What's the reasonable good justification...

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by Anaximenes, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

What'a the reasonably good justification for not informing people about the content of genetically modified foods in the products of General Foods? There is something about doing good for poor people. But I think they'd like us to believe that we're stupid about buying things in the supermarket.

A good dose of GMF would stop us wasting money on plausibly red listed Fish. Eh?:2thumbsup:

2. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I don't think there is a good justification for not informing people. If the manufacturer thinks it's so safe, they should label all of it and let consumers decide if they want to purchase it. I don't think they are modifying it for the consumers benefit at all. They are modifying it for the benefit of their own profit margin and in an attempt to control the food supply...which we are already seeing start to happen.

Obviously, I am not a fan of GMO products at all.

3. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

i don't have an answer to your question. i think they SHOULD label GMO food as such.

but i also think there is an insane amount of hype about how bad GMO foods are. i really don't think they are that bad for you in most cases.

4. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I don't think anyone really knows for sure just yet. I don't like the idea of being an unwilling and/or unknowing guinea pig.

5. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

that's why i think it should be labeled.

and let me clarify. i think that there is a lot of fear-mongering when it comes to GMO foods in general. there is not a very large risk involved with manipulating genetics. nature does it all the time - and not in some perfect way. there's no reason to trust how nature does it...although it's slower.

i think each GMO food should be evaluated on its own merits. like if they engineer corn to produce a toxin that kills a pest...then maybe i wouldn't wanna eat that.
    but if it allows the corn to produce "1x" concentration of said toxin, instead of getting sprayed with "5x"...that's a good tradeoff. of course many people would prefer to pay more for organic, and hope that it truly is.

and there are probably a lot of GMO foods that don't produce a toxin.

i should educate myself more on the topic.

gotta go eat dinner now ;)

6. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I think the argument has something to do with the fact that labeling GMO's would hurt sales. All about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$, big surprise.

Gotta remember that the rights of the corporations are often put before consumer rights.

7. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

And the poor consumer would have to put out the price for the higher rated food of the more ritzily "judged" consumer: personal satisfaction of luxury.