Adult 50 plus Commune Idea

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by stormountainman, Dec 15, 2013.

1. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Just saw that and he was one of my favorites too. I like Tom Waits too. Some of their tunes are similar 1920's & 30's speakeasy style.

Rising From the Ashes likes this.
  2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Lyme disease has spread into this area... Deer ticks are getting bad. Luckily they tend to leave me alone, but other people in the area complain about them.

3. stormountainman

I was driving through Texas in my Semi Truck rig and stopped to let my Catahula Hound go for a walk. When we got back in the truck he had some Beetle looking insects on him & they were black with red spots. When I was removing them from my dog I got bit by one on my neck. They turned out to be Kissing Bugs. They can be nasty too.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

There was a Chinese Kissing bug out in California... They would leave a welt the size of a golf ball and you wouldn't even feel the bite.

5. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

I come you're only including the youngsters? What about us 70 year olds that were actually there? ;-)

6. stormountainman

People who were in their sixties when I first started this would now be in their 70s. If you are in your eighties you would still be welcome. We don't have rules or by-laws written down yet; however, this commune will most likely be a very left wing liberal environment friendly civil rights refuge which serves Mexican Food and Muslim Yogurt Drinks.

7. stormountainman

I was reading up on that, because my doctor told me about the Chagas Disease which is carried by the Kissing Bug. It has symptoms similar to Lyme disease including arthritis & joint damage. The disease can come back after ten years and cause heart and colon problems. Anywhere we live in this world new problems could show up. In Africa they have Ebola and Black Mamba snakes.

8. Rising From the Ashes

Rising From the Ashes Members

Good afternoon everyone!

I was wondering if there was any way for everyone to *meet* before the community really takes off. Any thoughts on a video chat at that time?

And when I head down to Alpha Farm next month, I plan on asking them a LOT of questions, specifically regarding keeping the group cohesive. If anyone wants a question asked, let me know. (I hope they let me through the gate with my *bribery pie")

9. stormountainman

I don't have questions for them but if you know how to make real Boston Cream Pie with real cream custard and real chocolate you'll need to live in our commune.

10. Rising From the Ashes

My specialty is fruit pies, but I also make a kick-butt Lemon Meringue Pie and Sweet Potato Pie.
    Never made a Boston Creme, but just looked it up. Looks easy enough. (the secret is the crust)

Speaking of fruit pies - I hope wherever we land is a good place to grow apples... And peaches... And cherries...And strawberries... Lol.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    stormountainman likes this.
  11. Rising From the Ashes

Forget to mention... I've had the plans for a Langstroth bee hive for a few years now. (I like to build stuff )
    Might come in handy.
    And our pollinators are in serious trouble.

12. stormountainman

Fruit trees take 5 years to start producing. I've raised them before. I'm in Amish country here so everything grows, pretty much anyway. I know people in Colorado who raised bees. I've never done it but it seems easy enough. I've seen commercial hives around here. People rent them out to farmers all over. I used to know a man in Delta Utah who did that. He used to rent them out all the way up north around Tremonton. Around here you can go to the Amish market or farmer's market and buy stuff direct, if you don't grow it yourself. If you do grow it, you gotta make sure the rabbits don't eat everything. They ate all my beans and all my acorn squash.

13. Rising From the Ashes

Yes. A rabbit proof fence is a must have.

14. OlderWaterBrother

I was just kidding around, a commune without a sense of humor ... Well the Mexican Food sounds inviting.

15. stormountainman

Well … we all have a sense of humor. It's just right now I'm trying to get serious people together. In 2013 I started with this idea of getting older Hippies together to live together, because it would be better than living alone on government income in some government apartment. No one is forced to join. If this type of commune has no appeal to you then feel free to check out another.

Logan 5 likes this.
  16. stormountainman

Where I live now in Indiana I tried to put up an electric fence like what ranchers use in Colorado. Someone reported me to the police. They asked me why I wanted it and I said I wanted to keep the Republicans out. They had no sense of humor.

17. OlderWaterBrother

Calling something a commune does not in of itself make it a pleasant place to live. It is the nature of the people who live there that make a commune what it is.

Logan 5 and stormountainman like this.
  18. Rising From the Ashes

I'm curious Water... Have you experienced communal living? If so, you can tell us what worked, and what didn't. I am in total agreement on the very real possibility of clashing personalities.

19. Rising From the Ashes

Does anybody have experience writing charters? I've saved a couple of resources and am playing around with it.

stormountainman likes this.
  20. Rising From the Ashes

(and what about finding a large enough foreclosed house? It's a sad commentary on our current society - but there are fairly nice, big places out there.)