Do you know who you "truly" are?

Discussion in 'Existentialism' started by ginalee14, Mar 13, 2014.

1. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

I've never heard that. Who are they who say it? Sounds none too kind, quite anti-life.

2. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Because the people who claim to have found some ultimate knowledge can be quite dangerous.

3. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

You don't believe that you wouldn't believe me? lol

I did the "I am" work very many years ago .. trust me, you're not me and I'm not you. There's only one of you and you're it. There's only one of me, and I'm it. We are not the same identity.. we share our identities with no other.

4. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

I bet you could be quite dangerous under the right conditions so I don't think that is a reliable reason for suspicion. The condition of knowing is quite safe. The only ultimate claim that a person can make I think would be whatever was on their last breath.

5. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

You mean powerful. Some say knowledge is power. In that case, power is the danger. I suppose it's a diverse matter.

But is that supposed to mean that nobody should ever have knowledge or power? It could be a matter of jealousy.

6. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

It is supposed to mean that one ought to strive and seek the truth at all times, even if they think they have found it.

7. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

You make me feel young again. So listen to me that way. I am considering myself unlearned as of yet concerning the "Know thyself" idea, riddle, OR content of truly understanding who to believe for being myself. Ultimate knowledge I think you would agree is at the third form of believing in oneself.

As of now; I don't.:sunny:

8. thedope

No silly. That you are incomprehensible doesn't occur to me, it is your belief.

I didn't say that you shared my identity. I am is a condition we all inherit in creation. Ours bodies are common currency of the species, the physical environment or laws of energetic exchange are common to us all. The individual that I am is a facet or corridor of refraction in a common mind. The whole of yourself always stands in relations.

9. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

That sounds like living in denial and negation.

10. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

I didn't inherit my being in my creation. I inherited it long after in my belonging to a emerging tradition which entrusted me with capacities feelings and hope of rather arbitrary social conditions.

11. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

Your clever skills can now yield ignorance of yourself.

12. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

It isn't belief .. it's knowledge. And that knowledge is had by experience (which is where true knowledge comes from). I've "been there done that" more than enough times haha.

You may be a part of a collective whole but your identity is unique to you. The same applies to everyone. Each person has their own unique identity -- they are the only one of that person. And though we breathe the same air and we all have a human body, we aren't only human beings. Drop your body -- you still exist, and you still have an identity. That identity is yours, for all eternity and evermore.

13. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

Cease to exist? lol

14. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

You are a unique being, Anaximenes. So tradition is where you found or discovered yourself?

15. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

Anyone experience "Backchat" during waking consciousness.It's kind of like when you're trying to think seriously about something,you're focusing on something difficult that you need to do - a part of your mind is thinking in language...The frontal mind system that is you is trying to operate logically,but then it seems like "another you" is trying to speak through - attacking yourself,criticising your efforts in a form of auto/self sabotage.It's pretty schizo in a way.This leads me to think identity to some extent is not fixed.It is always shifting between polarities.This is part of our unease I think.Learning to quieten the "Backchat" is something I am working on.

16. thedope

No you haven't said what it is you think you are that is so incomprehensible. ha ha

What you describe as unique identity is a chimera of the naturally abstract mind.
    Yes I am part of a whole and I am whole and anything less than the whole or greater than the whole is an abstraction. If your identity is unique to you then you couldn't be identified with, i.e. communicate with us. Words are symbols are experiential conjugations and we understand each other because as you claim we been there done that.

17. thedope

Being is unconditional it is your sense of identity you question.

18. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

Internalized negativity that is unbalanced. If there is not equal (or more!) input of positivity.. the negativity can take over. That negativity belongs to humanity (culture, society, ancestry). We're supposed to be kind, gentle, supportive.. but for some reason, we do the opposite. It's more corrections, fault-finding, blaming.. it's society's dysfunctions that get internalized. Almost impossible to not fight back.

This song was good to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPOQEjjevdk"]The Healing Room by Sinead O'Connor - YouTube

19. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I don't really believe that we are in the matrix. BUT I did get freaked out to read that some scientists think there is evidence that it is real and all that... don't really like thinking about that to be honest tho.

20. I belong to Chris

I belong to Chris Guest

Love yourself. You are all worthy and created by God.