Recent Labcorp Experience

Discussion in 'Drug Testing and Legal Issues' started by JustTested, Apr 26, 2014.

1. JustTested

JustTested Guest

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum-- just wanted to put this information out in to the world for anyone who was interested. I figured it would be the right thing to do, since I spent so much time on the internet searching for this type of post myself in the past two weeks. This will be a long post, but I figured it would be best if I provided all of the details on the off chance that it could help anyone at all.

I recently had to give a urine sample for a pre-employment drug screen. According to my results paperwork, it was a 9 panel screen, + Oxy and MDMA. I assume it was an immunoassay, and was not sent in for gc/ms, so I don't have specific numbers regarding ng/ml.

Here is a list of the substances tested for: Amphetamines, Barbiturate, Cocaine, Cannabinoids, Opiates, Phencyclidine, Benzodiazepines, Methadone, MDMA [Urine Testing], Propoxyphene, and Oxycodone. There is also a section on the results paperwork that lists Creatinine and PHNitrite.

Here's some information about me: I am a female, late 20s, just over 5 feet and about 130 lbs. I am prescribed Wellbutrin/Bupropion (150 mg, 2x/day), Neurontin/Gabapentin (1200 mg, 1x/day, which I very rarely take), and Ultram/Tramadol (100 mg, up to 3x/day, which I take as needed).

I found out about the drug test about 10 days out. However, I had been taking ~20 mg Adderall (IR or XR, depending on what was around) a few times a week for about 6 weeks. Also, about 2 weeks prior to the test, I randomly took .5mg of xanax (also non-presctiption) one night for the first time in over a year.

Naturally I started to panic, and looked at every website and scholarly article I could find about elimination times, half lives, etc. I stopped taking the Adderall immediately, leaving me 9 days until the test. I started drinking the really nasty cranberry juice without any sugar in it, a 32 oz bottle every couple days. I also started drinking extra water (but am aware of hyponatremia, so didn't want to go overboard). I took a 12-panel OTC drug test on day 6 and passed it, but was still nervous anyway.

The night before the test I drank 1 more bottle of cranberry juice, and continued to drink lots of water. I didn't take any of my prescriptions the day before, or morning of, the test, since I've read that Wellbutrin can cause a false positive for amphetamines.

My test was scheduled for 11 am, so I woke up at 7am and drank a bottle of water, peed, and went back to sleep. I did this again at 8:00. I got up for good at 9:00, drank another bottle of water and a red bull (after reading about dilution, I wanted my urine to have a little color to it at least, and not fail the specific gravity test or whatever). I drank 1 more bottle of water on my drive. By the time I reached the test site, I had peed 4 times, and consumed 72 oz of fluid including the red bull.

When I got there, it was (what I assume is) standard procedure-- lock your belongings in a box, wash your hands. The woman said I had 4 minutes in the bathroom (unsupervised), put a fill line on the cup, and told me not to flush or wash my hands after I was done. The toilet was filled with blue water.

I asked the technician if she needed a list of my current medications, and she said no, that if there were any questions I would be contacted.

I said a little prayer to the pharmaceutical gods, and gave my sample. I made sure to give a mid-stream sample, and it was pretty pale yellow, but not clear.

When I brought the cup out, she sealed it and had me sign a bunch of paperwork. The forms were pre-printed, and the "is the sample the correct temperature" box was already checked "yes" --so if you're considering substitution, I guess you're considered innocent until proven guilty. She said I could expect my result in 3-5 days.

This was Friday (yesterday) morning, so I assumed that I wouldn't hear back until at least Monday or Tuesday. My results were posted for me to view this afternoon (Saturday) just after 12 pm, and my results came back negative.

I was worried more about the Xanax than the Adderall, after reading that benzos can be detected in your urine anywhere from 3 days to 6 weeks. According to the internet, the detection times I found for amphetamines ranged from 1-9 days, with most sources claiming around 3-4 days.

So: if you're in a similar spot, try to give yourself 10 days or so, pump yourself with fluids, and if it works, share your success for the next worried person who comes along...

I hope this information about my experience is as helpful to someone out there as the internet community has been to me during a very stressful 10 days!

Wishing you all the best of luck,

-JustTested