Open Mic Nights

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Sleeping Caterpillar, Aug 14, 2014.

1. jrocks

jrocks Members

In my area we have jam nights at certain clubs. There is usually a house band that plays a set then they invites people up who have signed up and they usually get two or three songs to jam. Unfortunately most seem to want to do blues or skynatd stuff which to me is boring. Also there is always one or two guys that go every week that think they are the best players (usually guitarists) and they somehow end up playing more than the others. Its really high schoolish at times. I used to go but I don't like playing through other peoplea amps as they usually don't use the same amp I do plus some house band guys don't want you to change their amp settings. You can find other people to start a band with though.

2. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Yeah most of the 'jam nights' are just a way for a band to get a house gig one night a week. They let a few come up and play, but like you said the band tends to monopolize the scene. If you're not into just jamming around on some blues, actual open mic events where there are time slots is best.

I would change the guys amp settings without asking, fuck that. If you want to make any impact on the audience or other players at a 'jam night' you have to be confident and take charge of those things you can control, and have the chops to play at, or above the level of the house band. Then, play to the audience. No ones going to remember the guy that just sort of jams along in the background. You've got to add your particular brand of spice to the event at least.

2 people like this.
  3. aikiguy

aikiguy Members

It's always been my experience that if you really want to network with musicians, the best way to do so is to go out and try out for spots in a band. A working band is preferable, and get out and do some gigs, do shows with other bands, and network that way.

There's value in doing open mic type events because it gives you the experience of being on a stage, singing/playing in front of people, using stage monitors, and that kind of thing, but I've always found that 'most' people that like to do open mic events are aspiring 'karaoke' singers, or inexperienced band players, or I suppose in some cases, show-offs. I'm not putting them down, it takes guts to get up in front of any crowd, but if you really want to network with musicians, you would do yourself a favour to take a chance on trying out for a band, or even a couple of bands. The more you play, the better you'll get. The better you get, the more in demand you'll be. When you're more in demand, networking is much easier. Doesn't happen overnight, but take a baby step towards it each day, and before you know it, you'll know a ton of capable players, and they'll know you.

Peace,

IK

4. noela

noela Members

[SIZE=9pt]Open mics are worlds of fun and a great way to introduce yourself as a musician.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Not only do you make connections with other musicians and introduce yourself to new fans willing to hire you for various gigs, but you are able to come out of your shell in such a chill setting you can find nowhere else. Do what you want, explore who you are, this is your time to experiment. Laugh, fuck up, be you and there is no consequences. What could be better? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Open mics was my foundation in becoming a professional musician. That's great that you learned how to stick around after your performance, most musicians don't realize this until way after. I was pretty shy at first, but hearing what others had to say and sticking around to support other musicians gives you so much inspiration and can even build everlasting friendships . Just think of Bob Dylan meeting Joan Baez at the Cafe Wha, and all the other folkies in the 1960s. Open mics became an everlasting movement man! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Even though I gig every weekend, open mics are still my favourite thing to do. I get to have a drink with my friends, play a few songs and listen to what others are experimenting with. Jamming out with others is pretty great too. There really is nothing better. Even when you've established yourself as a musician, it's a great idea to promote yourself with business cards, but the mere fact that you're still open mic-ing proves that you're humble as hell. :)[/SIZE]