Nietzsche's ambivalence about the state

Discussion in 'Anarchy' started by Cherea, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

I've read practically all of Nietzsche's works and I can relate to Nietzsche's ambivalence about the state as I straddle the line between everyday/practical anarchy and a supporter of the minimalist state.

I found this resource online and I encourage interested parties to read it:

http://www.promethea.org/Misc_Compositions/Antipolitique.html

I understand Nietzsche is a polarizing figure in general, and in both anarchist and libertarian circles, as he does not adhere to the Non-Aggression Principle or Natural Rights (as I do not).

This thread is for those who have actually read Nietzsche or at least the link I've supplied above. I admittedly sympathize with Old Right Wing (H.L. Mencken)/classical conservative (Leo Strauss), ancap (David Friedman/David R. Barker), and libertarian thought (Ayn Rand, Friedrich Hayek, Milton Friedman).

I will summarily ignore posts which consider ancom to be the only legitimate expression of anarchy, and I will also ignore ad hominem attacks on Nietzsche (especially those who only know of Nietzsche from secondary sources).

Obviously, Nietzsche could not be considered a leftist of any kind. But I do wonder if one could still consider N. an anarchist/libertarian as Emma Goldman famously did even though Nietzsche himself derided anarchists of his day.

What do you think?

2. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

The link doesn't seem to work anymore...

Promethea.com goes to the site of a poet.

I have always looked at a Dionysian individual as very liberal, or even radical-----like a hippie. In fact I believe the hippie to be Nietzsche's Dionysian Ubermensch.

SO I would see his Dionysian as liberal tempered with an Apollonian conservatism.