Antibiotic-resistant diseases on the rise

Discussion in 'The Media' started by fraggle_rock, Apr 30, 2014.

1. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

In case you don't have enough doom in your day:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...g-drugs-devastating-says-landmark-report.html

Combine this with the fact that climate change is going to help diseases spread faster than ever and the increase in international travel... minor cuts and grazes are about to become fatal.

The boomers had it so so easy, have lived high and large, and now their descendants are going to pay the price for all of it.

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I take it global warming stories dont get as many clicks as they used to

3. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

Antibiotic overuse

4. katkin

katkin Member

Yes, but also no one is making new antibiotics, this problem with antibiotic resistance has been known about since the 1950's, yet nothing has been done about it. When you think a course of antibiotics only last 6 weeks, and medications such as antidepressants are prescribed over a much longer period, years, it's all about the money.

5. odonII

odonII O

Daily Mail articles: Take with a pinch of salt.

6. katkin

katkin Member

This is true, and there is a lot of scaremongering going on, but that aside, antibiotics don't work like they used to and there doesn't seem to be any sign of new antibiotics on the way. Although I am sure I read somewhere that the government was pushing for it, but it takes years to get a new drug approved. On saying that, if you're pretty healthy I think you can fight these lesser illnesses without the need for antibiotics.

7. OddApple

OddApple Member

<< minor cuts and grazes are about to become fatal.

The boomers had it so so easy, have lived high and large, and now their descendants are going to
    pay the price for all of it.>>

The "boomers" were as dumb as their descendants are and followed their much luckier programming just like barney's hapless politically correct prisoner descendants are. It is just that workers were needed to build pyramids then and now the deal is there is all this costly industrial meat by-product no one has any use for. They were the beneficiaries of an American golden period which had nothing to do with them beyond purchasing their physical and intellectual services.

8. odonII

odonII O

I am sure there is a chart produced where the more a particular antibiotic is given the result fluctuates. I do not think there is an overall antibiotic crisis occurring, though.

"Effective antibiotics have been one of the pillars allowing us to live longer, live healthier, and benefit from modern medicine. Unless we take significant actions to improve efforts to prevent infections and also change how we produce, prescribe and use antibiotics, the world will lose more and more of these global public health goods, and the implications will be devastating."

9. OddApple

OddApple Member

<< Yes, but also no one is making new antibiotics, this problem with antibiotic resistance has been
    known about since the 1950's, yet nothing has been done about it. >>

There is nothing to be done about it. Life progresses and the antibiotic bubble was perceived from the beginning in essence.

<<When you think a course of
    antibiotics only last 6 weeks, and medications such as antidepressants are prescribed over a much
    longer period, years, it's all about the money.>>

I suppose that is easier for most people than the simple facts of life and that those who have by it wielded such gross profit have also the very burden of responcibility with what they handle. If they go too far with their profiteering crap and threaten the whole biosphere someone would have to blast them to smithereens completely for the sake of all, especially human life.

Disease vectors have changed. With the armadillo comes the same weather for leprosy, or the mosquito malaria. Even slight degree changes, not even enough for the unattached to life to notice, change the plant and microprofile a lot. That's why the dummies say "the sky is NOT falling" right before they choke to death or bleed out because conditions didn't need to be diff enough to penetrate their thickness to penetrate their defences.

10. odonII

odonII O

I think it is saying the antibiotic well is not being filled because antibiotics are not being used efficiently. Yes, in certain sections antibiotics are not working even when applied correctly. That is an issue. It is specific. Not general.
    Antidepressants are not antibiotics.

11. OddApple

OddApple Member

It is to the point in some cases where they just keep adding harsher antibiotics until the patient finally dies. Commercial antibiotics are not "free food" they are not "candy" they put a burden on the body and their use actually renders one vulnerable to re-infection for some time after use. The stronger the antibiotic, the more the damage. There are antibiotics that might work, but the patient would have less chance surviving the course undamaged or alive. That was part of the problem with the fungal encephalitis industrial outbreak - the discrepancy between treating them and treating them to death or permanent damage. They were never "miracles" just band-aids.

12. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

So wait... are we going to get antibiotic resistant disease denialists too now?

13. OddApple

OddApple Member

Hmmm...not for long anyway

14. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

The report was released by the WHO. The story was international... I posted it here after hearing it on the evening news.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs194/en/

I really don't think it's scaremongering.

15. odonII

odonII O

I did not say the report was scaremongering. The article was perhaps a little too broad. I believe the WHO report was a little more specific. The DM piece was a little scaremongering and narrow, imho.

16. katkin

katkin Member

I didn't say they were, I said more emphasis is put on making new drugs like antidepressants rather than antibiotics because it's worth more.

And am pretty sure it is general, there's antibiotics in the food we eat!

17. OddApple

OddApple Member

There have been claims that regulation is supposed to be heavily discoraging over farm use, but I'm not sure a whole lot has changed besides increasing the value of free range, a-free eggs and kosher meat.

18. odonII

odonII O

I was not questioning your post where you mentioned 'scaremongering'. Post 6.

We may forget how long it takes to produce novel antibiotics.
    I do not think the emphasis is put on one in front of another (per se) due to how much money can be made.
    Obviously there are drugs that are quicker to bring to market than others.
    The spend on novel drugs reaches billions of £$
    Why spend so much if it easier to rehash old drugs?

19. odonII

odonII O

Are you sure you are in the right thread, bro?

20. katkin

katkin Member

Oh ok, you should check out Dr Ben Goldacre. And OddApple was on about the antibiotics they pump into animals before they are fed to us.