Carbs are Killing You (infographic)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pressed_Rat, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerri

Kerri Members

But even then starchy carbs aren’t in the tiniest bit negatively effecting anyone. Over consuming starchy carbs in conjunction with an otherwise crappy diet, poor mental health, ie stress, and a sedentary lifestyle is. A handful of potato chips in moderation will have absolutely zero adverse affects

2. egger

egger Member

The DIETFITS study.

This is the second study funded in part by the NuSI group of Gary Taubes that in general doesn't supported the hypothesis that Taubes has been purporting since the early 2000's that carbohydrates caused the obesity epidemic by elevating serum insulin.

The first study by Kevin Hall funded by NuSI and published in 2016 also didn't support the Taubes hypothesis.

Effect of Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet on 12-Month Weight Loss in Overweight Adults and the Association With Genotype Pattern or Insulin Secretion
    The DIETFITS Randomized Clinical Trial
    Christopher D. Gardner, PhD1; John F. Trepanowski, PhD1; Liana C. Del Gobbo, PhD1; et al Michelle E. Hauser, MD1; Joseph Rigdon, PhD2; John P. A. Ioannidis, MD, DSc1,3,4,5; Manisha Desai, PhD2,3,4,5; Abby C. King, PhD1,3
    JAMA. 2018;319(7):667-679. doi:10.1001/jama.2018.0245

Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet on Weight Loss in Overweight Adults

excerpt:

"Conclusions and Relevance

In this 12-month weight loss diet study, there was no significant difference in weight change between a healthy low-fat diet vs a healthy low-carbohydrate diet, and neither genotype pattern nor baseline insulin secretion was associated with the dietary effects on weight loss. In the context of these 2 common weight loss diet approaches, neither of the 2 hypothesized predisposing factors was helpful in identifying which diet was better for whom."

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Carbs make me gain weight and feel like shit.

Plus, humans didn't eat simple (and most complex) carbohydrates for 95% of human history.

YOU eat what YOU want, but I can't argue with that.

Someone pass the butter...

Pete's Draggin' and Irminsul like this.
  4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Carbs weigh on me too. :D especially pizza dough which really sucks because I love pizza. I have restricted pizza to one day a week now, a much fresher nicer pizza place and it seems okay. It's like some people can eat a full pizza and not gain anything and then there's me, I have 3 slices, I gain 2lbs on the spot if I think about going for that extra slice.

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Carbs and fats are both awesome. Unless one has some kind of allergy or intolerance for one. Or is at odds with how much they weigh. But neither is bad by default. Also saturated fats are not as bad as earlier perceived. Sugar neither. It just depends on a persons body and lifestyle if it gets bad or not. Moderation is almost always key.

6. egger

egger Member

Stephen Guyenet posted a summary of the DIETFITS clinical study done by Gardner that was funded in part by the NuSI group of Gary Taubes.

The second NuSI-funded diet trial has arrived
    by Stephan Guyenet
    February 20, 2018

The second NuSI-funded diet trial has arrived

From the article:

Participants achieved large differences in fat and carbohydrate intake for the duration of the 12-month trial, although the difference narrowed somewhat over time (as it does in every diet trial).

The first primary (most important) outcome was about insulin. Genes influencing meal-related insulin secretion were unrelated to a person’s response to the low-fat or low-carbohydrate diets. [Correction 2/21/18: These genes aren’t directly related to insulin; they’re more closely related to fat metabolism and previous preliminary evidence suggested they might impact the response to low-fat/carbohydrate diets]

The second primary outcome was also about insulin. A person’s baseline insulin response to carbohydrate was unrelated to his/her weight loss response to the low-fat or low-carbohydrate diets.

Both diets caused similar weight and fat loss at 12 months (-5.3 kg [-12 lb] for LF vs. -6.0 kg [-13 lb] for LC). These are better 12-month results than most diet trials.

7. egger

egger Member

The histograms of weight change for the test subjects shown in Supplement 2 of the Gardner DIETFITS paper are particularly striking. The weight change histograms for the low-fat and low-carbohydrate diets are very similar.

If a particular macronutrient composition (low-fat or low-carbohydrate) had an advantage for weight loss, the two histograms wouldn't be expected to look so similar.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. egger

egger Member

Effect of Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet on 12-Month Weight Loss in Overweight Adults and the Association With Genotype Pattern or Insulin Secretion: The DIETFITS Randomized Clinical Trial.
    Christopher Garner et al.
    JAMA February 20, 2018 Volume 319, Number 7

Effect of Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet on 12-Month Weight Loss in Overweight Adults and the Association With Genotype Pattern or Insulin Secretion: The DIETFITS Randomized Clinical Trial

Free pdf of complete paper

Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet on Weight Loss in Overweight Adults

pdf of tables and graphs:

https://edhub.amaassn.org/ama/content_public/journal/jama/936761/joi180008supp2_prod.pdf

pdf of Supplement 1:

https://cdn.jamanetwork.com/ama/content_public/journal/jama/936761/joi180008supp1_prod.pdf

pdf of Supplement 2:

https://cdn.jamanetwork.com/ama/content_public/journal/jama/936761/joi180008supp2_prod.pdf

9. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I love carbs and without them I don't feel good.

10. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I love carbs, too. I have never noticed any associated weight gain or other ill effects from consuming carbs: just some energy to do the things I want to do.

11. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i'm not actually sure which things have carbs in them. i know i've been told before, but it's one of those things that just isn't important enough to me for my brain to retain the information.

12. Asmodean

Pasta, bread, potatoes. Sauces. Meat has no carbs. Nuts have no carbs and some are rich in the best kind of fat. Peanuts however do have carbs.
    Fibers are just as important to know of. Everything goes better if you eat enough if them. They're in a lot of vegetables, nuts, beans and whole wheat bread. Brown rice has them as well

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I love rice, but I can't do brown rice hey. I make brown rice... By adding sauces and mince to white rice and call it brown rice, it's what my dad made sometimes. :p childhood fav. He used to hide olives in there for me.

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Your nuts are rich in the best kind if fat?

Sorry, couldnt resist that one

15. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

I enjoy my carbs too. If it kills me faster, then all the more reason to continue eating them.

16. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

If I eat a load of beans and vegetables and don't eat bread, I can be "full", but there's this weird hungry feeling
    and I tend to feel a bit irritable. bread solves that.

the fact that some people react badly to carbs gets talked about but i never hear anything about people who react badly without them.

17. Asmodean

Beans and baked potatoes ftw

We call it cowboy food :-D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.