Heidegger's concept of Alienation.

Discussion in 'Existentialism' started by Anaximenes, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

No longer is self-consciousness alienatingly disposed upon the Dasein member of the common living group. ALienation is direct from the Self upon the self, the nature of this substance for the ego is in that I no longer know 'Who cares?".

If I starve it is in that that caring is shared. If I am told that my work is inadequate and that I must be pushed along then I find that that is no longer cared for in the colour of my face. Main thing is that the Z-justice of America is all about work not being determined as failure in the colour of one's face.

But in technical rational detail does alienation get overcome in Heidegger?:sunny:

2. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Do you mean alienation from being from the being?
    Could be that the being is misidentified. Alienation is an association of mind of being unfamiliar with substantial self. This is an ego construct called special circumstance. The special circumstance being the apparent uniqueness of individual based on the appearance of the body.
    For one we do not always go back. We take some of what is old and some of what is new. To use geometrical analogy recurrence is not circular repeating of events but sinusoid.
    Redundant or rising and falling like a wave.
    Nothing to overcome but a sense to come to.
    We re-harmonize through familiarity.

3. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

No---in my opinion, Heidegger would have never seen his work as achieving such a thing, simply because I don't think he felt his work was finished. In a post-Nietzschean world, where god was dead, it was more critical than ever to discover the meaning of being----he felt he was doing this, and preparing a path where others could continue his work and reach that point where we could rediscover that God, or the gods, is/are indeed alive, and being has meaning----or if that we confirm that God is indeed dead, that it really does not matter because being does have value and meaning, and life is appreciated for its intrinsic value.

However, if we take it as complete, then what did Heidegger offer us?---Dasein, as an impersonal collective being betrays the focus on the subjective (or the individual) that is so important to existentialism and to his teacher, Husserl. (And afterall, alienation is truly a subjective state.) But then he returns us to the significance of the individual by preaching that we need to appreciate life due to its temporal nature. But if God is dead, isn't such an appreciation nothing more than an aeshetic of sad betrayal---a betrayal presented to us by life. Even the Japanese, who had a deeply artistic appreciation of temporality, avoided such betrayal by a belief in life after death. If life betrays us in such a way, than alienation would be an escape to be embraced--which is exactly the problem of alienation in the existential sense. We are afraid to face the true meaning of our lives, because we may find that our lives are meaningless.

If you counter that dasein represents a deeper metaphysical meaning that life has meaning in the same sense that Thedope is referring to, than again we have to conclude that Heidegger did not provide an answer---he simply opened the door to where the answer could hopefully be found.

4. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

Sounds good; or fulfilling his meaning of Being was more this impossibility for the Good Conscience (for any consequence to dying; we dread it; yeah, sure.) in realizing the Being per Nothing. Alienation was all about the universe beautifully demanding that you Regret, and dispose all reasons to regret for Being being more than nothing. How come I can't find the universe beautiful for the lack of the existence of a benevolent almighty? :dizzy2:

5. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

I am convinced that Heidegger was a closet essentialist----and secretly believed in, if anything, the old Germanic Gods, or perhaps the God of Hegel. Nietzsche's declaration (and attack) after all was on the Christian God more than anything else.

I agree with you-----I think that to continue down the path Heidegger started would lead us back to an essentialist conclusion and that there is an absolute being to the universe. I think this is the only way to resolve the Post-Modern Crisis as well----but we cannot go back to religion as a unifying truth to Western Culture----instead we need to rediscover this absolute being under the context of, and through, our post-enlightenment Modern eyes.

6. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

Hey, what conversation this could make. Atheism was a depressing thought to Heidegger.

7. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

For what makes being essentialist is the alternation of trolling off the telephone to trolling off of the computer again.

8. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Lucy strikes again! some people never learn.