to think I was a Pentatonic guy when I played, but later discovered that I'm really a Dorian mode player, No fave progressions though, but I do know that Dorian doesn't seem to work for EVERY progression out there.

1 person likes this.