Why are conspiracies and conspiracy theories ridiculed by the media?

Discussion in 'The Media' started by Fueled by Coffee, Apr 3, 2014.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I'll first point out my own observation how most people don't seem to know the definition of Conspiracy, or what it means to to Conspire. So I'll lay it out for y'all:

1 a : to join in a secret agreement to do an unlawful or wrongful act or an act which becomes unlawful as a result of the secret agreement

When most people hear the word "conspiracy" the crazy foil-hat wearing character will come to mind.

That being said, there've been plenty of real conspiracies that have taken place across governments and big businesses all throughout history. Many of which were covered up. And when these facts get leaked to the masses, the guilty fight desperately to deny it despite the obvious evidence. Many of these conspiracies started out as unreasarched theories, only to be proven to become actual events later.

Yet in all sorts of corporate media like advertisements, newscasters, and the entertainment industry, we see the conspiracy theorist as a schizo, crazy, belligerent, paranoid, crazy person who dons the silly foil hat. Because of this, any condtadictory facts that are brought forth by a legitimate source always get mocked and demonized as conspiracy theory by mainstream media. And they condition the public to believe every word the TV tells them, and close their minds to other sides of the story.

My take is that the real reason why the messengers of conspiracy facts are demonized by popular media is because they know that these people are threats to their real agendas. So they do anything they can to demonize them to the rest of the ignorant voting public. Why else?

1 person likes this.
  2. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Cnn has been talking a lot about conspiracy's when it comes to the missing plane. News usually covers current events and proof of a conspiracy is usually found out a while after the incident. It may get covered but just a mention ... not a full segment. Of course grouping all conspiracy's together makes it hard to give fact about being that each conspiracy is so different. And might be covered or not covered for many different reasons.

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Because THEY want you to believe whatever THEY tell you.

4. RandomVegan

RandomVegan Member

they ridicule for one of two reasons

1 ) the theorist is being really nuts

B ) they are part of the coverup

5. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Because it goes against the brainwashed programming they are expected to follow!!

6. Alex0256

Alex0256 Member

Yep. No matter if it's bullcrap or half-truths.

7. 6-eyed shaman

I get where you're coming from. That could also be said about any subculture with a philosophical belief. Religious, political, activist, etc.

8. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

Because most conspiracies are just speculation, facts taken out of context, snippets of truth, outright lies and indignation.

People who have no business trying to explain complex events or concepts are making up for their lack of knowledge by being louder, angrier and more indignant than the rest.

People are more likely to listen to the lunatics screaming simple accusations and easy-to-swallow explanations on the streetcorner than the sane, rational man who tries to explain the long, boring, complicated story of an event with a lot of difficult concepts that you actually need to put effort/read up on before you can understand.

Nobody has the time or focus to actually understand anything fully... but everyone also wants to have an opinion.

And it's useless to argue with conspiracists because if you do make a point, the conspiracist's mind will just jump to something else, and then you'll need to study and sort through endless amounts of information to disprove that as well-- by which time, they've moved onto something else. And it just goes on and on like that forever.

But if you think there should be more of that kind of thing floating around, the good news is that I do think conspiracists are having more impact on the American news lately... mostly because that shit sells, networks are losing viewers, and they need to make money. After a while, the only way to stay sane is to turn it all off forever and stop thinking about it.

But yeah, they will keep trying to catch your attention no matter where you go.

9. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

I'll bet there were guys back in the '60s screaming about the gulf of Tonkin incident and they were labeled conspiracy nuts.

You can't just ignore everything.

A lot of conspiracy theory's might not be true but some certainly point toward the truth.

1 person likes this.
  10. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Why are conspiracies and conspiracy theories ridiculed by the media?
    = Because the Media is a body of Communication which is predominantly run by Corporate Control ?!?

11. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

People like a mystery.There is something dark and ominous about conspiracies that attracts the disaffected.To some extent I am one of these people,although I always try to find rational explanations at the outset.Of course underhand stuff is going down.There's no smoke without a a fire,as they say.

12. powerquest

powerquest Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM8L7bdwVaA
    [​IMG]
    The news is a script. There's no room for honest investigation or discussion that transcends the corporatist partisan system. I think many conspiracies are shaky at best, but many do have kernels of truth, and for that reason there should always be room for discussion.

13. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Like stereotypes, there is always some truth in most conspiracies. The way the "mass" of citizens are and have been treated when it comes to absolute(and in some cases even partial) truth from media---whether 100 years ago or presently, is to craft it to protect and hide those that need protection from nefarious actions. eg:Control for beneficial results.

14. 6-eyed shaman

Whenever I'm having a discussion with someone about world affairs and contemporary issues, and they denounce all my statements as nutty conspiracy theory, I always ask 'em,

"Aside from listening to corporately owned newscasters, how much independent research have you done?"

Shuts them right up usually

15. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

That's probably the point where they give up on trying to talk to you.

Yes, media outlets are corporate/public owned-- that doesn't mean it's a good idea to start placing your faith in Mr. Disgruntled and his cheapo wordpress blog.

16. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

There is no 'the media'! :eek::leaving:

17. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

The media hates the truth.

I used to ignore the conspiracies, thinking it's all garbage. Then Y2K happened, and I was certain that conspiracies are garbage.

Then I looked at all the hard times I've had and friends have had, and I soon realized that it's impossible to ignore the truth, no matter how much the media hides it.

Not all conspiracies are huge and international.

18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Could it be that just like not all conspiracies are based on thin air, not all media hates the truth either? ;)

19. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Indeed they do bud!!

THEY WANT YOU BLINDLY BELIEVING THE BS THEY SPEW!! (And they expect you to as they think they have EVERYONE IN THIER CONTROL)

20. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Media = sewage
    (IMO)