Wish You Could Go Back and Do School All Over Again?

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by Amethyst87F, Jan 9, 2014.

1. shygurl170

shygurl170 Members

Yes, I agree! I plan on doing both!

2. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

http://youtu.be/_xDjY7ccBcU

3. Chrysalis2027

Chrysalis2027 Members

I am in my second year of my second trip to college - I am getting so much more out of this experience than I did the first one. I am engaged and using my life experiences to help me understand content. I recommend it for everyone!

1 person likes this.
  4. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

I had a serious disadvantage when I was a kid. I had impairments that neither I nor my family or even the cocksucker doctors knew much about. Now, different story.

In fact, I'm looking forward to school this next spring. College, round #? (Lord knows how many times I keep trying). I hope, I pray, this time it all works out. Just gotta work my ass off. But I have a much better chance as I know a lot more about myself and my goals than I did before.
    Last time I went to college ended in failure back in 2000.

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

if i could get my cock sucked when i went to the doctor's office, i would invent impairments to get me there more often.

1 person likes this.
  6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

We still had to get from nerd land to home.
    That can be the gauntlet.
    Bus riders, walking, or my absolute fave, PE class. I was bruised from third grade onward, by fellow students. I left at the end of my sophomore year and after some drifting hit community college and university.

7. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Good points. Much bullying goes on outside of school.

8. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

that's because people are assholes and view your difference as the whole embodiment of you, rather than acknowledging your uniqueness.

9. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I was bored to tears in school, never really did much work, but aced tests and in the process frustrated and pissed off my teachers and councilors.
    I took the GED at 16 and started college that fall at 17.

If I could go back and still retain my perspective from now, I would in a second if only to learn the discipline that could be gained from actually applying myself instead of fucking around.

the learning new stuff can be done anywhere, anytime, it is the discipline that I lacked.

10. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Teaching and learning is an unending process as long as we breath. I wish school to be more accessible.

11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i'm not interested in retracing any step in this life or any other. what i do wish we could all do, anyone who wanted to, is to take any accredited undergraduate class they felt like, any semister they felt like doing so, for absolutely free.

i can of course purchase and read books, practice on any equipment i can afford to buy, watch video tutorials and so on. but sometimes it would be nice to be able to take an actual course, by an accredited professor, take the tests and earn the credits, even if i never actually applied them toward and kind of degree.

i would also like every college and university science and engineering library, to be open to the public, who, in most cases, actually pay for them.

and of course, i would like colleges and universities to spend more on each of their libraries, science, engineering and art departments, then they do on athletics.

(and i don't mean jacked up price, university infotainment "extension" classes either.)

12. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I did actually go back to full time education for a couple of years back in the 90's. I enjoyed it, and benefited from the experience. Unfortunately, I had to quit my degree course because of social pressures.
    That's the problem, or can be. When you're older it's more likely you have commitments to other things. In my case, I became a single parent after my marriage folded, and I couldn't do that and continue with the course. It seemed to me I should look after my daughter while she pursued her education - and that worked out well.
    By the time my daughter was grown and settled into her own life, I'd gone off in other directions.

Academic study is good. But the school of life itself teaches the most valuable lessons. So it often seems.

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

No. I wouldn't go back. I mean I wish I could be 17 again with the knowledge of what I know now but meh, I've got a good life.

If I could go back to a time where I could pin point an event or cause of my depression and personality problems then maybe I'd go back and see things over. But I believe it just makes me who I am or who I've become, and that's me. So I don't know.

14. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

15. shygurl170

shygurl170 Members

High School; not have been so damn shy; and would have taken Spanish
    College: I liked college; would have continued with taking Spanish--as it would benefit my current job.

16. Pieceofmyheart

Pieceofmyheart Grumpy old bitch HipForums Supporter

I hated school from elementary through high school, the rules, the intimidation....I was always anxious. But, college changed my perspective, made me realize I love learning. I got my degree and enjoyed working in that field for 20 plus years, and took continuing ed as well as random college classes here and there. 2 years ago....in my mid 50's I went back to school and started a whole new career.

I still love learning :daisy:

If I could go back 20 some years....I would have home schooled my children.

17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there are many things i wish life were longer so i could do more of. i don't think i'd ever run out of classes i'd like to take if i didn't have to major in anything to do so.
    (and didn't have to do anything else with my time and it didn't cost anything to do so)
    it seems to me, that the main reason they've made higher education so expensive, is to keep people like me, from learning everything we'd like to.

i'm not interested in moving backward through time, but i am interested in some things many people mistakenly associate with doing so.

18. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

if you are talking about high school, no i would not wanna go back and redo that dumbed down curriculum.

however, i wouldnt mind committing my life to going to school and never really graduating ... as long as i was being continually taught new things, the material was advanced enough and the pace fast enough for me to not grow bored.

theres always more to learn about any particular subject you are interested in. even if today you know all that there is to know about some subject, tomorrow there will be more to learn.

19. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

And...another failure. It seems the college students are nothing more than high schoolers that make the college their next 'hood.

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i wish i could go forward or sideways to someplace where university engineering libraries were free and open to the general public.
    as they were most places i lived in the 70s and even well into the 80s.

where the purpose of education was to make useful knowledge, skills and abilities available to all who might wish to seek them,
    and not to hoard useful knowledge by privatizing it.

where you didn't even have to take classes, but could take as many or as few as you felt like, in whatever subjects might happen to interest you.

where news isn't infotainment, learning isn't propaganda, and both are about a real universe that isn't about hierarchy or little green pieces of paper.