DIY beads, made of plastic bags

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by TheGratefulPhish, Apr 5, 2014.

1. TheGratefulPhish

TheGratefulPhish Member

This is pretty interesting, thought somebody would like this :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pR3muXRPcg"]PLASTIC BEADS from grocery bags, diy HOW TO, recycle plastic bags. Handmade beads. - YouTube

2. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

That's a cool idea and I guess a good way to reuse bags but I wouldn't have the patience to make those. Did you make them? Also have to say, i wouldn't be too crazy about wearing plastic bag beads..they're not that pretty. I'd probably just stick to natural stones. Also, is it safe to burn plastic like that? o_O also, I can't decide if I really like that ladies voice or if it's just creepy, or both... she seems like she's just having a field day burning plastic bags into beads then painting them with nailpolish :D

3. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

A few years ago I was buying beads like crazy from ebay and bead stores....no plastic ones, though....alot of lampwork beads....which can cost quite a bit....but they are tiny handmade beautiful little works of glass art....I bought the semi precious stone beads, as well, shells....have a few shoeboxes here full of all sorts of beads....including crystal....wood...everything except plastic. I loved making jewelry gifts for people...mostly bracelets....have not made anything in quite awhile, though...and I must say the bead community is a bunch of very lovely people.....

4. TheGratefulPhish

TheGratefulPhish Member

It probably would be best to avoid inhaling any fumes let off by the burning plastic. I might try to make them. And she does sound too excited, to each his own I suppose :p

5. MindControlledShepple

MindControlledShepple Member

cool idea if your broke as shit and bored as shit lol

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

thats cool stuff to keep you occupied for free...

7. TheGratefulPhish

TheGratefulPhish Member

And want to recycle in a useful way that many have as a hobby*

8. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

i can't watch the video, but if she's burning the plastic to make those "beads"....it's not exactly environmentally friendly.

and they kinda look like a plastic turd to me, but i don't mean to be such a downer :)

9. Annwyn'Bri

Annwyn'Bri Member

It's better than putting those bags in the landfill.

10. porkstock41

^^^i don't really see how.

it's gonna end up there eventually anyways. only now, you have first released toxic fumes by melting the bag into a "bead."

11. drawinginblank

drawinginblank Member

That is really a cool idea. I think I am going to try it. I've got plenty of plastic bags.

12. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

Re-usable bags are a good investment..

13. Annwyn'Bri

Annwyn'Bri Member

But the reality is that they bags exist. The likelihood that the beads made from them will exist in a better form than the bags going directly to the landfill... they become something creative, beautiful and useful. If everyone used re-usable bags, I would agree totally. But that isn't happening.

14. porkstock41

i agree that it's better than going in a landfill, but not by much.

it's still a decomposing piece of plastic. it's still gonna last 1000s of years. so what's the huge difference if it's in the landfill or in your jewelry box?

15. Annwyn'Bri

Annwyn'Bri Member

Because it's in the jewelry box and NOT the landfill. Jewelry often gets given to others or sold... so it's not just being thrown away. There is a huge difference.

16. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

if you cut up the bag, add a cobalt metal catalyst, and heat it to 700 degrees C, you'll get carbon nano tubes

17. porkstock41

fair enough.

my point that everything eventually ends up as garbage is pretty much irrelevant. because it's still a good thing to re-use stuff. it could prevent more garbage from being made in the first place.

18. deleted

deleted Visitor

probably could make some good fishing lures with the bags too..