Am I a Libertarian?

Discussion in 'Libertarian' started by TheSamantha, Feb 13, 2014.

1. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

-I support social safety nets such as Medicaid, welfare, SSI/SSDI, food stamps, temporary cash assistance, etc.

-I'm against illegal immigration

-I'm pro-choice

-I'm against affirmative action, I support class based quotas

-I don't think the US is a very racist place; I think racial profiling is rational avoidance. I think stereotypes are on average true.

-I support Israel

-I'm support men's rights in terms of domestic violence, child custody battles, date rape, etc.

-I believe people have a right to ruin their lives. I think that people should do whatever they want insofar as they're not infringing on anyone else's right to do whatever they want.

-I support legalizing marijuana

-I support legalizing prostitution

-I'm on fence about gun control, just not sure how I feel about it

-I'm against the spread of Sharia Law into the West. I feel that Islam is incompatible with the West.

-I support assimilation and pulling oneself up by one's bootstraps, with help and resources

-I'm against Bilingual Education

-I'm militant about free speech

-I'm against Marxist indoctrination in the school system

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

You can be all those things and still come to the conclusion you do not fit the closest label. You decide!

edit: I can't help but mentioning pretty much every sane westerner is against sharia law in western countries :p (and perhaps even in eastern countries as well!). Sharia law is indeed incompatible with our societies. Islamic people however, are not by default. There's a big difference.

3. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

It seems you have some Libertarian tendencies, but I wouldn't worry about placing a label on yourself. I think you should look at the candidates in your area and vote for the ones you most agree with. If it's a Libertarian then that's great. If it's not then that's OK too.

4. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

why bother with responding when letlovin said it better than i ever would have....i may have made it funnier with time to think of a joke but not as well.

5. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

You're cool other than the commie part.

6. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

If you care about protecting the environment, then you are not a Libertarian.

snowtiggernd likes this.
  7. LetLovinTakeHold

This is the same thing as saying ,"If you're a Democrat then you want to take everyone's guns away."

Or any other generic stereotype that gets thrown at all of the parties.

Or ,"You're a hippy so that means you can't hold a job and just want to smoke pot all day."

8. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

As long as, sunfighter, you have it in mind, your property is free for everyone to take possession of for the common needs of the community, you are one for the evolution of a new system of justice. Technically the rule may also confiscate your property. Am I right for liberty rather than anarchy?

9. sunfighter

No, not really. There have been several threads here on the topic of libertarians protecting the environment and the upshot was that they don't. They have a theory on how to do it, but pretty much everyone on HF agreed that the theory couldn't work.

10. LetLovinTakeHold

The problem is trying to fit Libertarian ideals into the illusional environmental safety system you have now, and then use the current court system to enforce it. Which would be even more of a cluster fuck than we have now. You have to change the courts in a way that will work with the laws.

Admittedly, the more well known Libertarian idea of just leaving things along to work itself out, would be a disaster. But there are a few ways of going about it that would most definitely work better than what we have now. We would just have to be willing to change every aspect of what's involved in order for it to work together.

11. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Did I miss something... where did she mention the environment in any way?

In any case, LLTH said pretty much what I woulda said... I will say in addition that many of the things you mentioned are pretty libertarian ideas (although they could also fall into other categories).... and many of the things you mentioned are kinda all over the place-meaning things you mentioned don't fall into one particular "category" or pol. party. Which is how I think many people who think who think for themselves and don't just blindly follow what a certain pol. party tells them to are. But, yea, I wouldn't worry about categorizing yourself.

12. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

Yeah, that's my view too. Economic reasoning has to be not overdone on the causes of environmental failure for unnecessary expenses. :)

13. Red Fox VII

Red Fox VII Member

If you are, change. Libertarians suck.

snowtiggernd likes this.
  14. sunfighter

I was directly addressing her question, "Am I a libertarian"? It seems to me that many people who know a little about libertarianism and like what it says about freedom don't understand that it all falls apart when it comes to protecting the environment.

15. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Indeed, the federal government is the single largest consumer of energy with 500,000 buildings and 600,000 vehicles. In 2009 alone, the government’s bill for utilities and fuel totaled $24 billion, so it’s no surprise that the government’s carbon footprint is 123.2 million metric tons of carbon dioxide a year.

State and local governments are also among the nation’s worst polluters. The Worst Polluter on Earth Is... The U.S. Federal Government

16. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

17. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

You sound like an average right-winger to me. Which unfortunately many of the modern libertarians seem to be.

18. parua

parua Members

I don't understand why anyone would be against bilingual education.

19. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

It is the person inside that counts. Not the sign over the door.

Running Horse likes this.
  20. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Because the environment has been doing so well under the current system.