Cosplay (aka costume play)

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Pathfinder, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Member

My craft is cosplay costumes!

:H :cool: ;)

I'm really new at it, but i've done it on multiple occasions. Anime Boston was my first connvention. I had a duo maxwell costume that I threw together in ten minutes flat! okay, so I didn't really look like duo with the exception of a long braid of hair flowing down my back but it was still a blast and people took my picture. Its a cooler feeling though when you work on a costume and wear it. I love costume making, and designing. Its just so much fun. Its so real.

Do any of my fellow hippies connect to that? Any cosplayers out there?

Share your stories, or ask others questions. this is for both Anime cosplayers as well as players of other genres (science fiction, RPG.. ect)

2. a_sailors_dream

a_sailors_dream Guest

I love making those things :)

3. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

I do cos...kinda.

What I really do is get costumes half done and then I usually can't afford to go to the conventions.

I gotta start choosing some easier people to cos as. I get into making the costume and then realize I can't do it perfect and get frustrated. I also have to choose characters that will hide my hair because there aren't many with dreads that I can pull off.

Though, now that I know where I can use a 3D printer it's been opening up the kind of characters (and weaponry) I can draw upon.

This is the one I keep working on. My first mask turned out horrible.
    [​IMG]

4. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

i would hate the attention i see people get at conventions, but i love checking others out. its like the best of the best of a Halloween weekend when i go to a convention

5. Manservant Hecubus

This had to be one of my favourite cos'

[​IMG]

6. Manservant Hecubus

I really want to do this one. One of the few where I can leave my hair as-is but making or finding that metallic piece sashy part has been intimidating me.

[​IMG]

7. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

you seem to be to much of a perfectionist, cant you get cardboard and some metallic paint. or even some plastic...something like shrink a dink type plastic with metallic paint.

8. Manservant Hecubus

When the day comes, I'll probably design and order the fabric from a place like Spoonflower. If I'm gonna cos, it's gonna look authentic. I've tried to settle for less but then I just feel self conscious about putting something sub-par out there. Hell, I plan to get a mystic tan for this cos if/when i debut it just so I can get his skin-tone close.

9. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

i understand, i would be the same way if i ever did/if i ever do cos. but i have seen lots of people in clearly thrown together home made costumes that i have nothing but respect for. to me if you can instantly tell who the character is, then its a good costume.

10. Manservant Hecubus

Mystic Tans are on half price. I'm gonna test one out to see if it makes me more Egyptian. :D

Been thinking hard on this cos again. Probably gonna go with this version.
    [​IMG]

Might need some dread extensions to add volume to my own locks or at least for his front braidy things.

The metallic fabric sash would cost $27/yard. It's fairly big in the back.

Sigh...I guess I am being too much of a perfectionist.

I'd like to have something done for FanExpo.

11. nox_lumen

nox_lumen Member

k, i too am a bit of a perfectionist.

I grew up with ren reenactment, so I got lessons on textiles and tailoring methods early. My biggest pet peev because of this is is seeing cos-players in historically based costumes that clearly have no understanding of how quality silks and wools should look or historic construction. there are plenty of ways to use table cloths, curtains and bed sheets from thrift shops and rummage sales to make a garment that will fool a seasoned tailor into thinking you could afford high end natural fibers if you take the time to study fabric and tailoring. I should know, since I have a geisha style kimono made of sheer polyester over cotton that has been complimented by many on what nice silk I have. this means it bugs me when i see a cos-player in a pair of samurai hakama that were clearly made of low grade bed sheets because the fabric is way too light and floaty to mimic the dense silk or linen that people who work for a living would favor.

Seriously, spend some quality time in a good fabric store and study fiber movement, reflection quality, and thickness on the good stuff before looking for the cheep substitute, hit a museum and look closely at the garment, study a few painting, look up reenactment groups costuming tips, then do your test garment. It really will make a difference.

And check those linen labels. Some of the used linens are actually made of linen, cotton, and even silk. Some times a good sari or similar turns up mistaken for something else, and can be seriously under priced because nobody knew what it was. lighter test everything that didn't come with a label too, because I have has a few bolts of cloth turn out to be a surprise on iron temp.

For the metallic cloth, watch the clearance bins at fabric shops around fall/winter. sometimes people plan to make a costume or Christmas tree detail with that sort of cloth, then change there mind after it's cut from a bolt, and the store just wants to get rid of an awkward length. Also look at used or clearances Halloween costumes. Since it frays like mad, you'll wanting cloth glue with that, but you can cover the cheat with black zig-zag over the glue seams. It's a fussy way to get it done, but can save on $$$