photograpying the stars

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Jennifer19, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

my sister gets good ones but I have not a clue I have the book too the camera but don't really understand it like what setting? I have a night time setting but flash goes off. I know the shutter speed has to be set for longer I have a Nikon d-5000 just so you know what camera I have my sister keeps saying she will help me but keeps forgetting lol

2. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

There are some good tutorials on youtube. :)

3. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

ok thanks :) will check that out. wonder if I can find my camera on youtube?

4. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

use a tripod, experiment with different exposure times until it looks how you want it

5. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

tripod, low f-stop, slow shutter speed. if your flash is going off, you probably have the camera on automatic mode. try turning it to manual and playing around with the settings.

6. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

ok manual not sure what shutter speed though. low f-stop?

7. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

it always says subject too dark and won't take it

8. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

f-stop = aperature. try getting it to 3.5 or 5.6 or something in the lower range. this lets more light into the camera. a longer shutter speed (1/15 or smaller, maybe) will keep the shutter open for longer, allowing more light in to the camera. You may even have to set the shutter speed to a full second or more.

when you're using a shutter speed slower than 1/60 or so (it depends on the focal length of the lens, but 1/60 is a good rule of thumb), then you're going to want to use a tripod. This is because you won't be able to hold the camera still enough, and the photo will come out blurry.

9. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

there is a youtube video called this

Nikon D5000 Night Photos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HATUT4WuXUk"]Nikon D5000 Night Photos - YouTube

10. Koryssa_RUS

Koryssa_RUS Member

I recommend you to buy this gadget, named remote release. Do you have it?

With this you can have very interesting photographs of stars, such as star trails. It is necessary for very long shutter speeds. ))

[​IMG]

Do not feel tempted to increase ISO. You will have more light, but worse noise in your photographs.

11. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

I know about the using the tripod so it won't be blurry I don't really get all those number you posted I guess I will have to play around with it

12. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

remote release? I have a remote button so I don't have to click the camera and add more shaking too it

13. troubled

troubled Member

dunno if your still interested but you need to put the camera into manual mode or M first then you can set everything yourself.
    set timer to take pic 2 seconds after pressing so you can let go without knocking it
    shutter speed 1 to 4 seconds
    aperture or f stop set to a low number
    iso set to 800 or auto
    a short lens or zoomed out lens will give you more time to use before trails start which begin as dashes and end in the type of photo as above.
    a long lens or lens zoomed in will start to show stars as dashes when over two seconds exposure

using the above ive managed to capture details on Jupiter and two moons orbiting mars, no big deal but enough to keep you interested if its your thing.

cameras need to be on a moving equatorial tripod for really long shots.
    you could shoot video then use a program called irfanview to reduce the video to single images which you can then stack using skystacke,r this brings out details that would be too feint to see in a single frame, it is time consuming to process sometimes. Most space images you see are stacks of hundreds of pis together, rarely a single image.

14. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

Set your camera to (M)anual Mode
    Turn off autofocus
    Use a wider angle lens( 16mm, or 24mm)
    Set the f-stop to the smallest number(biggest opening)
    Set the shutter speed to 30sec.
    Use a tripod