Camping Machismo

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by Manservant Hecubus, May 31, 2014.

1. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

What is it about camping that turns people into machismo competitive dicks?

Anytime I see camping brought up, there is a always a good chunk of people to come along and say 'that's not REAL camping'. And then the 'real' campers start to try and out do each other.

I don't know why we can't all just be happy that people are getting outside at all, instead of making fun of them or acting superiors to them because they don't camp the way you camp.

I've seen this attitude within my own circle of friends. Makes me wonder sometimes if they do hard core camping, not because it's challenging and fun, but to have the biggest dick in the contest.

2. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Some people do that, yes. I think it's dumb. For one person camping is going out with a jacket, pocket knife, and a backpack for a week. For another it's a $150K motor home at Wal Mart.

People are people no matter where you go. And you will always have this attitude. It's just "there", MH.

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I don't think it's camping that causes it. It's competitive dicks camping.

One of the reasons I don't discuss much about the camping I do is because it's all over the "tough it out" scale.
    I've car camped, tent in groomed campsites, tent primitive, snow and the good old I want to sleep outside tonight so I strung up a hammock in the back yard. Well, considering where I live, that might be the macho choice. I did freak out on the third incidence of gunfire, though.

I just think they give me great silly stories to tell on my self.
    Like, hey let's go snow camping. With the 40F sleeping bag. D'oh.brrrr.

4. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

here's how you go camping! :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

^ no way man. that's not real camping