Govenment dietary recommendations

Discussion in 'Libertarian' started by Bilby, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Recently the Swedish Government has adopted a high fat/ low carb diet recommendation for its citizens. While I agree with such a recommendation, I am not sure governments should make recommendations. What does anyone else think?

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

They are only going to recommend what the corporations want them to recommend...

Wait!

3. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

Not buyin' it.

4. monkjr

monkjr Senior Member

It depends on what types of fat those recommendations are saying should be consumed.

Lots of healthy oils are considered fats as well.

Health statistics and time will tell the true benefits and consequences of those recommendations.

But remember it's a fallacy to think all fat is bad.

5. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

It doesn't actually mean anything.
    Canada's had a food guide since forever.

6. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

There has to be an authority. If science is just another word for knowledge and government is just another word for authority, then it makes sense that the authority is expected to be knowledgeable, trustworthy and reliable.

But are they knowledgeable, trustworthy and reliable? If not, they're obviously not qualified to be the authority. But if they are qualified, then Humanity should want a proper authority in place.

Do governments truly have Humanity's best interests at Heart? If so, to what degree?

But let's examine something like the American Heart Association. They are not a government agency but they are *protected* by the government. They serve the government, and people:
    They are tax-exempt. Here is the link for American Heart Association's Annual Report.

Here is the link of their Board of Directors (leadership).

Their policies are at the bottom of the page from the first link.

7. OddApple

OddApple Member

Let the government pick what you eat, drink and have for medicine if you want to have a sickly and stupid people. Oh...too late..

8. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

Prices of garbage = affordable.

Prices of healthier foods = out of reach (for a lot of people).

9. OddApple

OddApple Member

Gina, they've started listing poisons as vitamins and vitamins as toxins ~ it's not the old "food pyramid" anymore and they keep moving our standards towards CODEX alimentarius, which admits billions will die under it's implementation. People are fighting codex like crazy.
    At least now there is so much outcry and boycott of gmo's/ monsanto that the word is getting out better. The chinese and russians won't eat it, new zealand treats it like hazardous waste but the us will stiil feed it to us and fight even honesty in the label to sell it for monsanto.

10. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

I've heard of it but haven't read or studied it.

11. OddApple

OddApple Member

It also lowers the nutrient standards to malnutrition levels, which fosters disease and the spread of infectious disease. Ask a doctor if they would go by that standard - for their own self

Dr. Rima laibow is a good source for info and comparative charts http://drrimatruthreports.com/aboutus/meet-rima-e-laibow-md/

12. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

I like Dr. Lima. She's inspiring.

http://www.codexalimentarius.org/

The website has a YT video and it says: pesticides protect your health.

I can't find a definition for alimentarius but I'm looking for it. I do see the word ailment in alimentarius, though. For my ailments, I want a good healer.

That pesticide thing makes me think of sterility. Not reproductive sterility, but the sterility of an operating room. Then that makes me think of mental and emotional sterility. ESPECIALLY emotional sterility. But whatever, I'm wandering far away from government dietary recommendations.

13. OddApple

OddApple Member

Alimentary tract - from your mouth, through your stomach and to "out" :)

14. fraggle_rock

fraggle_rock Member

Considering nobody actually listens, I don't see why it would make a difference.

I can't see a conspiracy here-- people already love eating shitty food made of god knows what.

15. OddApple

OddApple Member

Ok, got to give you that one ~

16. odonII

odonII O

Why shouldn't they? Most countries do.

The decision to make the dramatic change results from two years of research by the independent Swedish Council on Health Technology Assessment. After analyzing 16,000 studies, the council concluded that diets high in fat and protein and low in carbohydrates benefit the health and the waistline more than the traditional food pyramid that reigns in the United States.

"The stricter low-carbohydrate diet will lead to improved glucose levels for individuals with obesity and diabetes," stated Swedish physician Andreas Eenfeldt.

"Butter, olive oil, heavy cream, and bacon are not harmful foods. Quite the opposite. Fat is the best thing for those who want to lose weight. And there are no connections between a high fat intake and cardiovascular disease," he added.

Prof. Fredrik Nyström, from Linköping, Sweden, has been a proponent of reduced carbohydrate diets for years, promoting saturated fat such as butter and bacon over bread and barley.

“I’ve been working with this for so long. It feels great to have this scientific report, and that the skepticism towards low-carb diets among my colleagues has disappeared during the course of the work. When all recent scientific studies are lined up the result is indisputable: our deep-seated fear of fat is completely unfounded. You don’t get fat from fatty foods, just as you don’t get atherosclerosis from calcium or turn green from green vegetables," he declared.

17. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

haha, thanks.

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Hey, odon posted something pressed rat would agree with.

19. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Yes, this just may be the most truthful thing I've ever read in an Odon post... even if he didn't say it himself.

20. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

The government keeps changing it's stance. A mix of non-processed natural foods makes the most sense to me.