My experiences with A/B extraction of Mescaline HCl with xylene

Discussion in 'Cacti Delecti' started by Hedgeclipper, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Hedgeclipper

Hedgeclipper Qiluprneeels Nixw

I'm extremely exhausted and all fucked up from breathing xylene fumes for a million hours, but here goes. This is the rundown of my acid-base extraction of mescalin hcl:

anyways here goes: Me and my buddy attempted an acid base extraction of mescaline HCl with xylene as the nonpolar solvent. We achieved some degree of success, but a lot of improvisation occurred and it was more of a learning experience at the end of the day.

We choipped up 5 big san pedros, blended them, made a soup, made it acidic and boiled it down... then we filtered it, brought it down to pH=4 and defatted with xylene. Unfortunately my deal for a 500mL sep funnel fell through. I'll be picking it up later for future use, but we only had our little 150mL sep funnel to work with, so we ended up doing a massive amount of tedious pipetting, then, put the messy stuff near the emulsification layer into our tiny sep funnel and split if up like that. We did like 4 or 5 defatting procedures with xylene and still didn't get all the fat.

two important things learned
    -just buy a damned sep funnel
    -probably better to use dried and ground cactus than fresh, blended cactus. In the future I will use ground peruvian torch (which has a higher alkaloid content to begin wiht). Also, unhealthy san pedro seem to have unusually high fat content. Better to nurse them to health before cutting them up.

So after the ridiculous amount of defatting, we made the freebase (very fun process: you squirt lye into the acidic aqueous mescaline layer, and you see the freebase form in there like a little white-green geyser inside the red acidic water... then we tried to extract the freebase mescaline into an upper xylene layer (this is where the standard tek started to show signs of problems). We ended up with massive amounts of emulsification and very little mescaline in our xylene. I think it was a fat problem (and we probably should've used smaller batches as well). That didn't work very well. I think nonpolar solvent is great for defatting, but fuck using it beyond that point in the extraction. We ended up makign it acidic again and filtering, and then at the end of the day we just dried out the freebase directly from the water layer.... then we salted it and crystalized.

things learned:
    - Don't usde xylene for anything other than defatting. Just freebase, extract and make the salt.
    -use more water if you're gonna do this much cactus. Split it up into smaller batches
    -vacuum filtration all the way. We had a hirsch and a vacuum erlenmeyer, but I forgot my vacuum pump. Definitely going to use a 500mL sep funnel and a vacuum pump next time.
    -don't put HCl in your mother's expensive stainless steel pots. It's really hard to explain.

a couple pix: (will post more in my thread)
    some of the materials:
    [​IMG]
    soup soup soup:
    [​IMG]
    jars of fat and xylene on the left, freebase forming on the right:
    (that greenish stuff is the free base forming after we squirted a bunch of NaOH into the bottom acidic layer. The acidic layer looks like red/brown ale. semitransparent dark red/auburn colour, then the freebase is this wonderful looking white-green stuff. Once dry it looks like green oil paint. Then when you salt it with HCl it turns yellow as it dissolves)
    [​IMG]
    final product from wash #1 (we ended up with much more by the end, this was just from the first improvised attempt). around 650mg of fatty mescaline HCl. Some good crystals, but a little bit sticky. DEfinitely some leftover fat. Maybe 50-70% pure???
    [​IMG]

Our A/B extraction ended up going in three different directions (and we still have various jars and starting materials to work on on a rainy day). The stuff that looks like picture #4 is pretty good mescaline HCl, but it should be browner. The green stickyness is leftover fat. Again: defat with a sep funnel! Use better cactus! After we learned some things, we did a cleaner aqueous extract and we got some fine brownish-tan crystals. We did this a couple times but we got very very small yields with this stuff. I think this stuff was very pure. IT was better defatted, but we lost a lot in the emulsification after the defatting.

Then at the end, we dried a big load of freebase (from the jar in pic #3) and salted it. We got some sort of a very confusing substance. Tell me if you have any ideas about it. I will take a picture at some point, but here are some of its properties:
    -very high yield. A few grams. Much more than the freen fatty crystals or the tan purish crystals
    -Despite acidity before the crystalization, the stuff smells strongly of sodium hydroxide and feels soapy
    -It looks a lot like a big chunk of black tar heroin or some sort of hash
    -It is highly water soluble. The glass was covered in this sticky gross hash-looking mess, but just a tiny bit of water washed it 100% clean.

I've heard of people getting stuff that looks like all of the end products that we got, so I figure we did a few things right. We really did a lot of improvisation, but I think we could do a very good job if we did it again with a few modifications on our procedure. I think we would go by the method that made the tan-brown crystals at low yield, but do a better job of it of course.

After all that, it was a very fun day. After a big day of school and work and gym, we ended up staying awake for a long ass time and workign for over 24 hours straight. Wouldn't have taken as long if we had a better "lab". We were pretty severely cracked out by around hour 14. Tedious pipetting, xylene fumes and severe sleep deprivation had messed us up... since we were working with bases anyways, we converted some gbl to ghb and did some of that. Took a little break, worked for another 12 hours.
    A/B extraction of mescaline hcl is a very hard process. Probably harder than dimitri. It takes a lot of work and takes a long time. I am exhausted. It was a fun fucking day though

2. Hedgeclipper

(reposted from psychedelic bump)

some more info:

so here are all of the final products (more stuff in jars to extract later)
    [​IMG]
    the green-brown fatty powder reacts slowly: it bubbles a lot, then the bubbles recede and leave an orange liquid, which eventually turns orange-brown (probably due to the green stuff)
    bubbles:
    [​IMG]
    brown goop reacting on the left, green-brown fatty powder reacting on the right:
    [​IMG]
    they end up looking like this:
    [​IMG]

the brown goop reacts more strongly. I think there is a good amount of mescaline in there... but it is a gooey solid so it doesn't work quite right, but it does definitely end up orange by the end. The other stuff gets the same orange-ness, but a little more brown (like I said, probably due to the green)

I'm thinking there's definitely some mescaline in there... but I'm not really sure how I should go about dosing. Definitely going to start with a low dose. The brown goop still smells like NaOH and is more basic than it should be (and dissolves surprisingly well in water). I was thinking I'd put like 300mg of brown goop in OJ and drink it. Not sure about the powder.

IRL the dots look more orange with a hint of green. Not super strong orange though. Picture came out more brown looking.

anybody got input on this?

3. Smokenmirrors

Smokenmirrors Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I have land and some startup change if you ever want to build a lab in W. Tn

4. Hedgeclipper

dude wtf

all of your posts are like the sketchiest thing you could post.

that's cool though. maybe someday. I would like to work in some legitimate labs in the next couple years though

1 person likes this.
  5. Smokenmirrors

Smokenmirrors Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Fukin Amazing! Is there a camp site available nearby? Training laypeople like myself to sorta safely produce recreational delicacies in our own homes, would be an enormous contribution to connoisseurs like me. An attempt at DMT from mimosa root accomplished nothing but burning up my coffee bean grinder, HELP!

6. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

idk why i never saw this thread before but that does look like fun. i agree that acid base extractions can take a long ass time. the first time i made dmt took probably more than 12 hours and that's not counting the freeze precipitation step.

7. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

fuck working with xylene - even with proper ventilation everyone from a mile around can smell it