Nanites and Resistant Germs.

Discussion in 'The Future' started by Jimbee68, May 12, 2014.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

True story. My beloved cat, George, died when I was twelve. My parents (who were also animal lovers) came home from the vet and told me. He died of feline leukemia, they said.

This got me to thinking. Could there be a cure some day for leukemia? And could I think of one? I came up with this idea of injecting microscopic cyllinders of carbon monoxide into the person or animal (don't ask me why I settled on CO for some reason). The white blood cells would mistake them for intruders, and attack them, thus killing themselves at the same time.

Anyways, I starting thinking even more on the topic. And I wondered why we couldn't just engineer little space ships to go into the body and kill whatever intruders there were. Unbeknownst to me, I had just reinvented nanites.

Now, back to the modern era we live in now. Could nanites be used some day to fight infection? Maybe not now, but in the future, as technology evolves?

I'm very serious about this idea. In fact, I'd love to share it with some scientist too (any scientists on these boards?). But in the meantime, what do the rest of you think about my idea? Thank you for your time and indulgence in any event.

:love:☮:love:

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the body is whole and diverse eco-system inside. what is "bad" often isn't some one thing, but an imbalance among many thngs, with SOMETIMES perhaps some one thing as its proximate cause. and those proximate causes don't go around wearing little black hats so your little spaceships can easily identify them.

yes, everything we have a name for today, if it actually, each of them, is any one thing, then yes we will sooner or later have cures for. but even that is not that simple, because everything keeps mutating. it does this because even things that are harmful to us, have their own mandates for survival as well.

nanites smart enough to discriminate what IS an infection, when it takes more then you seem to indicate, for even US to do so?

anything we can imagine might be possible. there is no 'new' idea in this.
    and yes there is work going on, to develop more things, then popular media or public awareness, even dreams of.

always. for good and for bad and for everything in between.