Fruit Juice Is Not Healthy

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pressed_Rat, Aug 15, 2014.

1. meridianwest

meridianwest Senior Member

i'd like to see where you get these numbers, ''over half the population''. where's your source on that one?

what you're saying, it might be the case for some people. does it follow then that fruit juice is not healthy for anybody? no. nor does it follow to start making over the top claims that fruit juice is not healthy at all. you are extrapolating this thing to the extreme. not to mention your own psychological factor that plays into this.

you can claim that consuming excessive amounts of fruit juice is not healthy, and that is a fairly adequate claim to make. but labeling it ''not healthy'' overall and then using this to promote your own ketogenic diet is bullshit. ketogenic diet is not some miracle cure-all or even the healthiest diet in existence. yeah, it works for some and if you like it, that's your thing. but don't make it out to be more than it is. it has its problems and huge health risks, as with any other extreme.

exactly. varied diet has shown to be best across the board where human health is concerned. any kind of extreme is usually not the best option. sure, you can exist on sugar-free diet like Pressed Rat is advocating for, but that doesn't make it the most optimal way for the human body.

1 person likes this.
  2. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Yep.

3. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Correct, fruit juice is not healthy for anybody, much like candy bars and potato chips are not healthy for anybody. It's too much sugar. It doesn't mean your health will suffer if you drink it on occasion, but it might if you drink it often enough and/or have issues with your metabolism. Fructose is fructose, and fructose is inherently bad. It is the worst of all the sugars because of how it is metabolized. Fructose is what is most responsible for high triglycerides and obesity, as well as a host of other things people are most often prescribed drugs for (high blood pressure, for instance). It is a FACT that fruit juice, along with soda, are the biggest sources of fructose in the American diet, and are contributing to obesity and overall ill health. The fact that one is of a natural source and one is not makes no difference as it is processed in the liver the same way high-fructose corn syrup is.

Also, I would like to know how sugar and refined carbs constitute a "varied" diet, much less a healthy diet. Please define a varied diet, and where is the consensus coming from that it is shown to be "the best," as you claim?

There is ample evidence showing people's health vastly improves when they eliminate high-glycemic carbs, grains, pasteurized dairy, and inflammatory vegetable oils from their diet. So apparently "varied" does not always translate to healthy.

And to answer your question -- over half the US population is overweight or obese. Therefore over half the US population has some issue with their metabolism, since obesity is an issue of metabolism and not simply how many calories a person consumes.

4. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I think there are a few medicinal exceptions such as grapefruit juice if you have the flu, pineapple juice for a sore throat or cherry juice for gout but generally I avoid fruit juice in my diet.

5. NatureDude

NatureDude Member

I seem to find it difficult to not have sweet potato on a regular basis, its my understanding that even a large sweet potato in one day is far less carbs than on the SAD diet. I'm on the paleo diet too but I don't plan to restrict carbs completely and exercise should help burn fat too yeah?

6. egger

egger Member

The Thor Falk website gathered data about sugar and fructose content of fruits and graphed it. The x axis indicates grams of sugar per 100 g of food. The y axis is the total fructose equivalent. The fruits with the least sugar and fructose are in the lowere left of the graph and those with the most are in the upper right. Considering that fructose is sweet, it stands to reason that the fruits with the least fructose near the lower left are the ones that taste the least sweet (limes, lemons, tomatoes, grapefruit).

http://thorfalk.wordpress.com/2011/04/25/healthy-fruits-fructose-edition/

7. egger

egger Member

That's a blanket statement that isn't accurate. Not everyone who is overweight has metabolic syndrome or a metablic disorder. For some people the condition of overweight is due to lack or physical activity or overconsumption of food or both and doesn't entail a metabolic disorder.

Some people are normal weight but have a metabolic disorder. A metabolic disorder doesn't necessarily imply an overweight condition. It's important to consider normal-weight people who have a metabolic disorder and not attribute that percentage of the public with a metabolic disorder to those who are overweight.

For obese people, the number who have metabolic syndrome is about 60%.

For people who are overweight but not obese, the number is about 22%.

For normal weight people, about 4.6% have metabolic syndrome

http://www.integrativehealthreview.com/also-found-in/eating-nutrition-also-found-in/metabolic-syndrome/

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/12/2297.full.pdf+html

8. egger

egger Member

There are other types of metabolic issues such as thyroid disorders. About 4% of people in the U.S. older than 12 years has hypothyroidism.

Golden SH, Robinson KA, Saldanha I, Anton B, Ladenson PW. Prevalence and incidence of endocrine and metabolic disorders in the United States: a comprehensive review. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 2009;94(6):1853–1878.

9. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

Breakfast is "the most important meal" because it's the first thing to jumpstart your metabolism. As for fruit juice, it is healthy... Sugars aren't always bad. Is eating fruit bad? There are many juices that use only fruits and green tea. Why green tea? That stops the blood rush spike you were talking about. 100% natural. 100% good for you

1 person likes this.
  10. egger

egger Member

11. egger

egger Member

The term varied diet usually means eating foods from various groups (meats, vegetables, fruits, grains, dairy, nuts, seeds) with the intent of increasing the chance of acquiring all of the needed macronutrients, micronutrients, and fiber and reducing the chance of an unhealthy over-consumption of a substance that might be high in a particular type of food.

A varied diet lowers the chance of unwanted effects of anti-nutrients of a particular food, as there are usually sufficient nutrients in the other consumed food types that override the possible negative effects of the anti-nutrients. For example, the iron-binding effect of phytates in seeds can be offset by consuming beef or soaked beans which are high in iron. One gains both the iron and various nutrients of the seeds without compromising iron absorption by the body. An example of an unvaried diet would be a diet where most of the calories come from one type of food such as seeds, which could lead to iron deficiency due to the phytates in seeds. Such deficiencies are sometimes seen in undeveloped countries where people rely on a single food type for most of their calories.

12. Pressed_Rat

Except I never said they had to have metabolic syndrome or a metabolic disorder (per se). However, I would argue that a person with weight issues DOES have some issues with metabolic derangement to some degree. It might not be enough to be labeled a disorder (i.e. metabolic syndrome), but it's enough to cause issues with weight. Thyroid poses a problem with some people, and that, too, ties in with overall metabolism. The problem I have with calories in/calories out is that there are many people who consume far more calories than they expend, yet they never gain weight. So while calories play a role in weight gain, they seem to play far less of a role in people with normal or high metabolisms. Ultimately it's metabolism -- not calories -- that determine whether a person gains weight and how much.

13. Pressed_Rat

Yeah, eating fruit is bad if you're eating more than your metabolism can handle. Sugar is sugar, and is processed by the body the same way, regardless if it's sugar from fruit or high fructose corn syrup. My opinion is that fruit is nature's candy and not nearly as healthy as it's made out to be. It's mostly sugar, water, and some vitamins. Vegetables are a much better source of vital micronutrients and antioxidants. Of course I do believe fruit can be part of a healthy diet when consumed in moderation, but this notion that you can gorge yourself on it and suffer no consequences (just because it "grows naturally") just isn't true if you have metabolic issues or are trying to lose weight. Some people can eat lots of fruit and do just fine. It varies from person to person.

However, fruit juice is little more than concentrated sugar. I honestly see no difference between fruit juice and soda, since they contain about an equal amount of sugar. All the good stuff normally found in whole fruit (fiber, etc.) is absent in juice, and any vitamins you're getting are basically canceled out by the excessive amount of sugar. Fruit juice plays a huge role in childhood obesity because it is, as Egger refers to it, "liquid calories," and these calories are mostly being stored as opposed to immediately being used for energy by the body.

As far as breakfast being the most important meal of the day, I would agree in the context of breakfast being the first meal of the day, whether it's at 9 in the morning or 6 in the evening. However, most people who eat breakfast in the morning pick the worst foods (bagels, toast, cereal, juice, etc.) which do not kick start the metabolism but stall it so that a person is in fat storage mode all day long. One of the worst times for eating heavily refined carbohydrates is for breakfast, as that is when the body is most resistant to insulin. So when the establishment says breakfast is the most important meal of the day, I say they're full of shit since they're also telling us that things like cereal and juice constitute "healthy" breakfast foods. It amounts to nothing more than marketing.

14. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

I've yet to see you attach evidence to any of your wild theories, which just makes it hard to believe. Or is that another part of the conspiracy, that every source of information outside of you is incorrect?

You graze the topic like sugar is sugar, end of story. There's a difference between juices that are not from concentrate with added sugars than natural juices. You look at a can of soda looking at only carbohydrates/sugar comparing it with a fruit juice and end your story there. When the difference between a fruit juice and soda is over a 150 calories and a whole lot of nutrition. Sugar is comprised of two things, Glucose and Fructose.

^Huffington Post's interview with the nutritionist Joy Dubost.

This here is literally the perfect article for you to read.. but I guess I'll quote parts of it since I'm sure most people won't click it
    http://www.discovergoodnutrition.com/2011/02/the-truth-about-sugars-in-fruit/

Instead of attacking people with healthy diets, which you seem to be very fond of, take a look at the evidence. As a previous employee to Whole Foods, I have fully observed the health benefits of many diets ranging from fruitarians, vegans, gluten-free, vegetarians, and many more. When it comes down to it, the people eating natural foods are living healthy lives. Even the fruitarians. Just like not all fats are bad (Avocados vs Chips), just like not all cholesterol is bad, the source of sugars is directly correlated to its health and nutrition. And somebody who eats fruit regularly is in no health risk what so ever.

1 person likes this.
  15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Oh god I know, right? I've said it before if a diet works for you then great but don't preach it like it'll have a positive effect to every single person on earth because all our bodies are different and each diet works differently on the individual.

2 people like this.
  16. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

sounds like something one could say about nitrates as well :)

17. NatureDude

NatureDude Member

Ever since I've started the paleo diet about a year ago I've lost about 10 Kg even though I'll eat sweet potatoes regularly and fruits on and off. I'm careful not to lose muscle mass by eating protein. I've been going to the gym on and off. I'll also restrict carbs and consume them on and off.

18. Dejavu~

Dejavu~ Members

Fruit is delicious. :rastana:

19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Errrr, yeah, I'd have to agree with him on the sugar thing.

After Cell division itself, the Hayflick limit and radiation, sugar is the big one when it comes to cancer in humans

20. Dejavu~

Dejavu~ Members

If applicable, try not to eat the pit.

[​IMG]