Wish You Could Go Back and Do School All Over Again?

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by Amethyst87F, Jan 9, 2014.

1. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

you can download almost any book or study material, even whole "courses" if you wish ... a lot of learning can be had for free.

2. Pengu

Pengu Members

Yes, I do wish I could go back and finish.

Before I decided I wanted to be a hairstylist, I went to school for computer animation. I loved it. I didn't end up finishing though because, I didn't like the fact that it was all computerized. So, I stopped and went for hairstyling.
    I should have just finished :)

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i am aware of SOME materials being available. show me this "almost any".

ALL useful knowledge belongs in the public domain, as a universal right.

4. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

what i didnt say was that it was legal to do so.

https://www.udemy.com
    although not free, there seems to be a lot of courses here that can be taken relatively inexpensively. i do know that many colleges do offer truly free courses though online, what you wont get though is credits toward a degree, that you have to pay for somehow.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Nah. I did well at school.

I chose some classes for my electives where if I stayed with them from years 9-12 then I'd be two years advanced at university. So that's what I did. I chose sports, recreation and sports medicine. Completed my courses in those three years and then jumped into university and skipped two years of study. :)

School was good for friendships. I miss certain friends.

Not the work though. I accomplished what I needed to so that I wouldn't have to think of this question. I listened to my parents too and second eldest sister at the time to just do my school, do it properly and then don't worry about things.

That worked out. :)

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well i don't think credits and degrees are all that much to the point of learning for the sake of doing so, and for the sake of enjoying the use of that knowledge. degrees are something that looks good to put on a resume.
    but the kind of learning i'm talking about are lab classes, or classes with lab classes. hands on skill development. not about looking good to some personelle department, but learning how to actually DO and enjoy doing things. useful hard science, engineering, and even art SKILLS. not something you can get from taking tests and writing reports.

though i would also include access to science and engineering libraries, to keep up with the real deal of actual current developments.

the last at least, should be a universal freedom of information right.

1 person likes this.
  7. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

8. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Senior Member

Hello,

Streber ;).

Regards
    Gyro

9. FireWitch

FireWitch Member

I wish I would have done Geology instead.

10. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

I'd just piss my Teachers off even more.
    Not just by pointing out their usual errors but by being able to find supportive peer-reviewed evidence to back me up on my smartphone. :D

1 person likes this.
  11. storch

storch banned

Yeah, on second thought, I think I would like to go back. But just for one day so that I could kick the asses of a few teachers. Actually, that would only take me a half day . . . if that.

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I remember the folks'd say school best time of your life. And I also remember laughing outrageously at that. And I remember the first year we were all out of school and I remember I missed my friends and companions, I remember people left states, went travelling and I remember the faces I've never seen again nor heard their voice.

School? Sign me back up. :)

13. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I don't wish to retake highschool. I had a good time, great grades and was in a gifted school, which made university applications quite easy.

I do wish I could go back and not go to university though. I was pushed into it right after highschool before I even knew what I wanted to do. I just picked what I thought I liked the best because my parents told me I needed a university degree. It didn't take long before I realized that I hated what I was studying. I felt trapped and doing something I hated. I ended up going to college afterwards and learning a skill I actually love, cooking. If I had just gone straight to culinary school I wonder how my life would be now.

14. Sitka

Sitka viajera

I did my first degree for interest in the subject.

The second was for professional certification.

The third is for money.

The fourth one will be for personal challenge and interest.

15. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

What degrees do you have, if you don't mind saying

16. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Wish You Could Go Back and Do School All Over Again?

Not no...hell no! I'm a right brained person living in a left brain world. I can't capitulate to that way of thinking. I only got three and a half credits for two years of high school. My algebra teacher flunked me two years in a row, even though I got straight "A's" on all the tests. She flunked me because I didn't do my homework. Then I went in the army and took the GED test, and not only got my diploma from the state of Virginia, but only missed getting my first year of college by three points in English.

A college degree is a piece of paper that says you are programmable....I'm not.....but then, I'm not very successful in society either. eh.

17. Sitka

Sitka viajera

I have a double-major BA in Economics and Political Science.

I have a BEd in Education.

I'm just wrapping up the thesis for my MEd.

I'm planning on taking an MSc in Economics in the near future.

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i don't know about going back. i've always been paranoid of getting stuck in chronic hysteresis.
    but i do wish anyone could take any class that interested them, any time they felt like it, for no other cost then texts and materials.

(and i do remember the guy who ended up killing himself for getting in really big trouble for using deceptive means to gain access to online research materials, and the whole controversy over whether he should have been in trouble for doing so at all, or at least on the scale, of the court making an example of him to discourage others from attempting to.)

i don't think anyone should have to go backward in time, to study whatever they wanted to learn, nor declare a major nor take a full credit load.

nor that any useful information, that isn't of propriatory origen, should be held propritory and for profit, but rather by right, belongs to anyone and everyone.

19. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Do I get the 18 year old body if I go back to school?

20. Nymira

Nymira Members

I am extremely grateful for all of the experiences I've had up to this point, even the bad, because I feel like they've shaped me into the person I am now. If I could go back and keep everything I've experienced and know everything that I know, then I would love to have a clean slate going into college and actually have my life goal already figured out so I could just get in, get it done, and get out and maybe even by now have a masters and be working in a field that I love... but like I said, I would have to keep my life experiences (and husband) to say yes.

I'm about to go back to school after years of what feels like wandering around blindly, not knowing what I want to do with my life. I'm so so excited to get moving in the direction I want to be headed, but it does kind of suck knowing I won't be college aged and that I can't get into the schools I'd really love to go to due to the failing grades from my previous college attempts when I didn't even have a reason to be there.