Respectfully skeptical

Discussion in 'Astrology' started by Sabriel, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Sabriel

Sabriel Guest

Astrology seem like the perfect thing.
    Planets, stars, macro reflecting in the micro, into us (puny us).. But something seems off. Like who decided which attributes fitted which star signs? And who decided that the constellations they picked out in the sky meant this and that specifically? And why do people think they are so important that something as divinely functional as stars have anything to do with us? And why are the exact birth charts so wrong sometimes? And I consider myself more than slightly introspective so this isn't me not accepting less appealing traits.
    It is confusing.. maybe someone has some answers because I have searched books and the web and nothing of the origins beyond the culture. And how did they know? Aliens? At the risk of sounding like a tinfoil-cap sort it seems like the only way to know, for us, monkey-types to have gained this divine knowledge given that it holds truth. Or maybe psychedelics. Maybe there is something similar to DMT but different and Egyptians or Hermetics kept it secret, never wrote it down, stumbled upon it while combining plants. Perhaps. But for now I see no proof or consistency even subjectively enough to give any faith.
    Answers? Ponders? No anger though, I come from a place of trying to understand, not trying to undermine any ideology.

2. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You have very valid points....

3. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

4. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

The Magi followed a star...

From The Only Astrology Book You Will Ever Need by Joanna Martine Woolfolk

One surprising thing about the science of the stars is its constant newness. Down through the centuries philosophers, mystics, and spiritual teachers have studied, written about, refined, and pondered astrology's significance.

It is the world's oldest science and our own generation's
    newest subject of inquiry.

You can read the entire book HERE

5. SpaceTrippin

SpaceTrippin Banned

Astrology is a bunch of hoho for hoho's
    I find it hard to believe there is today still people who believe in that crap!

6. MichaelJE

MichaelJE Member

Astrology is more widely used than you could ever imagine. An employer could be delineating your birthdate and hire you, or not hire you, just based on your placements. Same with a potential mate, that person, gets ahold of your birthdate, and then you wonder why there wasn't a second date, or they quickly proposed to you. I love it when I come across posts like this, that astrology is crap! And I go on doing my "identity thefts" secretly.

7. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

An opportunist! Considering your stats, I'd say you sure aren't lying.

8. Abyssinian

Abyssinian Member

I used to love the idea of astrology, but no matter how true they seem to be, when you read all the star signs there will be coincidental similarities to your personality and life in almost every one. And the more detailed they are, the harder they are to believe. There are twelve star signs, or thirteen sometimes, I guess (I stopped paying attention). Taking into consideration that there are roughly 600 million other Scorpios out there, does that mean that 600 million people are going to "find love this week", or that 600 million people are "passionate, resourceful, observant, jealous and manipulative" by nature?

That's the point where I give up.

9. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

That's just horoscopes. You'd need to study your own birth chart and then know the positions of the cosmos today to know their influences.

10. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I've never had any reason to believe that astrology is anything other than a superstition.

11. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Here is one rather intriguing theory;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBWC1GBzslg"]The Glory of the Stars - YouTube