What Is The Most Recent Song You Learned To Play? What's Next?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Wizardofodd, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I have a little bit of a tough time with that song. I don't play it anymore. It's not that I can't play it but when my dad was terminally ill he asked me to consider playing it at his funeral. I thought about doing it but I'm glad I didn't.

2. Wizardofodd

Learned Rain by the Beatles this evening with the band. We worked through 3 different arrangements and got it nailed down. We play a festival tomorrow so we will play it there. Next Saturday we play our own fall festival so that will be our 2nd stab at it live before we put it into our Halloween Grateful Dead set. We can include songs that GD covered in that set sooo.....basically.....you could play a 4 hr show and never play an original GD song by that measure. But Rain is a pretty fun song. I look forward to it tomorrow.

3. Wizardofodd

If anyone wants to know....we played Rain tonight like we've been playing it for a long time. The keys player and I both put in our own time on it today by ourselves just to get a little more prepared for our set. We didn't even tell some of our most diehard fans that we would be playing it so it was a surprise and a lot of fun. I'm sure we'll keep that in the rotation for a while. We just have to nail down some finer solo stuff that isn't in the original version. But we're pretty much there on it.

4. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I'm currently forgetting to play "Heaven" by Talking Heads.

5. Wizardofodd

Me And My Uncle-Grateful Dead. Already learned it years ago but just kind of refreshing my memory.

6. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

Been struggling through Greg Allmans Lil Martha for a while.

7. Wizardofodd

Played Me And My Uncle with the band tonight for the first time. We're going to play it in our Halloween set. Went through it a few times to nail it down. Should be fun. I'm pretty excited about this show. It's kind of big and we are going to be the Grateful Dead for the evening (along with other bands and their musical "costumes"). I was kind of worried about this show for a bit but shit...we've played most of these songs for years. We had a really good practice tonight so Me And My Uncle should be a breeze.

8. ChinaCatSunflower67

ChinaCatSunflower67 Member

Friend of mine ran me through the "Mountain Dew" just the other week, always wanted to play and sing that one.. I think next will have to be ''Drunkard's Hell'' by the Stanley Brothers. And maybe Silver Apples ''Ruby'' in keeping with the banjo theme.

http://youtu.be/z38hk2k8idQ

3 people like this.
  9. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I'm pretty much leaving all the old songs I used to play behind and learn something new.I fancy "Why Worry Now" by Dire Straits.Can hardly raise a singing voice right now though I'm feeling pretty estranged.

2 people like this.
  10. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

Oops.It's just called "Why Worry"...See,I made a good start.

1 person likes this.
  11. Wizardofodd

Messed around with Santeria by Sublime for a bit tonight. Just for the fun of it. Got the gist of it but don't quite have that solo nailed down yet. You have to have a certain little touch on it to make it flow right.

Been working on a lot of GD stuff for my set tomorrow night.

2 people like this.
  12. enhancer13

enhancer13 Senior Member

Last ones I learnt were Alive and Jeramy from Pearl Jam for a gig my band did on the weekend! Next one who knows! I guess whatever cd is inspiring me at the moment I will throw on and learn most of the songs from. At this point learning songs by ear has became second nature and I am constantly jamming along with cd's whether it is something for the band or just something I want to learn, because I like it.

2 people like this.
  13. Wizardofodd

Played some 80's rock stuff with a guy tonight. We also played some blues stuff too. A lot of those rock songs probably weren't really my thing but I may stick it out with him for a while to help him get his band going.

2 people like this.
  14. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

Oh! Last night I learned how to play my own version of Darkness by King Khan and The Shrines! Pretty quickly too! I'm getting good at figuring out guitar chords by ear. Not sure what's next. I'm sure I'll think of something :D

Been looking into funk and grindhouse style music lately.

1 person likes this.
  15. Wizardofodd

I must admit that I played Born To Be Wild tonight with this dude I've been jamming with. That isn't a song I ever thought I'd take much of a stab at....along with a lot of other songs he wants to play. My wife asked me why I'm "wasting my time" going over there and playing stuff like that. She knows I've spent years avoiding much classic rock like the plague but I told her....there is something to be learned from forcing myself to do it. I seriously never want to play that shit on stage though...unless it's super tight.

Oh yeah....I also learned Wipeout for the first time ever tonight. What the hell is the fascination with that song? It reminds me of a roller skating rink in the 80's.

1 person likes this.
  16. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Wipeout was all about the drum solo. It was high energy and cool, but simple enough elementary school kids of the '60s played it on their desktops at school. Many a young drummer was inspired by Wipeout

My latest song is probably my least ever considered from the Hendrix catalog, " Are you experienced".
    I always felt it one of his more commercial pieces, one of those psychedelic-for-psychedelic-sake pop songs, along with 'Purple haze' and 'Manic depression' that seemed to fall in Mitch Mitchell's vision of promoting Jimi as a drug taking, guitar shaman, wild man.

The song has a very beautiful melody.
    It's actually kind of like a country/folk chord progression, except where it drops to the F chord at the chorus.

1 person likes this.
  17. deleted

deleted Visitor

I can relate. a band I was in would try and take on SLOW RIDE.. I hated every single beat of it, then they would try and woo the ladies in the club with the "slow riding women your so fine".... haah. opps electrical problems folks. Its 20min of slow ride/take it easy... I can not do it one more time..

I have some other Mark Knopfler songs Im working on. Darling Pretty, Rudiger, Postcards from Paraguay just havent gotten around to recording them. mostly cause I get lost playing other metal stuff and burn myself out. Bark at the moon, Rocket Queen , variety of Van Halen ..

I like surfing guitar.. its nice and primitive .

1 person likes this.
  18. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Ha! I remember back when Slowride was Foghats big hit, it was in heavy rotation on the radio. I was just starting to try and form a group and was trying out this one drummer who had apparently been doing nothing but playing along with Slowride in his bedroom,lol. He kept insisting we play it . He ended up leaving in a huff after the bass player and I made it clear we had no intention of playing that shlock.
    There were a lot of hit tunes from back then that are now considered classic rock that we wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Too 'mersh. We were to learn later that was just wrong thinking < $$$ :dizzy2:

1 person likes this.
  19. Wizardofodd

Those cover bands get paid...for sure. For me, it's not that I can't play those songs or see myself playing them. There isn't anything about them that are hard...for the most part. I just hate those shitty cover bands that slop together a set to make the drunk local ladies fall all over themselves over some shitty 5th rate cover band. I don't want to play in a band like that. If you're going to play those kinds of songs...they have to be really tight. My experience is that most people who want to play those songs are not the kind of musicians who you want to play those songs with.

20. deleted

deleted Visitor

hehe.. Ive gotten pretty good at playing: Every rose has its thorn. I dont mind it very much , I grew up in the 80s, just cant stand the douche Bret has become.

Long ago I was in this band that covered the Dead. But they tended to play the most simplest of songs without blending a jam between them. The excuse was nobody knows those other songs. And the other excuse was cant play them very well.. To be honest these guys cant play the songs they do know well. I thought that jamming was more important than 3min songs and silent restlessness for 15mins while they get some wings and beers ..

1 person likes this.