Who are your favorite artists and why?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Moonglow181, Mar 9, 2014.

1. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

Hunter Biden, Can't believe no one mentioned him. Amazing what a little coke and paint can create. Wait I mean ALOT of coke and a little paint.

2. BenS Alaskan

BenS Alaskan Members

Michal Goddard

3. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Winslow Homer (1836-1925) was a Yankee of seafaring ancestry. Like Eakins, the sober realist, and Ryder, the visionary, Homer was untouched by French Impressionism although he went to the International Exhibition in Paris in 1867.

Homer’s realism was American. He never lost interest in form. Critics and public alike take pride in his achievement. Never in eclipse, he is today acclaimed as an American dramatic realist. His works are accorded respect and admiration because of his powerful directness of vision, because of the technical skill and the love with which man and nature are joined in convincing unity.

Homer’s long apprenticeship starting in civil war days as a faithful recorder of camp life. Through woodcuts and engravings of soldiers, or of negroes, of school scenes or of children at play. His drawings were reproduced in popular magazines like Harper’s Weekly. Such commissions strengthened his inborn capacity as a draughtsman. They prepared him for his subsequent technical accomplishments in watercolor, as in oil. Late in life he voiced a prophecy that has come true. "You will see in the future I will live by my watercolors".

5. Sealman708

Sealman708 Newbie

Salvadore Dali, I've always like surrealistic art so naturally Dali feel right into that category. I think what made me like him so much is that after spending the day at the Dali Museum in St Pete Floridia and see much more of his works and learning more about him he become a favorite. Never mind the fact I remember the weird guy on "What's my line" and "Hollywood Squares"; I believe the one painting though that amazed me is his "Basket of Bread". It's not a surrealistic painting, it a loaf of bread in a wicker basket, big deal, right? I was able to literally stand a few inches away and saw the literally thousands of little, tiny brush strokes he made to create a wicker basket that look real, the loaf of bread had a glow to it as well as an almost 3D effct. It was like you could reach over and grab the loaf of bread. After that and seeing his Portrait of Lincoln and many other of his creations I gained a new respect for Dali.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

probably frank kelly freas and roger dean. also everyone on my watch list on fur affinity.
    my idea of art is to share ideas and concepts by illustrating them.
    my own is of the world i've created/built in my head.
    its really places, infrastructure, odd rustic shelter, little furry creatures, more then most things to do with humans.

7. whitez

whitez Members

I like Yoshitaka Amano, Akira Toriyama, Hiroo Isono

Mountain Valley Wolf likes this.
  8. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

Thomas Kinkade!

I'M JOKING!!!

Apologies to anyone who has a Kinkade, but yeah-----mass produced shopping mall kitsch just isn't art. I have politely feigned an interest and hid my disgust when people hear that I collect art and then tell me about their Kinkade.

It is hard to pick a single artist----but if I was going to, it would probably be Jean-Honore Fragonard, particularly all his art that is extremely pregnant with sexual implications. One thing that I love is that my grandmother probably had a copy of a Fragonard hanging in her house, completely oblivious to the sexual nature of the piece. I have seen it pop up everywhere, and people are completely oblivious. We even had a bathroom cabinet with an image from a Fragonard on it.

I have an antique woodblock print from France. It is unisgned, but it is in the style of Fragonard. It is of a young man teaching a young girl how to play the flute. It is also untitled so I call it, In Preparation of the Deflowering.

Here is Fragonard's piece, The Secret Meeting. If there is any doubt about what is going to happen in this secret meeting---just look at the shape of the trees in the background. The statue gives us a glimpse of some 9 months later...

upload_2024-1-8_3-18-54.png

A different question might be, what is your favorite artist to collect? That would narrow it down to what is available. Jardin animal prints are probably still relatively cheap and easy to acquire. I have a number of prints and have gifted a few over the years as well. Jardin was the one who taught Audobon how to do animal prints and his brother was the one that published both his and Audobon's prints. Maybe it is Jardine---I forget.

Vernet was a historical painter and early lithographer. I have a good Vernet regarding Napolean that I bought in Paris. I am looking for some more Vernet's.

We have a good collection of Karl Bang's but I don't think many are left in the market place now.

There are more, but I'm tired now.......

Saylem likes this.
  9. Saylem

Saylem save your water, kill the roses

I have a lot of favorites. I'm really in love with the Pre-Raphaelite brotherhood. John Everett Millais, John William Waterhouse, and Dante Gabriel Rosetti are all incredible artists from that movement. I also love Vincent van Gogh and Edgar Degas, as well as Alfons Mucha. Frida Kahlo, Frank Dicksee, Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema, Jules Joseph Lefebvre, William Adolphe Bouguereau, the list goes on and on and on, I'm sure I'm forgetting some names but those are all the ones I find particularly inspiring.

Mountain Valley Wolf and Piney like this.