Dropping Out of high school and starting for an kayaking instructor course

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by Wolfman's Brother, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Wolfman's Brother

Wolfman's Brother Member

School doesn't interest me and I'm not planning to have any professional career so I don't have any motivations to stay in school,and beside moving from one room into another and listening to those boring bits of information that you will never need in life just it turns me into an pathetic zombie and those memorization tests just drives me nuts in short school makes me depressed and it's sucking my life from me

My town survives most on adventure sports,like skiing,kayaking,canyoning,paragliding. And every summer there are a lot of tourists here and I have been an kayaker since my very youth and know the river very well,I'm also a skier for an very long time and I was thinking that I'm going to get a certificate for a paragliding instructor this year. In winter days I'm planning to travel in New Zeland where I could work at another adventure agency or work at farm because at winter there really isn't any tourism here.

What would you do in my case?,And no I can't take school anymore it's to frustrating for me.
    I'm most scared of upsetting my parents because their son is going to be an drop out and And I have talked to them many times I want to drop out but I don't know if they accepted my decision

2. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I think that if you asked people who dropped out of high school 10 years afterward if they wish they had stayed, most would say yes.

Even if you can get a job doing something related to adventure sports, the problem is that there is no guarantee that the industry won't dry up, or that you otherwise won't end up without a job.

You might want to look into getting a GED, or seeing if it would be possible to get a GED sometime in the future.

no matter what you decide to do, hope this all works out

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I have a friend who shares a story often to people where he fought the math teacher in an argument that he would never use any of the stuff he was being taught like Pythagoras theory etc.

He left school and got an apprenticeship in steel trade. On his first day he realized he needed to learn Pythagoras theory lol.

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

How long does it take to finish high school over there? You're 16, over here you would finish it this summer. Then you could go learn and work in the tourist industry. It probably takes a year longer I reckon, otherwise finishing it this year would seem the logical choice.

5. MindControlledShepple

MindControlledShepple Member

You just gotta work hard but starting a kayaking business seems kinda hard, seeing as its seasonal. You need to think long term, what you will do year round. Maybe kayak and something else on the side. I advice you to at least get your GED

6. Asmodean

If you are using your friends real name on this forum to convince us you're not lying you are seriously stupid.

7. MindControlledShepple

There you go sweetie

8. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You probably can't get a job as a guide or instructor without a high school diploma.

9. Asmodean

If you are using a fictional name that would be good, although since you told us it was his real name you would technically be lying :p

10. MindControlledShepple

I should have made my username

ImApparentlyLyingEveryPostDontListenToMe

11. Asmodean

Don't let your mind be so easily influenced by a stranger on the internet. It certainly clashes with your username. Unless you mean that literally about yourself of course.

12. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

Well, he didn't finish high school.

13. MindControlledShepple

Ya I dont have my psychology degree....

14. Asmodean

You get a psychology degree over there if you finish high school??

15. MindControlledShepple

yeah from seeing the crazy mofo's lol naw I went to MSU

16. Eavesdrop

Eavesdrop Member

It's been 28 years and I DON'T wish I had stayed. I'm soooo glad I got the hell out of there when I did. I couldn't stand one more second of one more day trapped in a building where you have to ask permission to go to the bathroom. You can do anything with a GED that you can do with a standard diploma. In fact no one has ever asked to see mine.

17. OddApple

OddApple Member

I left the herd sheeple behind, chased my dreams and in my case it was exactly the right thing to do. Best wishes to you! Take the ged test and have that so you can get in to college when you want to...if...it's kind of a scam now anyway. Tourist money is mui bueno and destiny is...well...better than smelling sheep and tolerating the losers that herd them

18. OddApple

OddApple Member

If you learn to laugh at, utterly ignore and take the money of these types, you will do well while they pay you for ONE DAY of actual worthwhile life. Everything in the grave says "join us!" or "You're gonna get in truuuble!". Shhhh! Let the herd walk around the pillar or they'll all want to work where you do.