Adult 50 plus Commune Idea

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by stormountainman, Dec 15, 2013.

1. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

I've been down in your hill country before. I'm starting to think you made a wise choice. It's affordable and warm and you've got enough ground. I'm looking for something similar now. In Colorado (my former love) everything is a half million or more! Around Missoula Montana it's about the same. Now I'm looking at Bad Axe Michigan but that might be too much snow?

2. stormountainman

Check out 994 Sullivan Rd Bad Axe Michigan 48413 and let me know what you think?

3. Rising From the Ashes

Rising From the Ashes Members

You cannot beat that price.
    Needs a bunch of work. We can manage most of it I'm sure. Just make a list, prioritize, and go from there. Those kitchen counters would SLAY my back (kinda tall) but a tall butcher block would fix that. Basic kitchen curtains I've made many times. (alot of lovely windows) That outbuilding looks interesting. Nice size lot. I know zero about the area, which would be my biggest concern.

I would definitely get one of those in-depth inspections. The low, low LOW price has me suspicious.
    But then I've become a cynical woman the older I get.

I found a pretty four bdrm farmhouse in M.F. but it's more than double this one.

stormountainman likes this.
  4. stormountainman

The price is low because it is way up north and they get a ton of snow. The area has more people in the summer but less in the winter. It's sort of like living in Alaska. You have to really like your roommates to get through the winter! I'm used to Wyoming/Colorado/Montana winters so I can learn to like the place.

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Many times this happens in an area that is suddenly becoming "affluent".... You need to check neighboring properties for McMansions. If found they are selling the place pretty much for removal/replacement. Believe me you do not want to live around those McMansion types. They thrive on making others that are not "just like them" miserable. They are also idiots that don't know how to live in rural areas, but that's another story....

6. Rising From the Ashes

So I've been researching on my tablet and found a site Storm. Happyinvestor.com. It looks like house-flippers use it. Most properties are CHEAP and all need work. Don't know if you've seen it. I went back to Sullivan Rd. listing. Big chunk of land.

Gotta scoot. Taking Akira out looking for my landlord's missing kitty. The coyotes in the Horse Heaven Hills are moving closer to town. There have been a huge increase in sightings. I'm so worried for little Tess.

7. stormountainman

I love horse back riding in the Horse Heaven Hills. I know a few guys who live there and ride a lot. One of them is an old man now . He was one of the two guys who filmed the Sasquatch in Bluff Creek California in 1967, near the Hoopa Reservation. Sullivan RD has 5 acres. That's the kind I'm looking at. I'm also looking at a house with several doors so if you get pissed off and start throwing cast iron pans at me I could escape.

8. Rising From the Ashes

Funny guy!.. Like a little thing like a door could stop me. LOL KIDDING! (how fast are you?)

And the Horse Heavens story - I didn't know that. Did you know that the crop circles in the 2002 movie "Signs" were copied from some found in a wheat field in the Horse Heavens?

Attached Files:

9. stormountainman

No, I didn't know about the crop circles there. I know Mel Gibson was in that movie. P.S. when I go slow they call me Poncho Villa; and, when I go fast they call me Speedy Gonzales! I just can't win for losing! Question: Do you like Fog Horn Leg Horn?

10. Rising From the Ashes

I love Foghorn! He was one of my favorites.

On a serious note. I've JUST let my adult children know what we're planning. It was difficult, especially when my eldest, my daughter Jennifer, tried to talk me out of it. I won't be. Talked out of it, that is. My kids have pretty much ignored me for the last decade, so they have ZERO say in this. If they want to visit, well there is that thing called a train.

On a more cheerful note. When I get mad I don't throw things. I'm sure you could outrun me anyway.

11. Rising From the Ashes

P.S. I used to work on the Hanford Nuclear Reservation, back when they were building the reactor. It was a construction site. My stepfather was a union shop steward.
    Translation: sometimes this grandmother has a potty mouth. But I'm working on it. Made myself a cuss jar. Just an FYI.( I like Yosemite Sam too!!)

12. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

So you don't get mad... you get even.

13. stormountainman

One time when I was trucking I had to go to Gadsden Alabama to pick up a load of chicken to take to Chicago. I stopped at a truck stop and the woman at the fuel desk was all wrapped up in bandages and had an arm in a cast. I asked her if she had been in a car accident. She said no, and it was because her husband had shot her five times. I replied with, "Oh my God!" And then she said she wasn't mad at him because he had only did that after she shot him seven times!

14. stormountainman

All my friends at the Yakima truck stop told me about that wild Granny and how she could make a cattle hauler blush!

15. Rising From the Ashes

No. But to be honest, I had done so decades ago. Example:

When I was married and Jennifer was a baby my dumb-shit ex thought it'd be funny to start grabbing my boobs first thing when he came home from swing shift. I'd be washing up the dinner prep dishes and he walk up behind me and BOOM. No words of greeting. No squeeze of my shoulders or kiss on the side of my face, just straight to the girls. I asked him to PLEASE greet ME first, then the "girls." He continued . I then told him it was insulting and made me feel like a piece of meat. He continued for about another week. So I asked myself, "how AM I going to get my message across to this fool that I love"?

For the next three nights, I greeted him at the door with an enthusiastic "HI HONEY! How was your day," as I (softly mind you) grabbed his package.
    The look of utter shock was priceless. After the third time, he was like... "OK, ok, I get it. That IS demeaning."

16. Rising From the Ashes

LMAO!
    I'm a work in progress, but then aren't we all.

Picture this.
    I'm driving in heavy traffic with baby Jennifer in her car-seat in the back...
    Some idiot cuts in front of us, almost clipping the bumper... I practically stood on my brakes.
    Mindful of the child who is just beginning to use full sentences, and KNOWING I need to clean up my act, I clench the steering wheel and yell... "You, you... MORON"!
    This sweet like voice from the back asks, "does that mean they're not assholes anymore Mommy"?

17. Rising From the Ashes

OMG!
    And then you ran...(I would have!)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  18. stormountainman

I'm going to reserve my comments here and ponder the grab 'em picture first. Kiss on the cheek first then go for the girls … got it!

19. Rising From the Ashes

Just a GREETING would have been nice! Otherwise it's rather rude. And that was my point.

20. stormountainman

OK, I just said that in jest. I just got back from my second mile walk today and talked with my daughter because it is father's day. I also looked at a few more places. Down close to I-70 in east central Indiana there are lots of cheapo places with some good ground. I wouldn't mind a small town that way. Tyrson has a similar place in Ohio with close to an acre and he got it for reasonable money.